Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3 

 
MrEd45 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Admin

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 9983
Reply | Quote
Re: Blackmores best guitar work (Lp`s or CD`s)


quote:

Milan Fahrnholz wrote:

a)...but to showcase some typical Blackmore style playing

b) I´d rather play Stormbringer, Stargazer, Gates Of Babylon, Anya or Ariel.

c) Okay I think he was a lot heavier on the Hendrix copy on the Mark I albums(now tell me a good reason why he wasn´t) but it was still there for most parts of In Rock the Hendrix influence is still awfully obvious there.







a) I thought the idea was to showcase some of Blackmore's unique style, but maybe it's just 'cause I'm an old horse I get get confused easily. emoticon

b) To illustrate the unique, the typical or the uniquely typical/typically unique work of Blackmore? emoticon

c) I might can get down wit dat! If there was any "Hendrix imitating" by Blackmore going on, it most likely can be found on DP's first two studio albums. By the completion of the sessions for the 2nd DP studio album Blackmore had most certainly started the blazing of his own trail or had made the first impressions of his own unique way of playing + expressing himself through his six-stringed instrument on the world of hard rock.
  I was saying it during the summer and fall of 1969, after first hearing Blackmore's playing within the previous couple of months (sometime in the spring/early summer of 1969), and I'll say it again now: "This guy [in this group Deep Purple - can't use that last part now, I know - MrEd is way better than Jimi Hendrix." Blackmore was definitely a better guitarist - in my non-humble opinion - than Jimi Hendrix by the start of 1969 and it remained that way 'til Hendrix' untimely death in 1970 - though I'm confident it would've remained that way for me personally even had Hendrix lived longer. I got stick (as my Brit friends would say emoticon ) for saying it then, so if I get stick for saying it now I shan't be surprised.

---
" Those who can - do. Those who can't do - teach. Those who can't do or teach - administrate."
- Anon.

" One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
16/3/2005, 22:14 Link to this post Send Email to MrEd45   Send PM to MrEd45 Blog
 
Mofo Lives Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2004
Posts: 421
Reply | Quote
Re: Blackmores best guitar work (Lp`s or CD`s)


quote:

MrEd45 wrote:

quote:

Milan Fahrnholz wrote:

a)...but to showcase some typical Blackmore style playing

b) I´d rather play Stormbringer, Stargazer, Gates Of Babylon, Anya or Ariel.

c) Okay I think he was a lot heavier on the Hendrix copy on the Mark I albums(now tell me a good reason why he wasn´t) but it was still there for most parts of In Rock the Hendrix influence is still awfully obvious there.







a) I thought the idea was to showcase some of Blackmore's unique style, but maybe it's just 'cause I'm an old horse I get get confused easily. emoticon

b) To illustrate the unique, the typical or the uniquely typical/typically unique work of Blackmore? emoticon

c) I might can get down wit dat! If there was any "Hendrix imitating" by Blackmore going on, it most likely can be found on DP's first two studio albums. By the completion of the sessions for the 2nd DP studio album Blackmore had most certainly started the blazing of his own trail or had made the first impressions of his own unique way of playing + expressing himself through his six-stringed instrument on the world of hard rock.
  I was saying it during the summer and fall of 1969, after first hearing Blackmore's playing within the previous couple of months (sometime in the spring/early summer of 1969), and I'll say it again now: "This guy [in this group Deep Purple - can't use that last part now, I know - MrEd is way better than Jimi Hendrix." Blackmore was definitely a better guitarist - in my non-humble opinion - than Jimi Hendrix by the start of 1969 and it remained that way 'til Hendrix' untimely death in 1970 - though I'm confident it would've remained that way for me personally even had Hendrix lived longer. I got stick (as my Brit friends would say emoticon ) for saying it then, so if I get stick for saying it now I shan't be surprised.




Got to disagree with you on this Ed, as it relates to personal preferences. No way RB from 1968 to 1970 is better than Hendrix during the same time span. I'ld say around 1970 RB was really closing the gap on the great Jimi, and as far as I'm concerned, RB took Jimi's torch from 1970-77 as the best rock guitar player.
16/3/2005, 22:23 Link to this post Send Email to Mofo Lives   Send PM to Mofo Lives
 
PaganinisViolin Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Banned user

Registered: 03-2005
Posts: 155
Reply | Quote
Re: Blackmores best guitar work (Lp`s or CD`s)


hendrix as a guitarist/songwriter.....overrated.

