Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info


Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


A cool story, Doggone!
18/6/2014, 5:31 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
heimdall Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 373
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


quote:

Rezi wrote:
I was blown away by LCIJ (especially Wild Dogs!), and much later, by MkIII Final Concerts. The latter sounded almost like a different band. Not because of the weaker sound than MIE, but all the stuff that was going on during the set. Not least Highway Star and that driving instrumental part with Blackmore's guitar howling in feedback.



Totally agree about LCIJ and especially Wild Dogs, still one of my all time favorite versions of one of my all time favorite songs. That strange, hollow sound and the gloomy front cover photo just made the album more mysterious and enigmatic to me as an 11 year old, and the fact that I picked up the Japanese pressing on import with that glorious print quality and Japanese lyric sheet just made it even better.

I'll never forget when I found it, browsing through the Deep Purple section at a local record store for the umpteenth time, and hardly believing my eyes when I saw it. I took it home on the bus, and listened to with that insane concentration you can only muster at that age, looking at those tiny live photos on the lyric sheet and trying to picture what they actually were like live (and wondering what the PAL album pictured on the obi strip sounded like, and dreaming about the "Live In Japan" album also shown on the obi, being totally convinced it was a double live album I've never heard, totally different from MIJ).

Those were the days...

Regarding MkIII The Final Concert, it was awesome to finally be able to hear all those tracks that were left off MIE, but I was a little disappointed that it didn't have the same monumental sound that MIE had - still one of my favorite productions ever.

I can't figure out Martin Birch's productions, some albums sound fantastic and just right for the music (like Fireball, MIE, CTTB), and some just sound strangely flat and thin, with no bass or dynamics whatsoever (first Rainbow album, Stormbringer, and actually most other Birch productions that I've heard).

The production on LCIJ just sounds vindictive towards Bolin, especially with the liner notes on the back and the choice of photo of Tommy where he looks so druggy, bloated and swollen.


1/7/2014, 4:58 Link to this post Send Email to heimdall   Send PM to heimdall
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info


Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


Ah, the times. Sigh. I miss the mystique!

Another fantastic production from Birch is On Stage. That album sounds simply magical.
1/7/2014, 5:55 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
RatBatBlu Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 08-2012
Posts: 6419
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


quote:

Rezi wrote:

Another fantastic production from Birch is On Stage. That album sounds simply magical.



Agreed! And the Deluxe Edition blasting in the car? Amazing!

2/7/2014, 3:20 Link to this post Send Email to RatBatBlu   Send PM to RatBatBlu Blog
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info


Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


quote:

RatBatBlu wrote:

quote:

Rezi wrote:

Another fantastic production from Birch is On Stage. That album sounds simply magical.



Agreed! And the Deluxe Edition blasting in the car? Amazing!




That's what I did with it, not being able to listen to music at home, go for a ride and turn it up as loud as possible!
2/7/2014, 20:04 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
heimdall Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 373
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


quote:

Rezi wrote:
That's what I did with it, not being able to listen to music at home, go for a ride and turn it up as loud as possible!



Ha ha, that sounds familiar! I once spent a Swedish midwinter night driving really fast from Stockholm to Malmö with Rainbow (Mr. Peach bootlegs) at full blast all the way, worked perfectly!

I also like On Stage a lot, just like on MIE, Birch has really created a magnificent atmosphere on that album.
2/7/2014, 23:45 Link to this post Send Email to heimdall   Send PM to heimdall
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info


Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


quote:

heimdall wrote:

quote:

Rezi wrote:
That's what I did with it, not being able to listen to music at home, go for a ride and turn it up as loud as possible!



Ha ha, that sounds familiar! I once spent a Swedish midwinter night driving really fast from Stockholm to Malmö with Rainbow (Mr. Peach bootlegs) at full blast all the way, worked perfectly!

I also like On Stage a lot, just like on MIE, Birch has really created a magnificent atmosphere on that album.



That's so cool, it's like being at the gig. But not actually being there! emoticon
3/7/2014, 14:00 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
heimdall Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 373
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


quote:

Rezi wrote:
That's so cool, it's like being at the gig. But not actually being there! emoticon



I wish I had been...

I love both On Stage and the Mr. Peach recordings, On Stage for the majestic power, and Mr. Peach's for the sense of being there.
3/7/2014, 19:08 Link to this post Send Email to heimdall   Send PM to heimdall
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info


Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


quote:

heimdall wrote:

quote:

Rezi wrote:
That's so cool, it's like being at the gig. But not actually being there! emoticon



I wish I had been...

I love both On Stage and the Mr. Peach recordings, On Stage for the majestic power, and Mr. Peach's for the sense of being there.



Mr. Peach, where ever you are, I salute you. You nailed it.
3/7/2014, 20:35 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
danielb Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 10-2003
Posts: 3389
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


Slightly off-topic, but speaking of GH's bass playing, check out the studio version of Muscle & Blood from Hughes/Thrall. If I would pick one track to highlight his bass playing it would probably be this. Great guitar riff full of swagger to start with, but the bass makes that track. His speciality is the notes he doesn't play, imo. So groovy.

Mk 3 would have sounded very different without Glenn's bass that's for sure.

Last edited by danielb, 6/7/2014, 7:57
6/7/2014, 7:55 Link to this post Send Email to danielb   Send PM to danielb
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6 





You are not logged in (login)