Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2 

 
doggone Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2177
Reply | Quote
Re: Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple (studio albums)


Yes it does!! When it comes to Zep live, I think Last Concert in Japan is more exciting than the live releases I have of Zep.
8/4/2021, 15:30 Link to this post Send Email to doggone   Send PM to doggone
 
JSA1 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 1098
Reply | Quote
Re: Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple (studio albums)


This needs to be all MKII vs Zep. Not necessarily in exact order. You could put IR against either of the first two Zep releases. Fireball against III. MH against IV. CTTB against Presence. Stormbringer against Houses, etc. It would be a much better comparison.
13/4/2021, 18:05 Link to this post Send Email to JSA1   Send PM to JSA1
 
Apolllo Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 10-2005
Posts: 1019
Reply | Quote
Re: Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple (studio albums)


Quite right, if you do it in order, starting in 69, you get;

Deep Purple vs. LZ1
In Rock vs. LZ2
Fireball vs. LZ3
Machine Head vs. LZ4
Who Do We Think We Are vs. Houses of The Holy
Burn vs. Physical Graffiti
Stormbringer vs. Presence
CTTB vs. ITTOD

Which would be for me;

Deep Purple vs. LZ1
In Rock vs. LZ2
Fireball vs. LZ3
Machine Headvs. LZ4
Who Do We Think We Are vs. Houses of The Holy
Burn vs. Physical Graffiti (with a single version of PG, this would have been a tough one!)
Stormbringer vs. Presence (very tough one, I don't know, some vary average of each one, some good ones on each, perhaps Achilles Last Stand gets my vote...)
CTTB vs. ITTOD
 
14/4/2021, 20:34 Link to this post Send Email to Apolllo   Send PM to Apolllo
 
JSA1 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 1098
Reply | Quote
Re: Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple (studio albums)


quote:

Apolllo wrote:

Quite right, if you do it in order, starting in 69, you get;

Deep Purple vs. LZ1
In Rock vs. LZ2
Fireball vs. LZ3
Machine Head vs. LZ4
Who Do We Think We Are vs. Houses of The Holy
Burn vs. Physical Graffiti
Stormbringer vs. Presence
CTTB vs. ITTOD

Which would be for me;

Deep Purple vs. LZ1
In Rock vs. LZ2
Fireball vs. LZ3
Machine Headvs. LZ4
Who Do We Think We Are vs. Houses of The Holy
Burn vs. Physical Graffiti (with a single version of PG, this would have been a tough one!)
Stormbringer vs. Presence (very tough one, I don't know, some vary average of each one, some good ones on each, perhaps Achilles Last Stand gets my vote...)
CTTB vs. ITTOD
 



I should have edited mine. I probably should have said all post-MKI up to CTTB. I realized after I posted that I said MKII only. I guess that you needed that last MKI album to make things even. Presence is one of my favorite LZ albums. Stormbringer has some nice stuff. but Presence is superior. S&M and TBRO basically pound on ITTOD, also. Not the best LZ release, for sure.
15/4/2021, 13:38 Link to this post Send Email to JSA1   Send PM to JSA1
 
Randys Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 3665
Reply | Quote
Re: Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple (studio albums)


quote:

JSA1 wrote:

This needs to be all MKII vs Zep. Not necessarily in exact order. You could put IR against either of the first two Zep releases. Fireball against III. MH against IV. CTTB against Presence. Stormbringer against Houses, etc. It would be a much better comparison.



Thats a good point jsa1, but which album will go against this album?

Steve Morse will ask. What about my albums? emoticon

It's like a king at war with other kingdom and he will say we will fight the enemy but we will only use 33% of our soldiers because they are the best, the 67% will just stay home, like the movie 300.
17/4/2021, 14:14 Link to this post Send Email to Randys   Send PM to Randys
 
JSA1 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 1098
Reply | Quote
Re: Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple (studio albums)


quote:

Randys wrote:

quote:

JSA1 wrote:

This needs to be all MKII vs Zep. Not necessarily in exact order. You could put IR against either of the first two Zep releases. Fireball against III. MH against IV. CTTB against Presence. Stormbringer against Houses, etc. It would be a much better comparison.



Thats a good point jsa1, but which album will go against this album?

Steve Morse will ask. What about my albums? emoticon

It's like a king at war with other kingdom and he will say we will fight the enemy but we will only use 33% of our soldiers because they are the best, the 67% will just stay home, like the movie 300.



True, but you can't have a war with someone who no longer exists. If you want to go that route, then you need to include all of Plant's and Page's solo albums, which doesn't work. Zep basically ended with ITTOD. MKII, III and IV basically travel the same arc as Zep. I really think that you have to compare the same era of each band. Going all the way through DP's albums would be like comparing an F22 Raptor with a P51 Mustang. You just can't compare modern era with something that died out over forty years ago.
18/4/2021, 16:48 Link to this post Send Email to JSA1   Send PM to JSA1
 
Apolllo Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 10-2005
Posts: 1019
Reply | Quote
Re: Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple (studio albums)


Quite right, and to me, putting two or three records to one does not really help, because there are more strong points, but also more weak point, and I rate it with the average.

And then again, I love Now What, I love Led Zeppelin I, but I could not really compare the two, some 20 year old guys messin' with old music to create new one, still learning their game, but bold as could be, compared to old guys in the late 60's early 70's, who know all about their trade, but just want to push it further, have nothing to prove and just want to have fun! It make much more sense to compare album from similar era to me, and even more from a similar era and band in a similar stage in their career.
19/4/2021, 21:02 Link to this post Send Email to Apolllo   Send PM to Apolllo
 
Randys Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 3665
Reply | Quote
Re: Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple (studio albums)


quote:

JSA1 wrote:

quote:

Randys wrote:

quote:

JSA1 wrote:

This needs to be all MKII vs Zep. Not necessarily in exact order. You could put IR against either of the first two Zep releases. Fireball against III. MH against IV. CTTB against Presence. Stormbringer against Houses, etc. It would be a much better comparison.



Thats a good point jsa1, but which album will go against this album?

Steve Morse will ask. What about my albums? emoticon

It's like a king at war with other kingdom and he will say we will fight the enemy but we will only use 33% of our soldiers because they are the best, the 67% will just stay home, like the movie 300.



True, but you can't have a war with someone who no longer exists. If you want to go that route, then you need to include all of Plant's and Page's solo albums, which doesn't work. Zep basically ended with ITTOD. MKII, III and IV basically travel the same arc as Zep. I really think that you have to compare the same era of each band. Going all the way through DP's albums would be like comparing an F22 Raptor with a P51 Mustang. You just can't compare modern era with something that died out over forty years ago.



Good point js, I agree, but sometimes past and present is always being compare like athletes in the past and present who is greater, michael jordan or lebron james, etc. In the 1970s, the reality is we know only in this forum that deep purple will beat led zeppelin. Almost all zep albums reached #1 and sold multi millions copies each, while most purple album are trying to reach million.

Good comparison with the F22 Raptor and P51, the way I see it is Led Zep creates P51 Mustang in the 1970s but the problem is Deep Purple is not creating F22 Raptor, Deep Purple is creating a Spitfire or BF-109.




Last edited by Randys, 21/4/2021, 14:26
21/4/2021, 14:24 Link to this post Send Email to Randys   Send PM to Randys
 


Reply

Page:  1  2 





You are not logged in (login)