Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

 
Witchy Nightmare Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2005
Posts: 2938
Reply | Quote
Re: My review of Memories in Rock II


quote:

ptr wrote:

I´m talking about songs they both do together at the present times. Gillan does them MUCH better. Actually, I was pretty disappointed by Romero in IG songs.


About how many songs are we talking here? According to [sign in to see URL] Rainbow did four Mk II songs at the Prague show you saw: Perfect Strangers, Black Night, Child In Time and Smoke OTW.
 
Perfect Strangers doesn't count for me because DP did the sacrilege of detuning it. On the other hand, Romero's rendition of that one certainly isn't the best.

Black Night - ok, noone can sing that tune like Gillan.

Child In Time is no longer performed by DP afaik. And you say yourself that someone else does it better.

Smoke OTW - is that the song which decides? In most cases the audience will sing it themselves instead of listening to the singer.

So Gillan may have the edge in two songs (as long as he isn't out of breath again) they did a zillion times.




Last edited by Witchy Nightmare, 18/7/2018, 18:48
18/7/2018, 18:47 Link to this post Send Email to Witchy Nightmare   Send PM to Witchy Nightmare
 
lightintheblack0 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 5902
Reply | Quote
Re: My review of Memories in Rock II


quote:

ptr wrote:

quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

ptr wrote:


I´m talking about songs they both do together at the present times. Gillan does them MUCH better.




Only to your ears mate,Ian Gillans a pale pale shadow of former glories and has been for a lot of years! only the blind faithful like yourself won't admit to that.



I heard them both live this year… emoticon



good for you but your still in denial, behave yourself man emoticon
18/7/2018, 21:48 Link to this post Send Email to lightintheblack0   Send PM to lightintheblack0 Blog
 
fdr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 08-2011
Posts: 1415
Reply | Quote
Re: My review of Memories in Rock II


Are we really comparing Gillan performances with Romero's? Come on, let's separate the men from the boys, the kid is a lovely chap but that's about it. I prefer an "out of breath" Gillan, than a cover band power metal young man trying his best. I've been listening to Ian all my life, my voice as well is almost shot singing along with him. I don't need a young stranger impersonating him. Call me mad.
18/7/2018, 22:38 Link to this post Send Email to fdr   Send PM to fdr Blog
 
mtb7 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 747
Reply | Quote
Re: My review of Memories in Rock II


Agree Ian is a legend, and he certainly influenced me massively as well.
But I have one question: would this be the case, would you be so enthusiastic if Ian had been all along what he has been for the last - say - 30 years? And mind you, 30 years is not exactly a heartbeat.
In that case I would tend to agree with your last comment.
19/7/2018, 6:55 Link to this post Send Email to mtb7   Send PM to mtb7 Blog
 
leelyt Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2017
Posts: 569
Reply | Quote
Re: My review of Memories in Rock II


IG was everything that I consider a rock singer to be. He had an incredible voice, he was handsome and effortlessly cool. All of this is based upon IG in the 70's.
Once IG has sung a song I don't want to hear anyone else sing it, although these days of course, I don't even want to hear IG sing either. I accept that I will be abused for being unrealistic and don't listen if you don't like it etc. etc. etc. by all of the usual suspects, but IG simply cannot do justice to the songs he tries to sing.
RR cannot do justice to them either, he sings nicely, in tune and with great professionalism, but there is nothing in his voice to make me believe he can sing IG songs how they should be sung. He does a nice enough job on Dio, MK III etc, they should have stuck to those, it was a poor decision to play MK II songs.
Only IG can sing IG songs, and even he cannot do it now.
19/7/2018, 9:01 Link to this post Send Email to leelyt   Send PM to leelyt Blog
 
lightintheblack0 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 5902
Reply | Quote
Re: My review of Memories in Rock II


quote:

leelyt wrote:

IG was everything that I consider a rock singer to be. He had an incredible voice, he was handsome and effortlessly cool. All of this is based upon IG in the 70's.
Once IG has sung a song I don't want to hear anyone else sing it, although these days of course, I don't even want to hear IG sing either. I accept that I will be abused for being unrealistic and don't listen if you don't like it etc. etc. etc. by all of the usual suspects, but IG simply cannot do justice to the songs he tries to sing.
RR cannot do justice to them either, he sings nicely, in tune and with great professionalism, but there is nothing in his voice to make me believe he can sing IG songs how they should be sung. He does a nice enough job on Dio, MK III etc, they should have stuck to those, it was a poor decision to play MK II songs.
Only IG can sing IG songs, and even he cannot do it now.




I agree 100% emoticon Thats what i was trying to say but obviously failed miserably emoticon
19/7/2018, 10:42 Link to this post Send Email to lightintheblack0   Send PM to lightintheblack0 Blog
 
ptr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 3042
Reply | Quote
Re: My review of Memories in Rock II


Due to fact that I became DP fan in much later period, I actually can answer you question - I DID became his fan during and partly because of his "voice from the last 30 years" emoticon Of course I do consider Child In Time or Fighting Man or some other stuff as one of the best ever done, the issue is that I really think that IG´s later voice still has unique beauty (let´s use Hoochie Coochie Man, Surprising and All The TIme In The World as examples) that is simply impossible to "compete with". IG isnt one of my favourite singer because of hitting incredible high notes, IG is my favourite singer because his voice and way of singing "connects" with my heart and soul. And it still does. Romero? Leaves me absolutely cold with his singing.
19/7/2018, 15:28 Link to this post Send Email to ptr   Send PM to ptr
 
mtb7 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 747
Reply | Quote
Re: My review of Memories in Rock II


Ptr - it's not that I disagree with you on IG's voice being still very nice - but with three caveats:

- on songs with a limited range and speed
- at times, it's very hit-n-miss
- only in the studio.

