Runboard.com
Слава Україні!
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3  4  5 

 
danielb Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 10-2003
Posts: 3511
Reply | Quote
Re: 2022 tour


It will be interesting to see where DC goes next. I don’t think he has enough confidence in his voice to do a Starkers in Tokyo type tour and possibly not ”hungry” enough to assemble a new, bigger semi-acoustic band backing him up for An evening with... tour in theaters. Especially if the financial reward is smaller. Will he be able to resist the stage altogether though? He will be 72 when this tour ends.
14/5/2022, 11:04 Link to this post Send Email to danielb   Send PM to danielb
 
Wojak Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 01-2004
Posts: 1567
Reply | Quote
Re: 2022 tour


Well, I bit the bullet and went to Newcastle.

Pretty much a sellout I would say and lots of old style t-shirts as well as the newer styles.

Europe were fun because Joey is fun but they are not really my cup of tea.

I liked (but never loved) Foreigner with Lou Gramm but I really struggle with Kelly Hansen. I enjoyed seeing Mick Jones but he really does look frail. The audience loved them and the sound was good. Quite a few were there for this band as there was a minor exodus when they finished.

So, Whitesnake. They hit the ground running and Coverdale sounded great on Bad Boys but sound issues plagued the set. Coverdale's microphone kept dropping out as did some of the guitars at times. One minute David was crystal clear and the next you could hardly hear him but he was clearly singing. I will give him kudos for Crying in the Rain... he sounded great and managed to hit the notes and deliver a convincing performance.

He does trade some lines on some songs with Dino Jelusick and I can't say Dino's singing or stage presence impressed me particularly. I really am unsure as to why he is there at this point. The guitar keyboard solo thing was daft. If he is to be a replacement for David in the band when playing live then for me it would be a no.

I thought Tanya worked really well. Looked good and sounded good... her bass style does change the sound of the band and it's good to hear a female voice in the mix. She has a lot of personality.

The Tommy solo is what it is and I still believe he is unsuited to this band. No swing, no subtlety.

The guitar duel thing.... god, no. I'm sure it's clever but what a waste. A bit of thought could make this segment interesting.

The set was as BigJ said and Burn has now replaced Take Me With You (it would seem).

Coverdale was visibly crying at times (the first during Is This Love) and was obviously moved by the whole affair.

This does not feel like a farewell set on any level. It is just the Flesh and Blood Tour again... I think it will go on a while and I think they will be back in this country.

The merchandise was mostly shite.

PS: One more note; no was performing on the level of current Jon Bon Jovi... all (inc DC) were head and shoulders above him... if you don't know then check out his current performances.

Last edited by Wojak, 16/5/2022, 15:13
16/5/2022, 13:19 Link to this post Send Email to Wojak   Send PM to Wojak
 
Wojak Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 01-2004
Posts: 1567
Reply | Quote
Re: 2022 tour


quote:

danielb wrote:

It will be interesting to see where DC goes next. I don’t think he has enough confidence in his voice to do a Starkers in Tokyo type tour and possibly not ”hungry” enough to assemble a new, bigger semi-acoustic band backing him up for An evening with... tour in theaters. Especially if the financial reward is smaller. Will he be able to resist the stage altogether though? He will be 72 when this tour ends.



I think we are past the point of these intimate shows now... I think we will see more studio material from Whitesnake and probably a live performance like Foreigner with DC coming on at the end.



Last edited by Wojak, 16/5/2022, 13:23
16/5/2022, 13:22 Link to this post Send Email to Wojak   Send PM to Wojak
 
danielb Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 10-2003
Posts: 3511
Reply | Quote
Re: 2022 tour


Thanks for the review, Wojak.

Didn't know Foreigner had that many fans (the drop off after they finished).
17/5/2022, 15:27 Link to this post Send Email to danielb   Send PM to danielb
 
JohnH Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 1447
Reply | Quote
Re: 2022 tour


I believe Jon Bon Jovi has gone almost totally deaf. It’s not a stroke or anything else . His physical movements , eyes and guitar playing do not show any signs a stroke has occurred. He sings the way a deaf person talks . It’s the same as Bobby Kimball of Toto , who is now severely hearing impaired. Even on the lower tunings , Jon’s phrasing is completely off. Hopefully someone steps in and stops any further shows. I have read none are booked at the moment.
19/5/2022, 7:03 Link to this post Send Email to JohnH   Send PM to JohnH
 
Wojak Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 01-2004
Posts: 1567
Reply | Quote
Re: 2022 tour


quote:

JohnH wrote:

I believe Jon Bon Jovi has gone almost totally deaf. It’s not a stroke or anything else . His physical movements , eyes and guitar playing do not show any signs a stroke has occurred. He sings the way a deaf person talks . It’s the same as Bobby Kimball of Toto , who is now severely hearing impaired. Even on the lower tunings , Jon’s phrasing is completely off. Hopefully someone steps in and stops any further shows. I have read none are booked at the moment.



