Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

 
Ormandy Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 12-2003
Posts: 1541
Reply | Quote
Re: Clearly Quite Absurd


quote:

Hard Lovin Man (great song)....than Hard Lovin Woman (poor song)



Love 'em both! emoticon
19/12/2005, 18:19 Link to this post Send Email to Ormandy   Send PM to Ormandy
 
Eirik Solum Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2004
Posts: 2477
Reply | Quote
Re: Clearly Quite Absurd


quote:

Star City wrote:

quote:






It's not a question of quality...it's a question of no promotion or radio air play...at least in the states.



Sure? How come new Robert Plant, new Dylan, new Maiden, new Ozzy (ok...tv), new Bowie, new System of a Down, new Audioslave, new... a lot of rock music - sells and gets attention? I think it is because more people find the quality of those bands higher than present Purple. I think... emoticon Hey..listen to Girls Like That, look me in the eyes, and tell me it is quality music. Or progressive hard rock, like DP say it is... emoticon emoticon

Last edited by Eirik Solum, 19/12/2005, 19:14
19/12/2005, 19:13 Link to this post Send Email to Eirik Solum   Send PM to Eirik Solum
 
Carramba Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 716
Reply | Quote
Re: Clearly Quite Absurd


quote:

Eirik Solum wrote:

quote:

Star City wrote:

quote:






It's not a question of quality...it's a question of no promotion or radio air play...at least in the states.



Sure? How come new Robert Plant, new Dylan, new Maiden, new Ozzy (ok...tv), new Bowie, new System of a Down, new Audioslave, new... a lot of rock music - sells and gets attention? I think it is because more people find the quality of those bands higher than present Purple. I think... emoticon Hey..listen to Girls Like That, look me in the eyes, and tell me it is quality music. Or progressive hard rock, like DP say it is... emoticon emoticon




Brtiney Spears also sells a whole lot more than Deep Purple. Now that's quality!

I guess ROTD, CQA, DLG, B2B, MTV, BTB, etc... are no quality match to Oops I Did it Again.
19/12/2005, 19:41 Link to this post Send Email to Carramba   Send PM to Carramba
 
Ormandy Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 12-2003
Posts: 1541
Reply | Quote
Re: Clearly Quite Absurd


quote:

Hey..listen to Girls Like That, look me in the eyes, and tell me it is quality music. Or progressive hard rock, like DP say it is.



It's a feel good song! If it gets me up and moving and puts a smile on my face, it's quality, or quality filler! One of the people I've turned ROTD onto said - Money Talks is good, but I love Girls Like That! He's more of a pop-rock oriented guy, so there you go.

The album ROTD has so many styles of hard rock on it, doesn't that make it progressive hard rock by definition.

Last edited by Ormandy, 19/12/2005, 20:47
19/12/2005, 20:31 Link to this post Send Email to Ormandy   Send PM to Ormandy
 
Gillans micstand Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Banned user

Registered: 11-2003
Posts: 12425
Reply | Quote
Re: Clearly Quite Absurd


quote:

Eirik Solum wrote:

quote:

Star City wrote:

quote:






It's not a question of quality...it's a question of no promotion or radio air play...at least in the states.



Sure? How come new Robert Plant, new Dylan, new Maiden, new Ozzy (ok...tv), new Bowie, new System of a Down, new Audioslave, new... a lot of rock music - sells and gets attention? I think it is because more people find the quality of those bands higher than present Purple. I think... emoticon Hey..listen to Girls Like That, look me in the eyes, and tell me it is quality music. Or progressive hard rock, like DP say it is... emoticon emoticon




Major crackpot statement Erik...how long will it take you to see the media for what it is?
It has zero to do with quality music anymore,and hasn't for decades..."simply a question of MARKET FORCES" and that surley can't be denied,it's almost as if your think the industry is full of honesty and accuracy and fairness on this subject.

If you don't hear something,how on earth can you rate it?,but it's not because it isn't good that the masses aren't getting to hear it,thats because sophisticated music scares the hell out of the industry,bottom line.

19/12/2005, 21:50 Link to this post Send Email to Gillans micstand
 
Fireball Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 235
Reply | Quote
Re: Clearly Quite Absurd


quote:

Eirik Solum wrote:

quote:

Star City wrote:

quote:






It's not a question of quality...it's a question of no promotion or radio air play...at least in the states.



Sure? How come new Robert Plant, new Dylan, new Maiden, new Ozzy (ok...tv), new Bowie, new System of a Down, new Audioslave, new... a lot of rock music - sells and gets attention? I think it is because more people find the quality of those bands higher than present Purple. I think... emoticon Hey..listen to Girls Like That, look me in the eyes, and tell me it is quality music. Or progressive hard rock, like DP say it is... emoticon emoticon



I don't think that is a fair statement - many of the artists you mention are fairly "automatic" with regard to name recognition and media hype. Some of these artists could piss on a cd and it would sell. Another artist who could put out sh#t for years and still get the adoring media drooling is Bruce Springsteen.

