Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3 ... 7  8  9  10 

 
ptr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2907
Reply | Quote
Re: Gillan, Glover and Paice on Ritchie's absence at HOF


quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

ptr wrote:

quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

ptr wrote:

quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

ptr wrote:

quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

Friedhelm wrote:

quote:

mtb7 wrote:

Oh, [sign in to see URL] I have to explain it all?? Session players ARE excellent musicians, and yet if I say about someone that he's JUST a session player I am not contradicting - I am saying that he is excellent technically but not very creative or unique. And I stand by my opinion that whilst Don is a great musician, he is not very gifted from a 'uniqueness' point of view, nor does he have a lot to say as a songwriter. I know 2 (2!) people on this board will reply that he wrote a lot of fantastic stuff on NW (true to a minor extent) but my point is that he has a 40- years long career, with quite a few solo albums and countless collaborations, and unfortunately things point towards my view on pretty much all of it. Pls. Don't take this as lack of respect for him, which has nothing to do with my point.



I have a totally different view on Don Airey. Not only because he wrote a lot of stuff on NW and also on Rapture. He also won the European Song Contest with his arrangement of "Walking on Sunshine" - which - by the way - means nothing to me personally. His intro to Mr. Crowley is legendary. And have you listened to his solo stuff? He has a lot to offer. You judge him, like I perhaps would judge Jon Lord, if I only knew him from Whitesnake, where he wasn't allowed to show his talents, because they were not fitting the direction David Coverdale wanted to go. Don Airey has a lot to offer as a musician and a songwriter. But only when he joined Deep Purple he was in a role, where he could show all his talents.



I don't think anyone on this forum could seriously question Don Aireys undoubted talents as a keyboard player?He most certainly has great technical [sign in to see URL] opinion on Don is that he's a follower rather than an innovative genius like Lord,Wakeman or [sign in to see URL] is not the most charismatic performer either, and has the stage persona of a [sign in to see URL] had an impossible task to follow the great Jon Lord who basically invented the style of rock keyboards that he made famous in Deep Purple and of course oozed charisma.I have no idea how much of Now What Don was responsible for? but what i will say is that the keyboard parts were a mish mash of licks stolen from Jon Lord,Keith Emerson,Tony Banks and Ray Manzarek,credit for having the skill to be able to clone those guys styles but i don't see anything Don Airey can claim as his own in all this .Surely if Don had all this talent as a songwriter it would have come to our notice before he was pensionable age dontcha think?One famous intro for Mr Crowley does not a keyboard legend make.



"but what i will say is that the keyboard parts were a mish mash of licks stolen from Jon Lord,Keith Emerson,Tony Banks and Ray Manzarek,credit for having the skill to be able to clone those guys styles but i don't see anything Don Airey can claim as his own in all this"

Epic Facepalm here..... emoticon I´ll say it once again - THIS coming from Blackmore hardcore fan (purist) sounds like some kind of bad joke.



Blackmore has admitted often that he's stolen bits and peices over the years ,every musician does to an extent ,the difference being everything Blackmore pinches comes out sounding like Blackmore ,that's the thing here ,Blackmore has his own sound and style and nobody sounds like him,Don doesn't have that uniqueness ,he's a follower not a leader which is perfect for the touring tribute band



Actually I think that NW?! pieces are much more original than those pieces stolen by Ritchie (and I mean really STOLEN!).... As much as I love The Doors and Riders On The Storm, Blood From A Stone has NOTHING to do with ROTS musically, it´s just using the same instrument and intentionally setting similar mood by that instrument, nothing else. The same goes for other mentioned ones.




behave yourself man FFS!!! On the one hand your happy to say that Ritchie Blackmore has stolen material (something he freely admits to) whilst on the other hand Don only sets the mood from previous peices emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon Holy !@#$ man you even NAMED the bloody song he STOLE from)or should i say set the mood from?) emoticon emoticon emoticon At the end of the day Ritchie Blackmore is a legendary, innovative, hugely influential [sign in to see URL] Airey is NOT!! Jon Lord WAS!!!Youre ridiculous anti Blackmore propaganda is reaching ridiculous proportions man, your making a bloody fool of yourself.



How many songs in Doors catalog are using Fender Rhodes? One.... emoticon Really not very difficult job. When I heard Blood From a Stone for the first time, of course that because of using THAT INSTRUMENT it reminded me Riders On The Storm. Musically - it´s COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!!

