Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo






runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3  4 

 
purpletemple Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 8972
Reply | Quote
Re: Quatermass... Who they?!


I've got an album of Hard Stuff called Bolex Dementia.Cool stuff.

BigJ...Marsden is all yours! emoticon (as I'm listening to Come an' get it)

---
"Did you know you have hairs up your nostrils?"
7/1/2004, 13:07 Link to this post Send Email to purpletemple   Send PM to purpletemple
 
Nigel Young Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Deep Purple 'Train Spotter' Extraordinaire

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 404
Reply | Quote
Re: Quatermass... Who they?!


Gillans micstand wrote:
quote:


To all those in favor of big John Gustafson
I suggest you check out a band from the early 70's called Hard Stuff a band that
featured ex members of May Blitz.
Check out May Blitz while your at it.
They made two albums May Blitz and
Second Of May,they were an awesome hard rock
band in the Hendrix vein.



Huh? Hard Stuff was Gustafson and two guys from Atomic Rooster [John Cann and Paul Hammond].

May Blitz were Tony Newman on drums with a couple of Canadians, James Black and Reid Hudson.

Nigel

Last edited by Nigel Young, 7/1/2004, 13:49
7/1/2004, 13:34 Link to this post Send Email to Nigel Young   Send PM to Nigel Young Blog
 
MrEd45 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Admin

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 9983
Reply | Quote
Re: Quatermass... Who they?!


quote:

Nigel Young wrote:

quote:

MrEd45 wrote:

I know more about the "original" Quatermass of the early 70s, with Pete Robinson on guitar/vocals;Mock Underwood on drums + John Gustafson



Pete Robinson's a keyboard player, Hammond, etc. The original BSOTF, as well as being written by a Hammond, is a Hammond-fest, no lead guitar.

Nigel



You are , of course, correct, Nogel. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed "guitar/vocals" after Robonson's name...probably a similar thing like which led me to re-name Mick Underwood, "Mock" Underwood emoticon All of which shows how little I know of Quatermass! emoticon

---
" Those who can - do. Those who can't do - teach. Those who can't do or teach - administrate."
- Anon.

" One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
7/1/2004, 15:52 Link to this post Send Email to MrEd45   Send PM to MrEd45 Blog
 
Gillans micstand Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Banned user

Registered: 11-2003
Posts: 12425
Reply | Quote
Re: Quatermass... Who they?!


Nigel Young wrote:


quote:

Huh? Hard Stuff was Gustafson and two guys from Atomic Rooster [John Cann and Paul Hammond].

May Blitz were Tony Newman on drums with a couple of Canadians, James Black and Reid Hudson.




I seemed to be misinformed by the liner notes in Cherkazoo Nigel.
I actually never knew where Hard Stuff had evolved from until I read this.

Atomic Rooster 'eh wasn't there another Purple family member in that band,
who was it?
Tell me Nigel
would I be wrong (again)if I said it was Bernie Torme'? emoticon

Last edited by Gillans micstand, 7/1/2004, 21:54
7/1/2004, 21:12 Link to this post Send Email to Gillans micstand
 
Nigel Young Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Deep Purple 'Train Spotter' Extraordinaire

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 404
Reply | Quote
Re: Quatermass... Who they?!


Yes, Bernie T was briefly in Atomic Rooster in the 1980's, around 1983-84.

May Blitz's Tony Newman is also Purple-related.

Nigel
7/1/2004, 23:14 Link to this post Send Email to Nigel Young   Send PM to Nigel Young Blog
 
Nigel Young Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Deep Purple 'Train Spotter' Extraordinaire

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 404
Reply | Quote
Re: Quatermass... Who they?!


MrEd45 wrote:

quote:


You are , of course, correct, Nogel. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed "guitar/vocals" after Robonson's name...probably a similar thing like which led me to re-name Mick Underwood, "Mock"



Or 'Robonson' or 'Nogel'. Blame the speed-typing! Those i's and o's are so close together.

Nigel

7/1/2004, 23:20 Link to this post Send Email to Nigel Young   Send PM to Nigel Young Blog
 
purpletemple Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 8972
Reply | Quote
Re: Quatermass... Who they?!


Torme in Atomic Rooster?
Interesting...any albums recorded with him?

---
"Did you know you have hairs up your nostrils?"
7/1/2004, 23:21 Link to this post Send Email to purpletemple   Send PM to purpletemple
 
Gillans micstand Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Banned user

Registered: 11-2003
Posts: 12425
Reply | Quote
Re: Quatermass... Who they?!


Nigel Young wrote:


quote:

May Blitz's Tony Newman is also Purple-related.



Well Nigel
that must be where our friend Simon
got it wrong in the liner notes to Cherkazoo 'eh.
Go read 'em and see for yourself.
8/1/2004, 1:54 Link to this post Send Email to Gillans micstand
 
MrEd45 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Admin

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 9983
Reply | Quote
Re: Quatermass... Who they?!


quote:

Nigel Young wrote

Or 'Robonson' or 'Nogel'. Blame the speed-typing! Those i's and o's are so close together.

Nigel




Actually, I think "Nogel" looks kinda cool! emoticon
And you're right...that damn "i" is too close to that damn "o"! emoticon
The hooves don't help a great deal, either! emoticon

---
" Those who can - do. Those who can't do - teach. Those who can't do or teach - administrate."
- Anon.

" One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
8/1/2004, 9:52 Link to this post Send Email to MrEd45   Send PM to MrEd45 Blog
 
Rahul Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 6181
Reply | Quote
Re: Quatermass... Who they?!


Don't worry Christos!

Quatermass II, which you have, were a short lived band that made one album, Long Road.

It's a good album, with some nice tracks, but like you say, not anything out of the ordinary!

However, the original Quatermass from 1970 only made one album that was self-titled.

And it is completely different! No guitar at all. Just a heavy-pounding power trio with John Gustafson on bass/vocals, Pete Robinson on keyboards, and Mick Underwood on drums.

The album bears absolutely no resemblance to Quatermass II whatsoever, save for the drummer and the Quatermass name.

It's a very progressive, even industrial, sounding album with a complete sound of its own. Gustafson's bass is fabulous, and Robinson has to work overtime to compensate for a lack of a guitar, a job he does incredibly well.

I've got a boot of them from Berlin, and its full of brilliant keyboard jams and heavy basslines.

An excellent band. Nothing like the belated follow up!
21/1/2004, 11:56 Link to this post Send Email to Rahul   Send PM to Rahul
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3  4 





You are not logged in (login)