Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3  4 

 
Apostate Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 05-2005
Posts: 1843
Reply | Quote
Re: Still Dreaming of Yngwie With Deep Purple


I understand RS's point in regard to the loose/"flowing" atmosphere of DP live "in the day". Black Sabbath had a similar feel in the [sign in to see URL] just seems to me that the jam ethic back then had happily progressed from the often noise-fest ridden weirdness of Cream and Hendrix's most puerile moments into the best stuff off of Made in Japan, and Sabbath's Live at Last. Iommi's going into that Jaazy-blues thing he did in the middle of his live solo to "Wicked World" is never seen [sign in to see URL] just don't seem to feel they have the freedom to explore anymore.
Of course, Blackmore and Iommi were given to unfortunate lapses into juvenile self-indulgence. But part of the excitement back then, for me, was guessing whether they'd land back on their feet after their musical excursions/experiments.
Eddie VH tended to do the same thing in the late seventies, and I feel it's a damn shame that there exist so few decent recordings of his own on stage guitar explorations.
Even a sloppy player like Page could often captivate when he was actually moved by the "spirit"...
Just my perspective...

---
"Evil mind, lookin' down, without seeing at all."
22/6/2005, 18:20 Link to this post Send Email to Apostate   Send PM to Apostate
 
Randys Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2933
Reply | Quote
Re: Still Dreaming of Yngwie With Deep Purple


This is a very possible dream. emoticon
23/6/2005, 5:55 Link to this post Send Email to Randys   Send PM to Randys
 
Randys Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2933
Reply | Quote
Re: Still Dreaming of Yngwie With Deep Purple


I have a "dream" that people will be judge only by their characters..............



and................


YNGWIE MALMSTEEN
IAN GILLAN
ROGER GLOVER
DON AIREY
IAN PAICE

emoticon emoticon
23/6/2005, 6:14 Link to this post Send Email to Randys   Send PM to Randys
 
Apostate Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 05-2005
Posts: 1843
Reply | Quote
Re: Still Dreaming of Yngwie With Deep Purple


quote:

Randys wrote:

I have a "dream" that people will be judge only by their characters..............



and................


YNGWIE MALMSTEEN
IAN GILLAN
ROGER GLOVER
DON AIREY
IAN PAICE

emoticon emoticon



I feel like atotal poseur! Did Airey play w/Rainbow after Carey left ("Down To Earth"?). And wouldn't Carey or Lord or perhaps Yngwie's usual keyboardist be better for Purple-purposes?
I think your line-up is otherwise excellent, but I'd pick Lord for keyboards, ultimately.



---
"Evil mind, lookin' down, without seeing at all."
23/6/2005, 11:56 Link to this post Send Email to Apostate   Send PM to Apostate
 
Apostate Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 05-2005
Posts: 1843
Reply | Quote
Re: Still Dreaming of Yngwie With Deep Purple


This is directly from a interview Yngwie did with BURRN! Magazine several years ago: (this DEFINITELY doesn't entirely reflect my own views!):

"You know, I don't like saying this, but they could do a lot better than what they have now. Steve Morse is a very good guitar player, but he's American and he's using humbucker pickups. If you ask me, those two are not good. I don't want to say it like this, but if they (Deep Purple) could have got me in that band they would have a performance that would blow people's head off. Even now I can play from the beginning of "Made in Japan" to the end. I can do it right now without missing a note.

Even now, I like the Deep Purple era from 1971/72. I don't like after that very much. I think I could do a good job as the guitarist of Deep Purple, but I'm against the idea personally. For me, Deep Purple is Richie Blackmore, and to my disappointment, Richie doesn't want to do it anymore. He wants to play acoustic now and be with his wife, so good luck to him. Let him do what he wants."


---
"Evil mind, lookin' down, without seeing at all."
23/6/2005, 12:21 Link to this post Send Email to Apostate   Send PM to Apostate
 
Magica Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 12-2003
Posts: 351
Reply | Quote
Re: Still Dreaming of Yngwie With Deep Purple


quote:

Milan Fahrnholz wrote:

quote:

Rahul wrote:
There's a time and a place for Malmsteen's music



That´s either never wherever or always very very far from me!




You took the words right out of my mouth. Or at least took my keystrokes.
 emoticon

Malmsteen has been blessed with true talent. Unfortunately, he hasn't a clue as to what to with it.