I didn't realise it was deafness. I've seen a couple of YouTube performances and it sounded bizarre. I understand David is also hard of hearing in at least one ear.

19/5/2022, 11:36 Link to this post Send Email to Wojak   Send PM to Wojak
 
fdr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 08-2011
Posts: 1778
Reply | Quote
Re: 2022 tour


quote:

danielb wrote:

Thanks for the review, Wojak.

Didn't know Foreigner had that many fans (the drop off after they finished).



Foreigner have always been a very hard live act to follow. They totally kill the night every time. They can, they have the hits and they always had a very soulful rock approach to the stage. I saw them make Journey sound redundant. I can only imagine the drop of intensity after they leave and you get modern Whitesnake. Really, no comparisons, worlds apart.

19/5/2022, 13:49 Link to this post Send Email to fdr   Send PM to fdr Blog
 
stuartcuk Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 11-2009
Posts: 234
Reply | Quote
Re: 2022 tour


Off to see them in Nottingham tonight. Looking forward to it, as I have managed expectations. He is 70, and an absolute musical hero of mine. He has made some wonderful music. I hope to enjoy most of it! And have any toilet/bar break penciled in for the guitar/keyboard and/or Tommy being Animal bit! Be interesting to see what I feel afterwards...
19/5/2022, 23:24 Link to this post Send Email to stuartcuk   Send PM to stuartcuk
 
danielb Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 10-2003
Posts: 3511
Reply | Quote
Re: 2022 tour


Have been watching some more clips from the London show. A few impressions:

- Foreigner. Well performed and well sung but is it Foreigner or a professional tribute act?

- Whitesnake. With DC positioned by himself out on the platform much of the time, it illustrates the problem with today's WS. They are just a group of hired guns backing up the star. With the star missing his trademark voice, things get a bit shallow. While there has been no real decline of his voice in the last 3 years or so, he is much helped by the downtuning which allows him to stay in a comfortable range, only slighly above "talk singing". But this is like the Rock of Ages version of Whitesnake. The approach feels dated. Slow an Easy misses its signature intro and goes straight into the riff. DC hardly sings the song. In Ain't No Love he is "ghosted" by Dino the whole time, even during the verses. I mean, what's the point?

Last edited by danielb, 20/5/2022, 3:59
20/5/2022, 3:58 Link to this post Send Email to danielb   Send PM to danielb
 
lightintheblack0 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 6300
Reply | Quote
Re: 2022 tour


quote:

danielb wrote:

Have been watching some more clips from the London show. A few impressions:

- Foreigner. Well performed and well sung but is it Foreigner or a professional tribute act?

- Whitesnake. With DC positioned by himself out on the platform much of the time, it illustrates the problem with today's WS. They are just a group of hired guns backing up the star. With the star missing his trademark voice, things get a bit shallow. While there has been no real decline of his voice in the last 3 years or so, he is much helped by the downtuning which allows him to stay in a comfortable range, only slighly above "talk singing". But this is like the Rock of Ages version of Whitesnake. The approach feels dated. Slow an Easy misses its signature intro and goes straight into the riff. DC hardly sings the song. In Ain't No Love he is "ghosted" by Dino the whole time, even during the verses. I mean, what's the point?




i agree with pretty much all of that

1.Thats NOT Foreigner it is indeed a tribute act!!Theres nobody in the band who had anything to do with their classic tracks .I know Mick rolls on a for a few tracks at the end but its really not Foreigner is it.

2. This is hard to say as hes a musical hero of mine but DC needs to retire from live performances hes finished vocally and looks ridiculous!!! im glad hes decided to do just that after this tour.
He has as always surrounded himself with great musicians but he is the star of the show and as he cant do it anymore its time to stop.
21/5/2022, 21:46 Link to this post Send Email to lightintheblack0   Send PM to lightintheblack0 Blog
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5 





You are not logged in (login)