Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3 ... 5  6  7  8 

 
ptr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2907
Reply | Quote
Re:


I saw Europe about decade ago and they were totally boring for me....

Last edited by ptr, 28/8/2017, 12:04
28/8/2017, 11:57 Link to this post Send Email to ptr   Send PM to ptr
 
leelyt Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2017
Posts: 300
Reply | Quote
Re: Re:


quote:

Big J wrote:

quote:

Concrete god wrote:

quote:

mcpurplemk2 wrote:

Having seen Europe a few times recently I feel they could give DP a run for their money here in the UK in November. I have a feeling a lot of people will be surprised how good they are and its not just about the final countdown.



That is true. Europe are good these days, much heavier.



I find Europe to be a really inconsistent live band. I've seen some excellent performances but some poor ones too. When they did the co-headlining UK tour with Black Star Riders a few years ago they were outclassed at the gig I saw.



If DP are blown off stage by Europe things are even worse than I feared.
28/8/2017, 18:46 Link to this post Send Email to leelyt   Send PM to leelyt Blog
 
David Meadows Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

The Fountain Of Useless Knowledge
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 5626
Reply | Quote
Re: Re:


quote:

leelyt wrote:
I really like SM, but the one MK II song I really hate from SM is Perfect Strangers, really dislike the wide bar that he does.

Down to personal taste I know, just really hate SM version of one of my favourite DP songs.



Personal taste is a funny thing. Perfect Strangers is the one Mk II song that I think the SM version is better than the Mk II version emoticon



---
"Music, shorn of labels and standing alone, when it is conceived, composed and performed with love and integrity, can elevate us all."
Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
29/8/2017, 8:07 Link to this post Send Email to David Meadows   Send PM to David Meadows
 
ptr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2907
Reply | Quote
Re: Re:


quote:

David Meadows wrote:

quote:

leelyt wrote:
I really like SM, but the one MK II song I really hate from SM is Perfect Strangers, really dislike the wide bar that he does.

Down to personal taste I know, just really hate SM version of one of my favourite DP songs.



Personal taste is a funny thing. Perfect Strangers is the one Mk II song that I think the SM version is better than the Mk II version emoticon




To me, Steve added something to that song which it needed - huge epic sound. emoticon As I said - it lacked something, it sounded unfinished, incomplete in Mk2 live takes. I´ll explain it on Sydney performance:

[url][sign in to see URL]

After keyboard introduction, that BIG intro is gone, because only drums and bass follows (0:25) then after some time guitar appear (0:29) and disapppear again (0:38 - 0:43)... Song sounds unfinished, incomplete, raw and dirty with those part of absenting or rough or "I play whatever I want" guitar. Mk2 live performances never got even close to the studio version of Strangers, with Steve, they got closer to the perfection of studio version IMO.
29/8/2017, 11:10 Link to this post Send Email to ptr   Send PM to ptr
 
paice30 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2005
Posts: 643
Reply | Quote
Re: Alice Cooper is literally kicked DP's behind on this tour


Perhaps it's because my expectations were lower with all the negative reviews recently, but I thought the band sounded fine, pretty good even, at the Holmdel show last night.

I'd even say they sounded better than Alice (whom I thought was too loud), walking around the venue to get the different vantage points.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with what is likely my last live Purple experience.
29/8/2017, 13:03 Link to this post Send Email to paice30   Send PM to paice30
 
Kinski Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 335
Reply | Quote
Re: Alice Cooper is literally kicked DP's behind on this tour


quote:

paice30 wrote:

I'd even say they sounded better than Alice (whom I thought was too loud), walking around the venue to get the different vantage points.





This is very accurate. When I saw the tour in Dallas on the 19th, Alice was just a loud wall of sound with little separation between the instruments. Purple and Edgar Winter both had much better sound.

Also, I've never been much of an Alice Cooper fan, he's something of a one trick pony to me. His songs definitely do not feature instrumentation and playing on the level of Deep Purple. And when I go to a show, the music is all that matters to me. Showmanship is a very distant second.

29/8/2017, 15:05 Link to this post Send Email to Kinski   Send PM to Kinski
 
Concrete god Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 1846
Reply | Quote
Re: Alice Cooper is literally kicked DP's behind on this tour


quote:

Kinski wrote:

quote:

paice30 wrote:

I'd even say they sounded better than Alice (whom I thought was too loud), walking around the venue to get the different vantage points.





This is very accurate. When I saw the tour in Dallas on the 19th, Alice was just a loud wall of sound with little separation between the instruments. Purple and Edgar Winter both had much better sound.