blackmore is a better guitarist/composer by miles.
even in 1969, just listen to a live recording of wring that neck of that year where he is just awesome and then listen to hendrix playing off-key most of the time on stage the same year...hendrix had his best years just before he became popular, after the breakthrough it went downhill FAST.
performance-wise (show/tricks/etc), yes hendrix was maybe more impressive....if he had "good" drugs that night that is emoticon but purely from a musician point of view blackmore was way ahead, so was page and beck.

its politically incorrect to say it, but thats the truth.
16/3/2005, 22:50 Link to this post Send Email to PaganinisViolin   Send PM to PaganinisViolin
 
MrEd45 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Admin

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 9983
Reply | Quote
Re: Blackmores best guitar work (Lp`s or CD`s)


quote:

Mofo Lives wrote:

a) Got to disagree with you on this Ed, as it relates to personal preferences.

b) No way RB from 1968 to 1970 is better than Hendrix during the same time span.

c) I'd say around 1970 RB was really closing the gap on the great Jimi...

d)...and as far as I'm concerned, RB took Jimi's torch from 1970-77 as the best rock guitar player.






a) Yep - it all comes down to personal preferences in the end, doesn't it? Perfectly fine to be disagreed* with about them...it doesn't bother me at all because I know my preferences are the correct ones... emoticon / emoticon...and like I said: "I got stick for saying it then, so if I get stick for saying it now I shan't be surprised."

b) I said - "...by the start of 1969...". I grudgingly concede 1968 to Hendrix as far as a 'comparison' or whatever to Blackmore, but I will concede the years 1966/67 to Hendrix by far. Anyway, like I point out, I wasn't referring to any year prior to 1969...just for the record. emoticon

c) We only differ as to when we're saying that the gap was closed prior to this (1970). You say during 1970. I say as the beginning of 1969. Fair enough.

d) No argument from me. emoticon


* I do think it should be noted that I'm being disagreed with by a guy who unfailingly picks the New Jersey Jets to win the Super Bowl every football season... emoticon ...and whom it's been rumored isn't above seeking solace + comfort from his Granpappy's medicine cabinet. emoticon ( emoticon / emoticon )

---
" Those who can - do. Those who can't do - teach. Those who can't do or teach - administrate."
- Anon.

" One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
16/3/2005, 22:53 Link to this post Send Email to MrEd45   Send PM to MrEd45 Blog
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info



Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Blackmores best guitar work (Lp`s or CD`s)


quote:

PaganinisViolin wrote:
hendrix as a guitarist/songwriter.....overrated.



As a guitarist, yes, but as a songwriter, he's vastly underrated. This is because people look at the first album, with Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Fire etc, the three-chord stuff. Sure, Electric Ladyland had filler material like Little Miss Strange or House Burning Down, but stuff like Burning Of The Midnight Lamp and 1983 are highly original tunes (whether you like them is irrelevant).

And he was moving in a more varied direction in the last years. I personally think the stuff he did right before his death eclipse most of the material he did earlier, but in any case, his songwriting was widening all the time.

quote:


its politically incorrect to say it, but thats the truth.



Drop the PC filter. It mainly adds up to the negative feelings.

17/3/2005, 7:59 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
Mofo Lives Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2004
Posts: 421
Reply | Quote
Re: Blackmores best guitar work (Lp`s or CD`s)


quote:

Rezi wrote:

And he was moving in a more varied direction in the last years. I personally think the stuff he did right before his death eclipse most of the material he did earlier, but in any case, his songwriting was widening all the time.





Couldn't have said it any better. I'll always favor his later work, as his best. A great example is the song Freedom. Listen closely to all those nice fills throughout the song, something that RB picked-up on and later refined for his trademark "snake charmer" sound.


Last edited by Mofo Lives, 17/3/2005, 12:33
17/3/2005, 12:31 Link to this post Send Email to Mofo Lives   Send PM to Mofo Lives
 
MrEd45 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Admin

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 9983
Reply | Quote
Re: Blackmores best guitar work (Lp`s or CD`s)


 Maybe a few comments from Blackmore regarding Hendrix and himself...


Q: Around "Fireball + "Machine Head" [1971 - 72] your playing took on a blues and funk edge. Did Hendrix have anything to do with that?

A: " I was impressed by Hendrix. Not so much by his playing as his attitude - he wasn't a great player, but everything else about him was brilliant. Even the way he walked was amazing. His guitar playing, though, was always a little bit weird. Hendrix inspired me, but I was still more into Wes Montgomery. I was also into the Allman Brothers around the time of those albums."

Q: You started using the vibrato bar extensively on 'In Rock'.