---
'Led Zeppelin taught us that heavy wasn't about playing loud, heavy was an attitude.' Roger Glover
23/6/2005, 14:17 Link to this post Send Email to Magica   Send PM to Magica
 
Celtic Legacy Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 1972
Reply | Quote
Re: Still Dreaming of Yngwie With Deep Purple


quote:

Rezi wrote:

Okay, I ahve to admit it would be interesting to see Yngwie in Deep Purple,

Then I would suggest you have a listen to him playing on Speed King on the Smoke On The Water tribute album.

He has absolutely no idea how to duel with the guy playing keyboards who is actually trying to do a reasonable Jon Lord homage, and then Malmsteen comes in with the usual 5 million miles an hour crap. It's horrible to listen to. Now imagine that across every DP song and you should get a crystal clear idea of what Malmsteen in Deep Purple would be like. emoticon

---
If you can't laugh at yourself...
...somebody else will
27/6/2005, 12:25 Link to this post Send Email to Celtic Legacy   Send PM to Celtic Legacy
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info


Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Still Dreaming of Yngwie With Deep Purple


quote:

Celtic Legacy wrote:

quote:

Rezi wrote:

Okay, I ahve to admit it would be interesting to see Yngwie in Deep Purple,

Then I would suggest you have a listen to him playing on Speed King on the Smoke On The Water tribute album.

He has absolutely no idea how to duel with the guy playing keyboards who is actually trying to do a reasonable Jon Lord homage, and then Malmsteen comes in with the usual 5 million miles an hour crap. It's horrible to listen to. Now imagine that across every DP song and you should get a crystal clear idea of what Malmsteen in Deep Purple would be like. emoticon



Hmmm, I haven't heard any DP tribute albums so I'll check with the town library if they have that album.

Have you heard GOB and POH off YM's live album? The way he does POH is strange. It's all very pentatonic (and thus, nice!), inc. the solo, but the run he plays at the end of the main riff is totally against the feel of the tunes.

28/6/2005, 7:04 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
Durple Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 1258
Reply | Quote
Re: Still Dreaming of Yngwie With Deep Purple


quote:

Apostate wrote:

"Even now I can play from the beginning of "Made in Japan" to the end. I can do it right now without missing a note."





That's the problem with Yngwie: He just doesn't get, what it is all about! Ritchie could never play "Made in Japan" again, because he always did a lot of improvisation. Yngwie can learn all those notes by heart and he can play them all correctly, I'm sure. But who needs that, as we already got the live CD??? When I saw Yngwie a few years ago with Dougie White, Dougie started some vocal-guitar duel as he used to do with Ritchie in Rainbow. Yngwie could not play any note correctly and I was very much surprised by that. Yngwie then started playing very fast again to hide his limitations, so Dougie gave up his trial... So, not only characterwise he would never be a good choice for Deep Purple, never ever!
28/6/2005, 8:50 Link to this post Send Email to Durple   Send PM to Durple
 
Apostate Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 05-2005
Posts: 1843
Reply | Quote
Re: Still Dreaming of Yngwie With Deep Purple


quote:

Durple wrote:

quote:

Apostate wrote:

"Even now I can play from the beginning of "Made in Japan" to the end. I can do it right now without missing a note."





That's the problem with Yngwie: He just doesn't get, what it is all about! Ritchie could never play "Made in Japan" again, because he always did a lot of improvisation. Yngwie can learn all those notes by heart and he can play them all correctly, I'm sure. But who needs that, as we already got the live CD??? When I saw Yngwie a few years ago with Dougie White, Dougie started some vocal-guitar duel as he used to do with Ritchie in Rainbow. Yngwie could not play any note correctly and I was very much surprised by that. Yngwie then started playing very fast again to hide his limitations, so Dougie gave up his trial... So, not only characterwise he would never be a good choice for Deep Purple, never ever!



[sign in to see URL] is news to me. I can't help but feel disappointed when reading about Doogie's frustration. I guess I stand a bit corrected, as I'm reading alot of sensibly critical things on this forum in regard to Yngwie with Purple.
That said, I really love Yngwie, even if it stands he WOULDN'T be the best idea for a Purple match.



---
"Evil mind, lookin' down, without seeing at all."
28/6/2005, 10:29 Link to this post Send Email to Apostate   Send PM to Apostate
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3  4 





You are not logged in (login)