And as far as I know - using the same instrument (which is pretty rarely used) is not stealing! emoticon



yeah yeah change the subject again deflect from your Blackmore bashing and blatant double standards emoticon emoticon emoticon
You really are making a complete fool of yourself man.



It´s actually you who make fool of himself. emoticon

Of course nothing from these is going to be new one for anyone:
[url][sign in to see URL]

some of stuff here:
[url][sign in to see URL]

Please give me a sections (mins and seconds) from Blood From A Stone which are "note-by-note" identical or close (similar) to Riders On The Storm... that´s the main point of "stealing"! As I told you - musically those songs are completely DIFFERENT. It´s ONLY the same instrument setting very similar mood... You may read an interview with Don done after the album was released wheroe he said something like that when they did that song, he KNEW that Rhodes piano is the right one for that mood, atmosphere... which is similar like Riders On The Storm from Doors. Even Don himself described it that way. But my opinion is obvious - in legal dispute, songs admitted by RB would be much bigger issue than this one! I have NO doubts about that.
17/4/2016, 9:25 Link to this post Send Email to ptr   Send PM to ptr
 
lightintheblack0 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 5745
Reply | Quote
Re: Gillan, Glover and Paice on Ritchie's absence at HOF


quote:

ptr wrote:


It´s actually you who make fool of himself. emoticon

Of course nothing from these is going to be new one for anyone:
[url][sign in to see URL]

some of stuff here:
[url][sign in to see URL]

Please give me a sections (mins and seconds) from Blood From A Stone which are "note-by-note" identical or close (similar) to Riders On The Storm... that´s the main point of "stealing"! As I told you - musically those songs are completely DIFFERENT. It´s ONLY the same instrument setting very similar mood... You may read an interview with Don done after the album was released wheroe he said something like that when they did that song, he KNEW that Rhodes piano is the right one for that mood, atmosphere... which is similar like Riders On The Storm from Doors. Even Don himself described it that way. But my opinion is obvious - in legal dispute, songs admitted by RB would be much bigger issue than this one! I have NO doubts about that.



seriously ? you think that somebody who has followed Deep Purple for the last 40 years doesnt know about this? emoticon I think every long time Blackmore and DP fan knows about this?I wonder why the band haven't landed in court over this plagiarism? emoticon As i said you will try anything to discredit Blackmore it really does you no credit and leaves you looking rather silly emoticon
17/4/2016, 16:48 Link to this post Send Email to lightintheblack0   Send PM to lightintheblack0 Blog
 
ptr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2907
Reply | Quote
Re: Gillan, Glover and Paice on Ritchie's absence at HOF


quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

ptr wrote:


It´s actually you who make fool of himself. emoticon

Of course nothing from these is going to be new one for anyone:
[url][sign in to see URL]

some of stuff here:
[url][sign in to see URL]

Please give me a sections (mins and seconds) from Blood From A Stone which are "note-by-note" identical or close (similar) to Riders On The Storm... that´s the main point of "stealing"! As I told you - musically those songs are completely DIFFERENT. It´s ONLY the same instrument setting very similar mood... You may read an interview with Don done after the album was released wheroe he said something like that when they did that song, he KNEW that Rhodes piano is the right one for that mood, atmosphere... which is similar like Riders On The Storm from Doors. Even Don himself described it that way. But my opinion is obvious - in legal dispute, songs admitted by RB would be much bigger issue than this one! I have NO doubts about that.



seriously ? you think that somebody who has followed Deep Purple for the last 40 years doesnt know about this? emoticon I think every long time Blackmore and DP fan knows about this?I wonder why the band haven't landed in court over this plagiarism? emoticon As i said you will try anything to discredit Blackmore it really does you no credit and leaves you looking rather silly emoticon



How stating the obvious and well-known fact can be seen as "trying to discredit Ritchie"? emoticon Stating the fact is stating the fact, it doesnt matter whether it´s said for the 3rd time or 12689425th time - it´s still fact. You were the one who said that Don stole the stuff on Now What?! - which is (especially in the case of Blood From A Stone) absolute nonsense and I explained why. I know and love Riders On The Storm, I know and love Blood From A Stone - and musically - they are very different. No same or even similar chord progressions, Fender Rhodes plays completely different roles in each of the songs too. What you wrote is simply utter nonsense. emoticon
17/4/2016, 17:21 Link to this post Send Email to ptr   Send PM to ptr
 
Friedhelm Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 387
Reply | Quote
Re: Gillan, Glover and Paice on Ritchie's absence at HOF


quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

Friedhelm wrote:

quote:

YOU are the one who mentioned Ritche is famous for what he did in the past and that he walked away from that fame ,somehow implying that Gillan and co are famous for anything post 70s?