This is because he has not looked after his voice, and done everything wrong that he could do.
I am angry at him because I value his so much, and cannot stand he threw his talent down the drain with totally unprofessional behaviour. Now, the fact that occasionally he still gets it right in the studio because he has a beautiful timbre is not something that takes anything away from my criticism.

You sound like a Dutchman who has always lived on a plain land going to see a hill and mistaking it for a huge mountain; IG now (and for the last 30 years) is a hill - not plain, and can be nice to look at. But you cannot mistake it with the majesty of a high mountain.

Mind you, I am not talking specifically about the high range he lost: I also have an issue with the raspiness in his voice live, with the lyrics he forgets, with the 'cold' he catches (and has been catching since he was forty) that limits him every second night...

In his documentary he (and all the people interviewed) merrily discuss his drinking/smoking habits, with a joy and fun that I could expect from a 16YO, not from a pro. That's my problem: the waste of an immense talent.

And of course I am angry because this behaviour ruined the reunion; we know that he and Ritchie would not have gotten perfecty along anyway, but the animosity was certainly fuelled by him continuining to think to be a teenager without responsibity well beyond his forties.

For an opposite example of the same age, look no further than Ted Neeley; he did the Jesus Christ part in JCS's movie, the same IG sang for the theater version. Have you heard Neeley sing Gethsemane NOW, and can you imagine Ian singing as well?
19/7/2018, 16:49 Link to this post Send Email to mtb7   Send PM to mtb7 Blog
 
leelyt Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2017
Posts: 569
Reply | Quote
Re:


Mtb, agree totally. IG can still sing slow songs nicely, as soon as the pace is lifted he simply cannot keep up, he is instantly out of breath.
I doubt any rock singer has ever lost as [sign in to see URL] Lake maybe?
19/7/2018, 17:21 Link to this post Send Email to leelyt   Send PM to leelyt Blog
 
Stratman70 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 533
Reply | Quote
Re: My review of Memories in Rock II


quote:

purpletemple wrote:

My review about Memories in Rock II changed a bit after a few listens.

At first I thought it was just great and a solid performance from the band and Ritchie. Where it is true at some moments, it is far from being true all the way.

In fact, I made a "best of" both cd's for my mp3 player, and ended up putting mostly songs from CD2.

There are a lot of songs that are stiff (Spotlight Kid, I Surrender, Perfect Strangers, The Bonnet songs).

I really wish that Romero would learn the lyrics to the songs, it was "cute" the first time around (his accent and some of his interpretations), but now it's getting insulting. After all, these songs are rock classics and he should really make the effort of learning to sing the right words (Soldier of Fortune, Smoke on the Water, Perfect Strangers-apparently the dP repertoire is not his forte!).

On the other hand, some of his interpretations are really good (mainly the Dio songs and Mistreated).

Some soloing is just atrocious as well, and not just from Blackmore: What's with the keyboard solo in Difficult to cure? It sounds like a kid trying the different sounds of a newly bought keyboard. It's slow, boring, un-interesting.

What's with Ritchie's solo in Child in Time? Is that even a solo or some rhythmic noise?This said, it's an overall good version of the song.

But then, there are the great-really great solo: the middle part of Mistreated, the soloing on Catch the Rainbow, Carry on Jon and even Smoke on the [sign in to see URL] are felt, there's a lot of variations.

There are also great moments of band playing as in Lazy or Temple of the King or 16th Century Greensleeves wich display great emotion too.

Then there's the plodding songs, that are neither good nor bad: Since you Been gone, Black Night (drum solo is ok), All night Long, Stargazer.

My main problem with this record is that I feel like I'm walking on egg shells when I listen to it, that the song is just ready to break anytime and that some songs are just simply wrong for that band (Perfect Strangers, Man on the Silver Mountain).

The other problem I have, is that when I think about the record, I just want to listen to it, I just want to love it, and there are moments of greatness all over it, but so many weaknesses too, that it really leaves me feeling unfulfilled.

Therefor I made myself this best of MiRII, adding the 2 studio tracks (I Surrender and Waiting for a Sign-which are very good except for the drum-machine!).

My selection is:

Mistreated, 16th Century Greensleeves, Child in Time, Stargazer, LLRnR/ Lazy, Catch the Rainbow, Carry on Jon, Temple of the King, Waiting for a Sign (Studio), I Surrender (Studio). I would have added Difficult to Cure if it wasn't for the Keyboard solo disaster and SoTW if the vocals had been correct.


Well put. Sadly I agree with all you say. It leaves me unfullfilled too, though I really try to like it, there's too much weakness or when Blackmore shines during that great moment during Mistreated, the drummer spoils it with those 'prrrrrr' drumfills. Or when Blackers starts so beautiful Lazy, the singer and band do not 'feel' the structure or the way Ritchie wants to go. The same with TOTK. Maybe they still rehearsed too less.
19/7/2018, 17:46 Link to this post Send Email to Stratman70   Send PM to Stratman70
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 





You are not logged in (login)