Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

 
JSA1 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 835
Reply | Quote
Re: Who owns the name and who has the power in Deep Purple?


quote:

Friedhelm wrote:

I think, that Roger Glover had a main role in the writing process. He mimself said, that he composed a lot of "In Rock". And it must have had a reason, why Blackmore recruited him for Rainbow to be more succesful.



I've always thought that Roger and Blackers were the top dogs in DP. Still, I consider the whole process like an assembly line. Roger and Blackers would come up with some ideas and develop them and then the others would get together with them and they would come up with a decent DP tune. I can't see Blackers writing JL's parts and I think Glover and Gillan got the lyrics together. I'm sure that Paice had more to say than what we think. He was going to be the driving force, along with Glover, to get the tempo right and make sure that it was good fit for DP. I do think that they all deserve the credit for the MKIIa tunes. MKIIb and c, not so much.

Either way, I'm enjoying this conversation while relaxing with a dram of Laphroaig 10. It's a wonderful way to finish the day after a long evening at work. emoticon

Last edited by JSA1, 9/8/2018, 20:29
9/8/2018, 15:11 Link to this post Send Email to JSA1   Send PM to JSA1
 
Concrete god Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 2116
Reply | Quote
Re: Who owns the name and who has the power in Deep Purple?


quote:

purpletemple wrote:

quote:

leelyt wrote:

quote:

mtb7 wrote:

Let me clarify one thing, particularly after reading Concrete God's comment: one thing is to perform on a record, another to write the songs. There are two distinct levels of royalties in the music industry, one regarding who actually played on each song, and another related to who wrote the song. Let me make an obvious case: when DP covered the Beatles, JL did add his special touches and Ian Paice did show his unique style, still the song remained credited on DP's album only to Lennon/McCartney. Likewise, just think of the session guys who play on tons of records; if they received writing credits for interpreting a song in their unique way, the very same uinque way that got them the job, they would be the richest people on Earth - yet, they do not, of course.

Having said that, what is confusing to many is that DP shared writing credits equally from 68 to 76, and some assume that therefore all contributed equally. It is not like that, to the point that one of the conditions that Ritchie set when re-uniting in 84, was that members should only get writing credits for the songs they actually helped to write - and on Perfect Strangers, by pure coincidence, the tracks where Lord and Paice appear are a grand total of 2. Why did they initially split 5-way? Because it would have meant that the writers in the band would have been paid twice the money of the non-writers, and it would have created a lot of arguments between band members who were, at the time, roughly on equal terms in terms of popularity. At the time of the reunion, this had all changed and neither JL nor IP had the power to keep that anymore.
Now, if we accept that 3 people wrote the bulk of it, then, given their roles, it is safe to assume that Ritchie's role was dominant in the music, Ian's in the lyrics and vocal melodies and Roger helped both out and refined ideas.

This is how I see it.

quote:

leelyt wrote:

quote:

Concrete god wrote:

quote:

leelyt wrote:

quote:

VleeMouse wrote:


The songs were credited to, not written by.



This is important to remember. The fact that all MK II songs from IR to WDWTWA were credited to B,G,G,L,P it does not mean that they were written by them.



So you mean Blackmore wrote the lyrics..? And that Glover didn't come up with riffs and ideas to Speed King and Smoke just to mention a few?
That Lord didn't have this special touch in the music that made it .. deep purple?
That Paice don't have his own unique sound to make him The Purple drummer?
That really it was a one man show..?



But who on earth said any of the above? The vast majority of the songs in MK II were written by Blackmore, Gillan and Glover, a fact recognised in many interviews by JL.
Where have I ever said that DP was a one man show?






Clearly so. JL cannot be given writing credit for sounding like JL. And the same with IP, he can only sound like IP on the drums because that is who he is.
To claim that they were in any part responsible for writing a song because they played on it is not correct.
It was my understanding also that the lyrics were shared between IG and RG.



I disagree. The five of them were together in a room working/ building/ writing the songs. The main idea might have come from one or the other, but they were all involved in the writing process.

It's not like one member went into his own studio and composed the song from a to z and then present it to the group (like Pete Townshend would do).

It was often taken from jams involving most/all [sign in to see URL] it think it's right that all 5 were credited as writers.




What I meant. Thanks PT.
9/8/2018, 18:16 Link to this post Send Email to Concrete god   Send PM to Concrete god Blog
 
Concrete god Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 2116
Reply | Quote
Re: Who owns the name and who has the power in Deep Purple?


quote:

leelyt wrote:

Just writing songs from jams has lead to the music that DP create now, where every song just sounds like part of a jam.