Did I? Where? Or did you read something into my posts, that I did not write nor mean?



If that wasn't what you meant then my apologies , please explain what you did mean ?



I never implied, that Gillan is famous for his post purple work. By the way, he also isn't famous for his work with Episode 6. Like Blackmore, Lord, Paice and Glover he became famous with DP MK2. This is what I meant.
17/4/2016, 21:17 Link to this post Send Email to Friedhelm   Send PM to Friedhelm
 
lightintheblack0 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 5745
Reply | Quote
Re: Gillan, Glover and Paice on Ritchie's absence at HOF


quote:

ptr wrote:

quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

ptr wrote:


It´s actually you who make fool of himself. emoticon

Of course nothing from these is going to be new one for anyone:
[url][sign in to see URL]

some of stuff here:
[url][sign in to see URL]

Please give me a sections (mins and seconds) from Blood From A Stone which are "note-by-note" identical or close (similar) to Riders On The Storm... that´s the main point of "stealing"! As I told you - musically those songs are completely DIFFERENT. It´s ONLY the same instrument setting very similar mood... You may read an interview with Don done after the album was released wheroe he said something like that when they did that song, he KNEW that Rhodes piano is the right one for that mood, atmosphere... which is similar like Riders On The Storm from Doors. Even Don himself described it that way. But my opinion is obvious - in legal dispute, songs admitted by RB would be much bigger issue than this one! I have NO doubts about that.



seriously ? you think that somebody who has followed Deep Purple for the last 40 years doesnt know about this? emoticon I think every long time Blackmore and DP fan knows about this?I wonder why the band haven't landed in court over this plagiarism? emoticon As i said you will try anything to discredit Blackmore it really does you no credit and leaves you looking rather silly emoticon



How stating the obvious and well-known fact can be seen as "trying to discredit Ritchie"? emoticon Stating the fact is stating the fact, it doesnt matter whether it´s said for the 3rd time or 12689425th time - it´s still fact. You were the one who said that Don stole the stuff on Now What?! - which is (especially in the case of Blood From A Stone) absolute nonsense and I explained why. I know and love Riders On The Storm, I know and love Blood From A Stone - and musically - they are very different. No same or even similar chord progressions, Fender Rhodes plays completely different roles in each of the songs too. What you wrote is simply utter nonsense. emoticon



yeah yeah you always have a way to explain yourself out of anything. emoticon The FACTS are

[sign in to see URL] Blackmore is an unique,innovative and hugely influential musician,who has most certainly used material he has heard previously and Blackmoreised [sign in to see URL] being said he basically invented a style of Rock guitar playing which no one had ever done [sign in to see URL] most certainly didn't steal that from anyone.

2. Jon Lord is the equivalent of Blackmore except on Rock keyboards

3. Don Airey is a hugely talented keyboard player, but in no way shape or form comes anywhere close to the stature of those legendary [sign in to see URL] is a follower not a leader or [sign in to see URL] course according to you he doesn't steal anything he simply "sets a mood" with other peoples work emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
17/4/2016, 21:30 Link to this post Send Email to lightintheblack0   Send PM to lightintheblack0 Blog
 
Friedhelm Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 387
Reply | Quote
Re: Gillan, Glover and Paice on Ritchie's absence at HOF


I never saw this clips before, very interesting. And I too see a difference: Whereas Ritchie took inspirations from older songs and tranfered them note by note, Don doensn't. But I would not talk about stealing. Because Ritchie took this notes and made new songs out of them, took them to a higher level. I'm not so sure about Fireball, which really seems to be copy. I was shocked, when I heard the original a few years ago. It's not the only exmaple. There's a song from a German band, called "Schröders Roadshow" from around 1980 called "Anarchy in Germoney". Nearly the complete song including the vocal melody sounds like Ramshackle Man. But that maybe coincidence. I doubt, that Ritchie or Ian ever heard of Schröders Roadshow.
17/4/2016, 21:47 Link to this post Send Email to Friedhelm   Send PM to Friedhelm
 
ptr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2907
Reply | Quote
Re: Gillan, Glover and Paice on Ritchie's absence at HOF


quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

ptr wrote:

quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

ptr wrote:


It´s actually you who make fool of himself. emoticon

Of course nothing from these is going to be new one for anyone:
[url][sign in to see URL]

some of stuff here:
[url][sign in to see URL]

