Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3 

 
Kinski Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 443
Reply | Quote
Re: WDWTWA, HOBL, and TBRO


quote:

dp344 wrote:
Production wise WDWTWA is years ahead of MH.



So true! I've always felt that WDWTWA has the best production of any Deep Purple album.

16/5/2021, 0:26 Link to this post Send Email to Kinski   Send PM to Kinski
 
Concrete god Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 2452
Reply | Quote
Re: WDWTWA, HOBL, and TBRO


Good albums all three

---
ConcreteGod
16/5/2021, 8:03 Link to this post Send Email to Concrete god   Send PM to Concrete god Blog
 
leelyt Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 04-2017
Posts: 755
Reply | Quote
Re:


HOBL is one of my favourite DP albums.
16/5/2021, 11:26 Link to this post Send Email to leelyt   Send PM to leelyt Blog
 
Concrete god Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 2452
Reply | Quote
Re: Re:


quote:

leelyt wrote:

HOBL is one of my favourite DP albums.



I do like HOBL too, don't understand some of the criticism.


---
ConcreteGod
16/5/2021, 18:25 Link to this post Send Email to Concrete god   Send PM to Concrete god Blog
 
JSA1 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 1098
Reply | Quote
Re: Re:


quote:

Concrete god wrote:

quote:

leelyt wrote:

HOBL is one of my favourite DP albums.



I do like HOBL too, don't understand some of the criticism.



Same here. The tunes are solid and the band is pretty tight. The production and delays in release probably brought the album down. Should have been released in 1986 while the iron was hot.
18/5/2021, 17:36 Link to this post Send Email to JSA1   Send PM to JSA1
 
paice30 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 07-2005
Posts: 709
Reply | Quote
Re: WDWTWA, HOBL, and TBRO


Luv the production on WDWTWA, right up there with Burn & CTTB, production wise. Usually skip the last 2 songs, though.

HOBL is very comparable to PS, imo. There are spells where it supplants PS on my pecking order.

TBRO is stellar at points, but again, the last 3rd of the album drags for me a bit.

Mitzi Dupree and One Man's Meat are utter garbage, sad to say. They make other throwaways like Razzle Dazzle and Back To Back look like masterpieces.
18/5/2021, 22:57 Link to this post Send Email to paice30   Send PM to paice30
 
JSA1 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 1098
Reply | Quote
Re: WDWTWA, HOBL, and TBRO


quote:

paice30 wrote:

Luv the production on WDWTWA, right up there with Burn & CTTB, production wise. Usually skip the last 2 songs, though.

HOBL is very comparable to PS, imo. There are spells where it supplants PS on my pecking order.

TBRO is stellar at points, but again, the last 3rd of the album drags for me a bit.

Mitzi Dupree and One Man's Meat are utter garbage, sad to say. They make other throwaways like Razzle Dazzle and Back To Back look like masterpieces.



I think that One Man's Meat is OK. Goofy lyrics aside, Gillan actually sounds pretty good on it. Vocally, TBRO is probably Gillan's best post MKIIa, pre-MkMorse work. Good stuff. As for HOBL, he sounds rough on Mitzi Dupree, but HOBL is better than PS. The band sounds more like DP than Gillan/Rainbow. The Blackmore/Lord interplay is quite prominent here, where it was mostly lacking on PS. The band is playing well and I think that they got some of their DP mojo back.
19/5/2021, 14:37 Link to this post Send Email to JSA1   Send PM to JSA1
 
leelyt Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 04-2017
Posts: 755
Reply | Quote
Re: Re:


quote:

Concrete god wrote:

quote:

leelyt wrote:

HOBL is one of my favourite DP albums.



I do like HOBL too, don't understand some of the criticism.



I love PS, but play HOBL more.
19/5/2021, 18:10 Link to this post Send Email to leelyt   Send PM to leelyt Blog
 
lightintheblack0 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 6284
Reply | Quote
Re: WDWTWA, HOBL, and TBRO


quote:

JSA1 wrote:

quote:

paice30 wrote:

Luv the production on WDWTWA, right up there with Burn & CTTB, production wise. Usually skip the last 2 songs, though.

HOBL is very comparable to PS, imo. There are spells where it supplants PS on my pecking order.

TBRO is stellar at points, but again, the last 3rd of the album drags for me a bit.

Mitzi Dupree and One Man's Meat are utter garbage, sad to say. They make other throwaways like Razzle Dazzle and Back To Back look like masterpieces.



I think that One Man's Meat is OK. Goofy lyrics aside, Gillan actually sounds pretty good on it. Vocally, TBRO is probably Gillan's best post MKIIa, pre-MkMorse work. Good stuff. As for HOBL, he sounds rough on Mitzi Dupree, but HOBL is better than PS. The band sounds more like DP than Gillan/Rainbow. The Blackmore/Lord interplay is quite prominent here, where it was mostly lacking on PS. The band is playing well and I think that they got some of their DP mojo back.




Totally agree JSA1 emoticon
20/5/2021, 10:27 Link to this post Send Email to lightintheblack0   Send PM to lightintheblack0 Blog
 
leelyt Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 04-2017
Posts: 755
Reply | Quote
Re: WDWTWA, HOBL, and TBRO


quote:

JSA1 wrote:

quote:

paice30 wrote:

Luv the production on WDWTWA, right up there with Burn & CTTB, production wise. Usually skip the last 2 songs, though.

HOBL is very comparable to PS, imo. There are spells where it supplants PS on my pecking order.

TBRO is stellar at points, but again, the last 3rd of the album drags for me a bit.

Mitzi Dupree and One Man's Meat are utter garbage, sad to say. They make other throwaways like Razzle Dazzle and Back To Back look like masterpieces.



I think that One Man's Meat is OK. Goofy lyrics aside, Gillan actually sounds pretty good on it. Vocally, TBRO is probably Gillan's best post MKIIa, pre-MkMorse work. Good stuff. As for HOBL, he sounds rough on Mitzi Dupree, but HOBL is better than PS. The band sounds more like DP than Gillan/Rainbow. The Blackmore/Lord interplay is quite prominent here, where it was mostly lacking on PS. The band is playing well and I think that they got some of their DP mojo back.



Yes, totally agree.
21/5/2021, 20:54 Link to this post Send Email to leelyt   Send PM to leelyt Blog
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3 





You are not logged in (login)