Also, I've never been much of an Alice Cooper fan, he's something of a one trick pony to me. His songs definitely do not feature instrumentation and playing on the level of Deep Purple. And when I go to a show, the music is all that matters to me. Showmanship is a very distant second.





Me too, never liked Alice Cooper or Kiss. Just silly dress-ups with weak music.
And a few sing-alongs..
29/8/2017, 17:34 Link to this post Send Email to Concrete god   Send PM to Concrete god Blog
 
Carramba2 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 11-2011
Posts: 163
Reply | Quote
Re: Alice Cooper is literally kicked DP's behind on this tour


Sadly, I will kind of agree after seeing them in Atlanta. This is the sixth time I see them and the first where I cringed at Gillan's vocals. Some notes:

- I realize how old Gillan is, but so far, he had always impressed and surpassed my expectations. So I wanted the same. I heard the complaints on the forum before, but this is the first time I see it myself. A couple of years back in NY he was still very impressive

- The rest of the band I would say was as impressive and crisp as ever. The US audience certainly was more into Alice Cooper, but I happened to sit next to some musicians, and they were impressed by the performances. DP were always a musician's music band IMO

- As for Alice, I share many of the same thoughts. I couldn't be bothered to listen to his music at home, and all I know is from what was overplayed on radio in the past, catchy fun music, but bubble gummish and with little substance. I wasn't looking forward to his segment, BUT I will admit that the show was entertaining and fun, really fun. Yes, the props and antics helped "cover up" for the just-ok music, but at the end of the day, it worked very well.

- One question for those who saw Alice - did he double track his vocals? They were too "proper" and sounded just like in studio, and it didn't look like he was straining much either, even on the high notes. It didn't seem like a real pure live show. Not complaining as it worked, but wondering. If so, I will give DP points for still insisting on being a pure live act

- Last point, Edgar Winters was a nice surprise. I never heard of the band before, but I recognized some songs. While not my kind of rock music, the old man sang incredibly well, especially for his age. He even did the guitar/vocal duo, and not badly... was it to show up Gillan maybe?

31/8/2017, 13:02 Link to this post Send Email to Carramba2   Send PM to Carramba2 Blog
 
JohninNJ4you Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 10-2003
Posts: 2127
Reply | Quote
Re:


I thought Edgar Winters was great. I will say that when I saw DP in Holmdel, NJ in the past, they sounded much better there than they did in Camden, NJ. Something about the construction of the venue in Holmdel makes DP sound superb. But that's just my opinion. Plus, the Northern NJ crowd is a little different from the Southern NJ crowd rock wise, maybe more DP fans are in North Jersey ?
31/8/2017, 15:58 Link to this post Send Email to JohninNJ4you   Send PM to JohninNJ4you
 
Concrete god Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 1846
Reply | Quote
Re: Alice Cooper is literally kicked DP's behind on this tour


quote:

Carramba2 wrote:

Sadly, I will kind of agree after seeing them in Atlanta. This is the sixth time I see them and the first where I cringed at Gillan's vocals. Some notes:

- I realize how old Gillan is, but so far, he had always impressed and surpassed my expectations. So I wanted the same. I heard the complaints on the forum before, but this is the first time I see it myself. A couple of years back in NY he was still very impressive

- The rest of the band I would say was as impressive and crisp as ever. The US audience certainly was more into Alice Cooper, but I happened to sit next to some musicians, and they were impressed by the performances. DP were always a musician's music band IMO

- As for Alice, I share many of the same thoughts. I couldn't be bothered to listen to his music at home, and all I know is from what was overplayed on radio in the past, catchy fun music, but bubble gummish and with little substance. I wasn't looking forward to his segment, BUT I will admit that the show was entertaining and fun, really fun. Yes, the props and antics helped "cover up" for the just-ok music, but at the end of the day, it worked very well.

- One question for those who saw Alice - did he double track his vocals? They were too "proper" and sounded just like in studio, and it didn't look like he was straining much either, even on the high notes. It didn't seem like a real pure live show. Not complaining as it worked, but wondering. If so, I will give DP points for still insisting on being a pure live act

- Last point, Edgar Winters was a nice surprise. I never heard of the band before, but I recognized some songs. While not my kind of rock music, the old man sang incredibly well, especially for his age. He even did the guitar/vocal duo, and not badly... was it to show up Gillan maybe?




He, Ian, DID have a bad cold you know. You can tell by watching YT from various shows.
31/8/2017, 16:15 Link to this post Send Email to Concrete god   Send PM to Concrete god Blog
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3 ... 5  6  7  8 





You are not logged in (login)