Runboard.com
Слава Україні!
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3 ... 14  15  16  17  18 ... 22  23  24 

 
Desperateheart Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2013
Posts: 2280
Reply | Quote
Re: The Purple Album.....


quote:

jmorton wrote:

I always thought that Lord's death impacted DC profoundly. I guess we can see that right here. I think David regarded Lord as an older brother/father figure in the music business and it would make sense that his death would affect him like this.

I don't know if David means he is "going out" like he is going to retire soon. However it does appear that he sees the end approaching.



hmm....he didn't turn up for the RAH gig though? Colin Hart mentions in his book DC was quite rude to him and JL on one occasion, keeping them waiting for 'an audience' for several hours.

3/3/2015, 10:37 Link to this post Send Email to Desperateheart   Send PM to Desperateheart Blog
 
Wojak Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 01-2004
Posts: 1567
Reply | Quote
Re: The Purple Album.....


quote:

Desperateheart wrote:

quote:

jmorton wrote:

I always thought that Lord's death impacted DC profoundly. I guess we can see that right here. I think David regarded Lord as an older brother/father figure in the music business and it would make sense that his death would affect him like this.

I don't know if David means he is "going out" like he is going to retire soon. However it does appear that he sees the end approaching.



hmm....he didn't turn up for the RAH gig though? Colin Hart mentions in his book DC was quite rude to him and JL on one occasion, keeping them waiting for 'an audience' for several hours.




RAH GIG = politics. DC and Ritchie thinking of going out as DP MKIII again. Current DP not impressed.

Don't know about the Colin Hart story. DC was arrogant, that's for sure but he was upset over the loss of Jon.

3/3/2015, 11:09 Link to this post Send Email to Wojak   Send PM to Wojak
 
ptr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 3276
Reply | Quote
Re: The Purple Album.....


I think he didnt appear in RAH because he knew that going on stage with Glenn Hughes and singing Mk3 stuff with him would be absolute suicide of him as singer! He sounds bad alone, he would sound absolutely unbearable compared with GH....

Hypothetical Mk3 reunion - RB left because he couldnt stand Gillan´s performances in 93 (when he was at his lowest point but still much better than DC´s current shape) - how can anyone think that RB would witstand even ONE performance with DC in this shape? Maybe he heard DC´s voice on the phone, saw couple of recent performances and because of that their cooperation never happened....
3/3/2015, 12:22 Link to this post Send Email to ptr   Send PM to ptr
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info



Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: The Purple Album.....


That's an interesting angle, though I can't say DC is somehow in worse condition than Gillan. On the YT clips I've seen Gillan sounds extremely strained, even pitch wavering, a bit like walking a tightrope, even compared to 1993. That's ok, it's natural for his age. The same with Coverdale.

Gillan's voice might be in better shape overall, as demostrated by the great OETM, where he sounds relaxed and at ease, compared to the DP stuff which typically sounds a bit forced in general.

Returning to DC, I thought RB suggested only a short Mk3 tour some 8 years back because he feared there might be social issues after a while. I can't imagine him wanting to hear GH's soul mate stories, and he has hinted several times in the past that he thinks DC can act a little too posh for someone with a working-class background. I've never seen RB make a critical remark on DC's singing.

Last edited by Rezi, 3/3/2015, 12:59
3/3/2015, 12:56 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
Desperateheart Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2013
Posts: 2280
Reply | Quote
Re: The Purple Album.....


quote:

ptr wrote:

I think he didnt appear in RAH because he knew that going on stage with Glenn Hughes and singing Mk3 stuff with him would be absolute suicide of him as singer! He sounds bad alone, he would sound absolutely unbearable compared with GH....

Hypothetical Mk3 reunion - RB left because he couldnt stand Gillan´s performances in 93 (when he was at his lowest point but still much better than DC´s current shape) - how can anyone think that RB would witstand even ONE performance with DC in this shape? Maybe he heard DC´s voice on the phone, saw couple of recent performances and because of that their cooperation never happened....



a very good point. RB very critical of vocalists performances. mentioned JLTs voice cracking circa 91/92 if memory serves.

I could see RB wanting to do something different but as you say when it came down to it there'd be too many issues when he actually considered the practicalities.

in an 1985 interview with Mick Wall RB stated 'he saw Whitesnake as very good band with a very good singer'. even if he didn't like him personally, if i'm recalling correctly.

sorry what is OETM?

Last edited by Desperateheart, 3/3/2015, 16:11
3/3/2015, 16:03 Link to this post Send Email to Desperateheart   Send PM to Desperateheart Blog
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info



Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: The Purple Album.....


One Eye to Morocco. Gillan finest solo album since Mr. Universe.
3/3/2015, 17:04 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
The Fault Line Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 05-2014
Posts: 27
Reply | Quote
Re: The Purple Album.....


I've come to the party very late!
I too picked up on maybe being DC last album.

It may not be to everyone's taste but it's more a homage and it's been done in a very respectful way.

Are we sure that no 'guests' are on the album?
3/3/2015, 20:17 Link to this post Send Email to The Fault Line   Send PM to The Fault Line Blog
 
lightintheblack0 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 6300
Reply | Quote
Re: The Purple Album.....


quote:

Rezi wrote:

One Eye to Morocco. Gillan finest solo album since Mr. Universe.


 I really like OETM too rezi and would much rather ian was doing this stuff than still attempting mk2 purple material but I don't rate it anywhere close to the Gillan albums which aren't solo albums anyway to my mind? I also think toolbox and naked thunder were better than OETM
3/3/2015, 20:47 Link to this post Send Email to lightintheblack0   Send PM to lightintheblack0 Blog
 
Wojak Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 01-2004
Posts: 1567
Reply | Quote
Re: The Purple Album.....


quote:

The Fault Line wrote:

I've come to the party very late!
I too picked up on maybe being DC last album.

It may not be to everyone's taste but it's more a homage and it's been done in a very respectful way.

Are we sure that no 'guests' are on the album?



Not sure of anything at this stage. Could easily be more announcements.

3/3/2015, 22:09 Link to this post Send Email to Wojak   Send PM to Wojak
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info



Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: The Purple Album.....


quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

Rezi wrote:

One Eye to Morocco. Gillan finest solo album since Mr. Universe.


 I really like OETM too rezi and would much rather ian was doing this stuff than still attempting mk2 purple material but I don't rate it anywhere close to the Gillan albums which aren't solo albums anyway to my mind? I also think toolbox and naked thunder were better than OETM



As well as Gillan performed on those albums you mentioned, I found them lacking both great songs and cohesion that I find on OETM. The Sky is Falling Down for example was like Fighting Man, a sublime contemplation turned into a brilliant song without any superficial attempt to find a forced wittiness. It's just a great song. Sang with such humble pride. Actually, Rapture of the Deep is quite similar. Sublime.
3/3/2015, 22:27 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3 ... 14  15  16  17  18 ... 22  23  24 





You are not logged in (login)