Please give me a sections (mins and seconds) from Blood From A Stone which are "note-by-note" identical or close (similar) to Riders On The Storm... that´s the main point of "stealing"! As I told you - musically those songs are completely DIFFERENT. It´s ONLY the same instrument setting very similar mood... You may read an interview with Don done after the album was released wheroe he said something like that when they did that song, he KNEW that Rhodes piano is the right one for that mood, atmosphere... which is similar like Riders On The Storm from Doors. Even Don himself described it that way. But my opinion is obvious - in legal dispute, songs admitted by RB would be much bigger issue than this one! I have NO doubts about that.



seriously ? you think that somebody who has followed Deep Purple for the last 40 years doesnt know about this? emoticon I think every long time Blackmore and DP fan knows about this?I wonder why the band haven't landed in court over this plagiarism? emoticon As i said you will try anything to discredit Blackmore it really does you no credit and leaves you looking rather silly emoticon



How stating the obvious and well-known fact can be seen as "trying to discredit Ritchie"? emoticon Stating the fact is stating the fact, it doesnt matter whether it´s said for the 3rd time or 12689425th time - it´s still fact. You were the one who said that Don stole the stuff on Now What?! - which is (especially in the case of Blood From A Stone) absolute nonsense and I explained why. I know and love Riders On The Storm, I know and love Blood From A Stone - and musically - they are very different. No same or even similar chord progressions, Fender Rhodes plays completely different roles in each of the songs too. What you wrote is simply utter nonsense. emoticon



yeah yeah you always have a way to explain yourself out of anything. emoticon The FACTS are

[sign in to see URL] Blackmore is an unique,innovative and hugely influential musician,who has most certainly used material he has heard previously and Blackmoreised [sign in to see URL] being said he basically invented a style of Rock guitar playing which no one had ever done [sign in to see URL] most certainly didn't steal that from anyone.

2. Jon Lord is the equivalent of Blackmore except on Rock keyboards

3. Don Airey is a hugely talented keyboard player, but in no way shape or form comes anywhere close to the stature of those legendary [sign in to see URL] is a follower not a leader or [sign in to see URL] course according to you he doesn't steal anything he simply "sets a mood" with other peoples work emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon



No he "didnt set to mood" with other peoples work. That song simply evolved like that - and that keyboard instrument was simply perfectly fitting to that (as my great friend calls it) "coffee and cigar" type of blues song.
18/4/2016, 6:02 Link to this post Send Email to ptr   Send PM to ptr
 
lightintheblack0 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 5745
Reply | Quote
Re: Gillan, Glover and Paice on Ritchie's absence at HOF


quote:

Friedhelm wrote:

quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

Friedhelm wrote:

quote:

YOU are the one who mentioned Ritche is famous for what he did in the past and that he walked away from that fame ,somehow implying that Gillan and co are famous for anything post 70s?


Did I? Where? Or did you read something into my posts, that I did not write nor mean?



If that wasn't what you meant then my apologies , please explain what you did mean ?



I never implied, that Gillan is famous for his post purple work. By the way, he also isn't famous for his work with Episode 6. Like Blackmore, Lord, Paice and Glover he became famous with DP MK2. This is what I meant.



ah i see Friedheim my apologies ,so why didn't you say that ? emoticon
18/4/2016, 17:56 Link to this post Send Email to lightintheblack0   Send PM to lightintheblack0 Blog
 
lightintheblack0 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 5745
Reply | Quote
Re: Gillan, Glover and Paice on Ritchie's absence at HOF


quote:

ptr wrote:


No he "didnt set to mood" with other peoples work.



 emoticon YOU are the one who told us all that thats what he did??? Make your mind up man emoticon

18/4/2016, 17:58 Link to this post Send Email to lightintheblack0   Send PM to lightintheblack0 Blog
 
ptr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2907
Reply | Quote
Re: Gillan, Glover and Paice on Ritchie's absence at HOF


quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

ptr wrote:


No he "didnt set to mood" with other peoples work.



 emoticon YOU are the one who told us all that thats what he did??? Make your mind up man emoticon




I meant that sound of instrument creates some sort of mood. emoticon

The difference is:
It wasnt like "hey let´s make something like Doors Riders On The Storm with Fender Rhodes...." - but it was like "hmmm... this sounds like nice song, but it´s lacking something like Fender Rhodes piano - creating specific mood". emoticon

Last edited by ptr, 18/4/2016, 18:39
18/4/2016, 18:35 Link to this post Send Email to ptr   Send PM to ptr
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3 ... 7  8  9  10 





You are not logged in (login)