You mean Son of Alerik or Cosmic Jazz? emoticon
9/8/2018, 18:37 Link to this post Send Email to Concrete god   Send PM to Concrete god Blog
 
mtb7 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 749
Reply | Quote
Re:


Son of Alerik is a wonderful tune, with a guitar sound and playing I can only admire.
But then again, neither one of them was meant for publication, actually SOA apparently was played just because a film crew was doing either a documentary or recording the video to PS, and needed to film them as they played [sign in to see URL] means that there COULD be a video version of that song.
9/8/2018, 19:30 Link to this post Send Email to mtb7   Send PM to mtb7 Blog
 
recklessabandoner Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2005
Posts: 533
Reply | Quote
Re: Who owns the name and who has the power in Deep Purple?


Some own the name name Deep Purple and I'm guessing it's IG, IP, RG and JL estate (maybe Thames Talent too). And they have the right to use the name. Those rights can however be bought. Worst example is southern rock band Molly Hatchet who continues to record and tour without any of the original members of the first five studio albums. Current leader of the band bought the name from old management.
9/8/2018, 20:52 Link to this post Send Email to recklessabandoner   Send PM to recklessabandoner
 
leelyt Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2017
Posts: 573
Reply | Quote
Re: Who owns the name and who has the power in Deep Purple?


quote:

Concrete god wrote:

quote:

leelyt wrote:

Just writing songs from jams has lead to the music that DP create now, where every song just sounds like part of a jam.



You mean Son of Alerik or Cosmic Jazz? emoticon



Yes, they are just jams, they are not songs.
10/8/2018, 7:27 Link to this post Send Email to leelyt   Send PM to leelyt Blog
 
Concrete god Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 2116
Reply | Quote
Re: Who owns the name and who has the power in Deep Purple?


quote:

leelyt wrote:

quote:

Concrete god wrote:

quote:

leelyt wrote:

Just writing songs from jams has lead to the music that DP create now, where every song just sounds like part of a jam.



You mean Son of Alerik or Cosmic Jazz? emoticon



Yes, they are just jams, they are not songs.



But shows dp have always made some of their songs out of jams, so nothing new there exactly.
10/8/2018, 9:07 Link to this post Send Email to Concrete god   Send PM to Concrete god Blog
 
leelyt Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2017
Posts: 573
Reply | Quote
Re: Who owns the name and who has the power in Deep Purple?


quote:

Concrete god wrote:

quote:

leelyt wrote:

quote:

Concrete god wrote:

quote:

leelyt wrote:

Just writing songs from jams has lead to the music that DP create now, where every song just sounds like part of a jam.



You mean Son of Alerik or Cosmic Jazz? emoticon



Yes, they are just jams, they are not songs.



But shows dp have always made some of their songs out of jams, so nothing new there exactly.



At the time of PS everyone brought in their own ideas. JL said in interviews he didn't push his ideas because they were not as strong as RB. So they all brought ideas to the table and tried to work around them, now they don't bring anything in, start from scratch every time. The only way to "jam" is at the same pace every time which is why all of the songs these days are at the same plodding pace.
Genesis are another band who went that way and they suffered with everything sounding the same.
10/8/2018, 9:23 Link to this post Send Email to leelyt   Send PM to leelyt Blog
 
niji Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 1119
Reply | Quote
Re: Who owns the name and who has the power in Deep Purple?


quote:

leelyt wrote:
At the time of PS everyone brought in their own ideas. JL said in interviews he didn't push his ideas because they were not as strong as RB. So they all brought ideas to the table and tried to work around them, now they don't bring anything in, start from scratch every time. The only way to "jam" is at the same pace every time which is why all of the songs these days are at the same plodding pace.
Genesis are another band who went that way and they suffered with everything sounding the same.



Everyone might have brought something to the PS sessions, but we don't know how much of it they used. What we do know is that they did hours of jamming every day and some of those jams eventually turned into songs that ended up on the album. Alerik is just one of those jams that got released later, but there are hours and hours of this stuff.
Jamming has always been an important part of the songwriting process for Purple (and Rainbow)
 
15/8/2018, 13:28 Link to this post Send Email to niji   Send PM to niji
 
Desperateheart Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2013
Posts: 2162
Reply | Quote
Re: Who owns the name and who has the power in Deep Purple?


quote:

niji wrote:

quote:

leelyt wrote:
At the time of PS everyone brought in their own ideas. JL said in interviews he didn't push his ideas because they were not as strong as RB. So they all brought ideas to the table and tried to work around them, now they don't bring anything in, start from scratch every time. The only way to "jam" is at the same pace every time which is why all of the songs these days are at the same plodding pace.
Genesis are another band who went that way and they suffered with everything sounding the same.



Everyone might have brought something to the PS sessions, but we don't know how much of it they used. What we do know is that they did hours of jamming every day and some of those jams eventually turned into songs that ended up on the album. Alerik is just one of those jams that got released later, but there are hours and hours of this stuff.
Jamming has always been an important part of the songwriting process for Purple (and Rainbow)
 



I've heard quite a few of the PS jams now.... It seems to be mostly RB riffing away for ages.... As per the basement footage on the Sydney dvd
15/8/2018, 14:55 Link to this post Send Email to Desperateheart   Send PM to Desperateheart Blog
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 





You are not logged in (login)