Runboard.com
Слава Україні!
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3 

 
MrEd45 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Admin

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 9983
Reply | Quote
Re: Alien(s)


quote:

Super Trouper wrote:

You can see the knotted string that ties the monster's head on in The Brain That Wouldn't Die. That's an awful movie!





 Thus the 'grade z' rating. That means it's that far below a 'grade b'. emoticon

---
" Those who can - do. Those who can't do - teach. Those who can't do or teach - administrate."
- Anon.

" One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
11/5/2005, 19:08 Link to this post Send Email to MrEd45   Send PM to MrEd45 Blog
 
Rahul Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 6181
Reply | Quote
Re: Alien(s)


Alien v Predator was a bit shitty, but it still kicked the crap out of Freddy v Jason.

---
Well, the night I was born
Lord, I swear the moon turned a fire red

11/5/2005, 19:13 Link to this post Send Email to Rahul   Send PM to Rahul
 
MrEd45 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Admin

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 9983
Reply | Quote
Re: Alien(s)


quote:

Rezi wrote:

quote:

MrEd45 wrote:
Aliens - One of the best sci-fi movies ever made.



You mean one of the best Rambo remakes, right? emoticon





 Nope. Though considering that James Cameron had done one of the first drafts for the screenplay of "Rambo:First Blood Pt.II" (which was then given a pretty extensive re-write by Stallone) less than a year before doing "Aliens" the similarities aren't that surprising - at least to me.
 Regarding the "Rambo" series, I felt that after "First Blood" the series did go right to the 'comic book' level of entertainment - which isn't to say that that level is bad or anything. It was just after reading the novel "First Blood" and being quite surprised that the movie only deviated very slightly from the novel's author's (David Morrell) plot + intent (with one major exception, which I won't go into in case anyone ever wants to read the novel - which I highly reccomend), that the 'comic book level' of the sequels just wasn't something I cared to see happen to the Rambo character.
 All of which isd to say that sometimes I like being entertained on a 'comic book level' and sometimes I don't.



---
" Those who can - do. Those who can't do - teach. Those who can't do or teach - administrate."
- Anon.

" One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
11/5/2005, 19:21 Link to this post Send Email to MrEd45   Send PM to MrEd45 Blog
 
MrEd45 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Admin

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 9983
Reply | Quote
Re: Alien(s)


quote:

Milan Fahrnholz wrote:

It makes Starship Troopers look like an alltime classic piece of art.





 Another great sci-fi movie! From the book by one of the best sci-fi writers - Robert A. Heinlein.
 The movie suffered from a bit of - in my non-humble opinion - miscasting, but solid entertainment fare. I don't know about the rest of you folks, but that's my primary reason for watching movies - to be entertained, first + formost.

---
" Those who can - do. Those who can't do - teach. Those who can't do or teach - administrate."
- Anon.

" One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
11/5/2005, 19:27 Link to this post Send Email to MrEd45   Send PM to MrEd45 Blog
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info



Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Alien(s)


Ed, I think the science part is quite small in Aliens, in Starship Troopers it's very, very small... just an excuse to wear strange outfits.

I didn't know about the Cameron-Aliens connection, but now that I know, it makes for a crushing piece of evidence. Thanks! emoticon

Really, it doesn't make the difference if the enemy is an alien organism or three hundred battalions of Vietnamise. Both exist only to be wasted in these films. What about the climax, then: in Rambo a helicopter duel, in the Aliens, the mother beast versus the hero in a robot body.

The plot is the same: go into a hostile place, kill as many enemies as possible (actually, this is the only irreplacable bit), rescue somebody, a final battle against the evil, the End.
12/5/2005, 5:53 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
MrEd45 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Admin

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 9983
Reply | Quote
Re: Alien(s)


quote:

Rezi wrote:

a) Ed, I think the science part is quite small in Aliens, in Starship Troopers it's very, very small... just an excuse to wear strange outfits.

b) I didn't know about the Cameron-Aliens connection, but now that I know, it makes for a crushing piece of evidence. Thanks! emoticon

c) Really, it doesn't make the difference if the enemy is an alien organism or three hundred battalions of Vietnamise. Both exist only to be wasted in these films. What about the climax, then: in Rambo a helicopter duel, in the Aliens, the mother beast versus the hero in a robot body.

The plot is the same: go into a hostile place, kill as many enemies as possible (actually, this is the only irreplacable bit), rescue somebody, a final battle against the evil, the End.





a) Probably true, Rezi. I guess the fact both movies take place in the future/on another world/etc.,etc. is what qualifies them as sci-fi in my mind, more than anything else. No matter the category, still 2 wildly entertaining films.

b) No problemo! Always glad to help! emoticon

c) Yeah, in a lot of ways, and we can say this about literally tens of thousands of books/plays/movies, etc.,etc., it's the same story, over + over again. In these particular cases we're discussing, it's the re-telling of the Battle of Thermopylae - with minor changes here + there.

---
" Those who can - do. Those who can't do - teach. Those who can't do or teach - administrate."
- Anon.

" One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
12/5/2005, 13:27 Link to this post Send Email to MrEd45   Send PM to MrEd45 Blog
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info



Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Alien(s)


Yeah, Ed, and about your point c, that is the worrying part in the ever increasing production of remakes: they don't even bother to write their own versions of of the few basic storylines (called x by a Russian academic y who studied myths and called the storylines z*) anymore.

Fill in x, y and z for me, please, am I'll owe you a pint! emoticon
13/5/2005, 4:44 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3 





You are not logged in (login)