A: " Yes, that's right. I'd seen the James Cotton Blues Band at the Fillmore East and the guitarist in the band [Matt 'Guitar' Murphy (?)] played with the vibrato bar. He got the most amazing sounds. Right after seeing him, I started using the bar. Hendrix inspired me too." -

Ritchie Blackmore to Mordechai Kleidermacher for Guitar World February, 1991



Q: Apart from yourself, who is the single most influential guitarist - any style - of the 'modern' era? - Mitch f/Guernsey

A: " Jimi Hendrix or Jeff Beck. For me, the early influential ones were Hank Marvin [of the Shadows], Tony Harvey of Nero + The Gladiators and Jim Sullivan. Then I heard Beck's 'Shapes of Things' and it was a miulestone in rock for me. Then Eric [Clapton] and Cream came along and opened up all the doors for all the heavy guitar players." - Ritchie Blackmore in Classic Rock, August 2000



Q: Who was your first guitar 'hero' ?

A: " That would be Duane Eddy. When I was 13 years old I heard things like 'The Lonely One', 'Rebel Rouser', 'Cannonball' and I thought they were just fantastic. After that, I just love Django Reinhardt, Wes Montgomery, Charley Christian, Scotty Moore, Cliff Gallup, Les Paul; all those were guys I listened to early on. My vibrato didn't come fron Duane Eddy, though - it came from trying to take Hendrix one step further." - Ritchie Blackmore in Guitar magazine, 1999.



Q: Of the crop of 'classic' British guitarists - Clapton, Beck, Page, Green, et al - there are those who would tout Blackmore as the best, he certainly had the most technique. So why do EC and the others seem to achieve all the acclaim?

A: " Every guitarist should be thankful to Eric Clapton + Jeff Beck. They really started the whole thing off. Of course then Hendrix came along and did the 'guitar thing' too. But Jeff [Beck] was the best guitar player." - Ritchie Blackmore in Guitarist January 1996.

Last edited by MrEd45, 17/3/2005, 22:54


---
" Those who can - do. Those who can't do - teach. Those who can't do or teach - administrate."
- Anon.

" One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
17/3/2005, 21:09 Link to this post Send Email to MrEd45   Send PM to MrEd45 Blog
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info



Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Blackmores best guitar work (Lp`s or CD`s)


Mofo, yes, Freedom, Ezy Rider, Drifting, the Band Of Gypsys songs (for example, the increbile amount of great riffs in Message Of Love and Power Of Soul - just two tracks!), Room Full Of Mirrors, Hey Baby... IMO, there was a new kind of feel to melody and harmonics, with the cost of volume and in-your-face attitude. The guy grew up musically so much in a year or two.

Have you heard Steve Lukather's version of Freedom, btw? When I heard he'd done it, I was sure I don't want to hear it. But when I did, I liked it a lot.

Just listened to Live At Filmore East. I have to say it adds a little to BOG. They sure picked the best versions for the original album.

Ed, I think I've noticed a pattern in RB's comments on Hendrix during the decades: he's been admitting the influence more and more, whereas the praise for Claton has gone the other way...

Last edited by Rezi, 18/3/2005, 10:41
18/3/2005, 10:34 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
Mofo Lives Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2004
Posts: 421
Reply | Quote
Re: Blackmores best guitar work (Lp`s or CD`s)


quote:

Rezi wrote:

Mofo, yes, Freedom, Ezy Rider, Drifting, the Band Of Gypsys songs (for example, the increbile amount of great riffs in Message Of Love and Power Of Soul - just two tracks!), Room Full Of Mirrors, Hey Baby... IMO, there was a new kind of feel to melody and harmonics, with the cost of volume and in-your-face attitude. The guy grew up musically so much in a year or two.

Have you heard Steve Lukather's version of Freedom, btw? When I heard he'd done it, I was sure I don't want to hear it. But when I did, I liked it a lot.

Just listened to Live At Filmore East. I have to say it adds a little to BOG. They sure picked the best versions for the original album.

Ed, I think I've noticed a pattern in RB's comments on Hendrix during the decades: he's been admitting the influence more and more, whereas the praise for Claton has gone the other way...



I haven't heard of Lukather's version of Freedom...perhaps I need to check it out. What release is it on?

18/3/2005, 12:48 Link to this post Send Email to Mofo Lives   Send PM to Mofo Lives
 
Stargazer1976 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 03-2004
Posts: 377
Reply | Quote
Re: Blackmores best guitar work (Lp`s or CD`s)


quote:

Rezi wrote:
Ed, I think I've noticed a pattern in RB's comments on Hendrix during the decades: he's been admitting the influence more and more, whereas the praise for Claton has gone the other way...




Possibly so, but I think Beck has always been the one he's praised the most.
18/3/2005, 13:32 Link to this post Send Email to Stargazer1976   Send PM to Stargazer1976
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3 





You are not logged in (login)