Deep Purple never were an "automatic" seller except that an argument could be made that in the mid 70s they were. Regardless, they were never as popular with the media or masses on a more superficial level than say Led Zep or the Who. I always felt that for Purple to sell they had to prove themselves over and over. They didn't do that with the reunion and they lost their popularity. I honestly feel if they came out with the quality of Purpendicular, Bananas and ROTD in the eighties they would have hit stride for a longer time. Nobody was waiting for them with bated breath after the reunion disaster for their next album when Morse joined them -they were yesterday's news and Morse to Purple's credit didn't have the marquee name - it's too bad. But there is still some of us who enjoy them and they are still able to make a living off us so things can't be that awful.
19/12/2005, 23:30 Link to this post Send Email to Fireball   Send PM to Fireball
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info



Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Clearly Quite Absurd


This discussion reminds me of the bright DP fans who put down Blackmore's Night on the basis that DP sells more records.
20/12/2005, 7:51 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
Gillans micstand Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Banned user

Registered: 11-2003
Posts: 12425
Reply | Quote
Re: Clearly Quite Absurd


Fair asessment as usual I'd say. emoticon
20/12/2005, 8:58 Link to this post Send Email to Gillans micstand
 
Eirik Solum Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2004
Posts: 2477
Reply | Quote
Re: Clearly Quite Absurd


quote:

Fireball wrote:

quote:

Eirik Solum wrote:

quote:

Star City wrote:

quote:






It's not a question of quality...it's a question of no promotion or radio air play...at least in the states.



Sure? How come new Robert Plant, new Dylan, new Maiden, new Ozzy (ok...tv), new Bowie, new System of a Down, new Audioslave, new... a lot of rock music - sells and gets attention? I think it is because more people find the quality of those bands higher than present Purple. I think... emoticon Hey..listen to Girls Like That, look me in the eyes, and tell me it is quality music. Or progressive hard rock, like DP say it is... emoticon emoticon



I don't think that is a fair statement - many of the artists you mention are fairly "automatic" with regard to name recognition and media hype. Some of these artists could piss on a cd and it would sell. Another artist who could put out sh#t for years and still get the adoring media drooling is Bruce Springsteen.

Deep Purple never were an "automatic" seller except that an argument could be made that in the mid 70s they were. Regardless, they were never as popular with the media or masses on a more superficial level than say Led Zep or the Who. I always felt that for Purple to sell they had to prove themselves over and over. They didn't do that with the reunion and they lost their popularity. I honestly feel if they came out with the quality of Purpendicular, Bananas and ROTD in the eighties they would have hit stride for a longer time. Nobody was waiting for them with bated breath after the reunion disaster for their next album when Morse joined them -they were yesterday's news and Morse to Purple's credit didn't have the marquee name - it's too bad. But there is still some of us who enjoy them and they are still able to make a living off us so things can't be that awful.



You v'e got a point. And they are far from awful! I DO listen to the albums. And I'ts not fair or very interesting to judge a band from their sales, no.

But still there are some interesting mecanisms in the "automatic" sellers, as you put it. How do they become that? When they get lots of press decade after decade (without press scandales or bullsh**) and sell much when they put out their 30th album, it can't be trend or fashion. As you say DP where automatic sellers in the 70s - and they where not very trendy og fashnable. Was it quality? Yes. I mean that the only thing that can give you automatic sales after 25 years is quality.

If DP could keep the quality from the 70s all the years from 72 (69) to now, they would have the same status as say Zep and The Who, and probably be "automatic sellers". I really think so. The thing is, those who can "piss on a cd and still sell" very, very seldom piss on their albums...:-) But when they do - on the 26th album - yes, people get fooled..

That may be a simplistic analyzis, but it's mine anyway emoticon

My fave is Perfect Strangers, and I can see that from many another people's point of view, it can't be DP's best album. So it's not THAT interesting how much they sell or how big they are - but I actually think it sometimes CAN be a fair stand in for the objectivity that is no existant when it come to music... If fashion is out of the way.

Last edited by Eirik Solum, 20/12/2005, 10:54
20/12/2005, 10:51 Link to this post Send Email to Eirik Solum   Send PM to Eirik Solum
 
Gillans micstand Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Banned user

Registered: 11-2003
Posts: 12425
Reply | Quote
Re: Clearly Quite Absurd


quote:

Erik Solum wrote:

If DP could keep the quality from the 70s all the years from 72 (69) to now, they would have the same status as say Zep and The Who, and probably be "automatic sellers". I really think so. The thing is, those who can "piss on a cd and still sell" very, very seldom piss on their albums...:-) But when they do - on the 26th album - yes, people get fooled..



This is a fact?
Too hard to actually prove...don't you think?

Nice theory though,but hard to support.
20/12/2005, 11:02 Link to this post Send Email to Gillans micstand
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 





You are not logged in (login)