Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3 

 
Ritchies Strat Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Banned user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 4267
Reply | Quote
Re: Because you must?


quote:

BlackerThanNight wrote:
Let me guess OED aka Brian the Simpleton or his bezzie mate, perhaps!!. Grow Up Dick head!!


 That's mature then is it?
 Go back to the playground until mommy calls you for bedtime. Try not to talk back to her because she still supports your sorry ass and can make you sit in the corner for an hour and then put you to bed without dinner.



---
"Every time she goes Vavoom,
I wiggle in my chair"- excerpt from the book 'Things a Grown Man Should Never Say'.
15/1/2007, 4:20 Link to this post Send Email to Ritchies Strat   Send PM to Ritchies Strat
 
englishrob Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 10-2003
Posts: 443
Reply | Quote
Re: Because you must?


quote:

Ritchies Strat wrote:


 Why was Websters banned? His/her last post which has now been deleted was not offensive or filled with foul language. Was it because he/she was the only one here to challenge the great Doogie White?
 I saw the post that has been deleted and he/she only questioned Doogies vocabulary and inept, incoherent and unsuccessful attempt at light hearted humour.
 Are you afraid that the great Doogie White may not visit here again if there is someone who is more intelligent posting back at him?
 Is it policy to ban anyone who questions a family member of this Blackmore Tribute band? I can remember being banned from the THS board just for questioning the great Paul Mann. He wasn't man enough to answer and backed away like the pussy he is.
 At least Doogie was in discussion with Websters until you banned him/her. Anyway..Doogie...good luck at the karoake bar tonight (gig indeed) and I hope you win with your Blackmore Tribute.



Challenge? Hardly pistols at dawn was it!....and it's questionable whether "Websters", whoever he or she may be, is more intelligent than Doogie.

Who or what is this "Blackmore Tribute" band?

Rob

ps, can someone quickly please check my grammar before I get crucified emoticon

---
www.myspace.com/englishrob
16/1/2007, 11:30 Link to this post Send Email to englishrob   Send PM to englishrob
 
Al Erikson Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2006
Posts: 3393
Reply | Quote
Re: Because you must?


quote:

Ritchies Strat wrote:

quote:

DouglasT wrote:

Last word on this.
The use of the word "generically" was in direct response to a previous message in this little section.
It was my idea of a pun. Then again a pun in the west of Scotland would buy you a large bunch of bananas. And 10 of then would get you 3 pints of cold beer with the fizz still in. Them again what do I know?

Answer that and stay fashionable Meester Smarty pants!

Gotta gig tonight
Ta Ta
DTW



 Why was Websters banned? His/her last post which has now been deleted was not offensive or filled with foul language. Was it because he/she was the only one here to challenge the great Doogie White?
 I saw the post that has been deleted and he/she only questioned Doogies vocabulary and inept, incoherent and unsuccessful attempt at light hearted humour.
 Are you afraid that the great Doogie White may not visit here again if there is someone who is more intelligent posting back at him?
 Is it policy to ban anyone who questions a family member of this Blackmore Tribute band? I can remember being banned from the THS board just for questioning the great Paul Mann. He wasn't man enough to answer and backed away like the pussy he is.
 At least Doogie was in discussion with Websters until you banned him/her. Anyway..Doogie...good luck at the karoake bar tonight (gig indeed) and I hope you win with your Blackmore Tribute.



I'm sure some people on this forum say "no" when they are offered a 100$ bill, just to fit their negativist reputation...

---
"Booze kills.
But how many people are born because of it?"
16/1/2007, 11:36 Link to this post Send Email to Al Erikson   Send PM to Al Erikson
 
Dartagnan Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2539
Reply | Quote
Re: Because you must?


I don't know much about grammar and stuff, being a scouser, but I do agree with something Winston Churchill once said, when ticking off his secretary for her lack of knowledge in that area:

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put".

Great, eh? Like. On a par with the famous Iron Curtain speech and others,isn't it?

Last edited by Dartagnan, 16/1/2007, 16:23


---
"I play the way I do because it allows me to come up with the sickest sounds possible. That's the point now isn't it?"
Jeff Beck
16/1/2007, 16:22 Link to this post Send Email to Dartagnan   Send PM to Dartagnan
 
David Meadows Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

The Fountain Of Useless Knowledge

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 5670
Reply | Quote
Re: Because you must?


quote:

Dartagnan wrote:

I don't know much about grammar and stuff, being a scouser, but I do agree with something Winston Churchill once said, when ticking off his secretary for her lack of knowledge in that area:

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put".

Great, eh? Like. On a par with the famous Iron Curtain speech and others,isn't it?


But unfortunately you have it backwards emoticon

Churchill (quite rightly) had no qualms about ending sentences in prepositions (I don't have citations handy but I can find some if you'd like.)

The anecdote you're referring to involves an editor rearranging one of Churchill's sentences, which Churchill ended with a preposition, so that it didn't end in a prepostion. The result was an abomination, prompting Churchill to tell the poor man: "This is the sort of English up with which I will not put." (as reported by Gowers in Plain Words or (more likely emoticon ): "This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put." (as reported in the Oxford Companion to the English Language).

However, the entire anecdote is suspect and possibly never happened at all. Whether Gowers made it up or repeated another source is unknown. But there is evidence that the statement first appeared in The Strand magazine, attributed to an anonymous writer.



Last edited by David Meadows, 16/1/2007, 17:17


---
"Some seeke so far for outlandish English, that they forget altogether their mothers language. And I dare sweare this, if some of their mothers were aliue, thei were not able to tell what they say."
Thomas Wilson, The Arte of Rhetorique
16/1/2007, 17:14 Link to this post Send Email to David Meadows   Send PM to David Meadows
 
Dartagnan Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2539
Reply | Quote
Re: Because you must?


quote:

David Meadows wrote:

quote:

Dartagnan wrote:

I don't know much about grammar and stuff, being a scouser, but I do agree with something Winston Churchill once said, when ticking off his secretary for her lack of knowledge in that area:

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put".

Great, eh? Like. On a par with the famous Iron Curtain speech and others,isn't it?


But unfortunately you have it backwards emoticon

Churchill (quite rightly) had no qualms about ending sentences in prepositions (I don't have citations handy but I can find some if you'd like.)

The anecdote you're referring to involves an editor rearranging one of Churchill's sentences, which Churchill ended with a preposition, so that it didn't end in a prepostion. The result was an abomination, prompting Churchill to tell the poor man: "This is the sort of English up with which I will not put." (as reported by Gowers in Plain Words or (more likely emoticon ): "This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put." (as reported in the Oxford Companion to the English Language).

However, the entire anecdote is suspect and possibly never happened at all. Whether Gowers made it up or repeated another source is unknown. But there is evidence that the statement first appeared in The Strand magazine, attributed to an anonymous writer.




Blimey, David! That's very thorough research. Whatever you say, I still think Steve Morse overplays. Churchill would've sided with me on that one, me thinks.

But tomorrow, I'll be sober. I know......



 drinking

---
"I play the way I do because it allows me to come up with the sickest sounds possible. That's the point now isn't it?"
Jeff Beck
16/1/2007, 17:21 Link to this post Send Email to Dartagnan   Send PM to Dartagnan
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3 





You are not logged in (login)