Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

 
Wojak Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 01-2004
Posts: 1443
Reply | Quote
Re: Big re-release of 1987...


Classic Rock gives the release a big thumbs up, likeing the evolutions material the best.

Last edited by Wojak, 4/10/2017, 15:52
4/10/2017, 15:51 Link to this post Send Email to Wojak   Send PM to Wojak
 
stuartcuk Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 11-2009
Posts: 193
Reply | Quote
Re:


Just if it wasn't clear to all - CD and Vinyl available Friday, only deluxe box is delayed.

]DCTwitter

]Indi&DCtwitter
4/10/2017, 19:57 Link to this post Send Email to stuartcuk   Send PM to stuartcuk
 
jmorton Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2006
Posts: 552
Reply | Quote
Re: Big re-release of 1987...


quote:

Wojak wrote:

Classic Rock gives the release a big thumbs up, likeing the evolutions material the best.



A positive review from Classic Rock? Has hell frozen over?
4/10/2017, 20:13 Link to this post Send Email to jmorton   Send PM to jmorton
 
Wojak Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 01-2004
Posts: 1443
Reply | Quote
Re: Big re-release of 1987...


quote:

jmorton wrote:

quote:

Wojak wrote:

Classic Rock gives the release a big thumbs up, likeing the evolutions material the best.



A positive review from Classic Rock? Has hell frozen over?



Ha, not yet. Here is the 2017 version of Here I Go Again. Check out the naked vocal at the start. Spectacular, what a voice.

]Here I go again 2017

6/10/2017, 10:08 Link to this post Send Email to Wojak   Send PM to Wojak
 
stuartcuk Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 11-2009
Posts: 193
Reply | Quote
Re:


Has anyone heard the remaster yet? DC continues to divide opinion even with the 2 UK amazon reviews!


Review 1 One star
I am absolutely amazed with this 30th anniversary remaster. That is, amazed at how David Donnelly has managed to make it sound even worse than the shrill, fingernails scraping glass sound of the 20th anniversary remaster. Two tracks into this and I can't take anymore. This is just mush and thoroughly unpleasant to listen to. The original version wasn't particularly stunning being a victim of late 80s digital recording but at least it was listenable and had some life to the mix. The 2017 remaster is akin to having a 1000 watt halogen light shone in your face whilst someone uses a pneumatic drill behind you. I thought this kind of ridiculous treatment of music had run its course but obviously not. No wonder the CD is dying. The format isn't to blame. The incompetence of so called 'professionals' is killing it. What is even more bizarre is I expect this same hideous remaster will have a few decibels shaved off it so it can be pressed on vinyl. Ah yes, vinyl. That would be that analog format that really isn't analog at all. But hey, if you want to spend £25 on a digital file on a record because 'vinyls are cool' then you're the music industry's best friend. And stupid.
1987 is a great album from a classic era for recorded music. What a shame it's legacy is represented by this sonic detritus.

Review 2 Five stars
Brilliant disc 1 sounds way better than the 20th Anniversary version and Disc two is fantastic i was so hoping they make a official release of that World Tour
8/10/2017, 19:30 Link to this post Send Email to stuartcuk   Send PM to stuartcuk
 
RatBatBlu Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 08-2012
Posts: 6452
Reply | Quote
Re: Big re-release of 1987...


Review One actually sounds like it could've been written by Classic Rock
8/10/2017, 22:46 Link to this post Send Email to RatBatBlu   Send PM to RatBatBlu Blog
 
Old Timer5 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 629
Reply | Quote
Re: Big re-release of 1987...


I was amazed that the decent review in Classic Rock was written by none other than Dave Everley, the same guy who gave the Purple Album that infamously BAD review! I wonder of this was a tactical decision by CR, to try and get DC back in their good books!
9/10/2017, 11:49 Link to this post Send PM to Old Timer5
 
jmorton Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2006
Posts: 552
Reply | Quote
Re: Big re-release of 1987...


quote:

Old Timer5 wrote:

I was amazed that the decent review in Classic Rock was written by none other than Dave Everley, the same guy who gave the Purple Album that infamously BAD review! I wonder of this was a tactical decision by CR, to try and get DC back in their good books!



That's amazing. lol

Actually I'd have been more surprised if it was Dave Ling ... who's seemed to have made covering DC the last decade a personal vendetta.
9/10/2017, 15:01 Link to this post Send Email to jmorton   Send PM to jmorton
 
Old Timer5 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 629
Reply | Quote
Re: Big re-release of 1987...


I finally received my 'Super Deluxe' box set yesterday. It's nicely put together and good value for money IMO.

I decided to put on the DVD last night primarily to watch the 30 minute documentary about the album and was really surprised that the videos for the 4 singles have been synced with the 2017 remixed version (not the 2017 'remasters') of the tracks- i.e. the ones appearing on the 1987 versions CD. I found it really noticeable that the music was different and found it a little off-putting at times. Don's get me wrong, the remixes are not radically different, but I don't get why they've done this.

My other slight gripe about the dvd is that despite the videos apparently having been 'fully restored', the picture quality is pretty poor. I haven't done a comparison but my first instinct is that the picture quality is no better (possibly worse) than on the dvd accompanying the 25th anniversary re-issue version.

Music wise, I've no complaints- DC has pretty much included absolutely everything he could have in this package and fair play to him for releasing the demo's (warts and all) on the Evolutions disc.
31/10/2017, 12:19 Link to this post Send PM to Old Timer5
 
Wojak Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 01-2004
Posts: 1443
Reply | Quote
Re: Big re-release of 1987...


quote:

Old Timer5 wrote:

I finally received my 'Super Deluxe' box set yesterday. It's nicely put together and good value for money IMO.

I decided to put on the DVD last night primarily to watch the 30 minute documentary about the album and was really surprised that the videos for the 4 singles have been synced with the 2017 remixed version (not the 2017 'remasters') of the tracks- i.e. the ones appearing on the 1987 versions CD. I found it really noticeable that the music was different and found it a little off-putting at times. Don's get me wrong, the remixes are not radically different, but I don't get why they've done this.

My other slight gripe about the dvd is that despite the videos apparently having been 'fully restored', the picture quality is pretty poor. I haven't done a comparison but my first instinct is that the picture quality is no better (possibly worse) than on the dvd accompanying the 25th anniversary re-issue version.

Music wise, I've no complaints- DC has pretty much included absolutely everything he could have in this package and fair play to him for releasing the demo's (warts and all) on the Evolutions disc.



Yes, I went through mine at the weekend. Not watched the DVD yet but I reckon this is a great package. The evolutions disk is excellent, it really shows how songs develop and get to the endpoint. Good work I say.

31/10/2017, 15:30 Link to this post Send Email to Wojak   Send PM to Wojak
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6 





You are not logged in (login)