Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info


Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


quote:

heimdall wrote:

quote:

Rezi wrote:
I absolutely agree about the bass-heaviness of the 2004 version. The speakers were dancing when I first put it on, and when I went to the other end of the flat I could still hear the bass lines loud and clear!



Ha ha, that's great! I wish I could have done that, too - alas, both my wife and my daughters hate all 70's hard rock, so I'm mostly confined to headphones and the car emoticon

quote:

Rezi wrote: One of the best sounding DP releases for sure, and a great gig, too.



It most definitely is!

I also think that MIE is a masterpiece, despite the tinkering and the silly loop at the end. It's still one of my all time favourite records, I just love everything about it, but most especially the bass playing. It's f**king genius - so heavy, so funky, rhythmic and authoritative.



MIE was my first DP album (not the first one I heard but bought). It's still one of my very favourites, and I'd probably take it over LIP 1975 if I had to choose. The versions of the songs - despite edits - are the best I've ever heard.
11/4/2013, 14:48 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
heimdall Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 373
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


quote:

Rezi wrote:
MIE was my first DP album (not the first one I heard but bought).



CTTB was my first, I bought it on cassette in a gas station on a long car ride with my folks. I was blown away, and listened to it slavishly (and must confess that I still do, on occasion)...

MIE was my second, I got it as a Christmas present. I will never, ever forget when I put it on. "Rock'n'roll..." and then into "Burn". The sheer awesome power of it. What can I say! After that I got MIJ, WDWTWA, Burn, SB, Fireball, IR and a MkI+MkII collection in roughly that order. (I thought MH sounded weak compared to MIJ and the rest, so I never bought it until many years later.)

quote:

Rezi wrote: It's still one of my very favourites, and I'd probably take it over LIP 1975 if I had to choose. The versions of the songs - despite edits - are the best I've ever heard.



I agree wholeheartedly! It's perfect, in all respects.
11/4/2013, 19:46 Link to this post Send Email to heimdall   Send PM to heimdall
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info


Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


The first one I heard was, played to me be a new-ish mate, was 24 Carat Purple, followed by Machine Head. Then it was MIJ, and PS. All LPs of his or his older brother's. This happened around the reunion, I was 10 or 11. He also played some of MIE, which he had on a recorded tape. I don't know why it sounded even more magical than those other ones (I remember being blown away by the combination of energy and stuff like the solos in HS), maybe it was a certain melodic thing about Burn and Stormbringer. As soon as I scraped the money together, I went to buy that album. The aforementioned mate was pissed off as I hadn't gotten an album he didn't already have. I saw his point but couldn't help it!

I think the next album to have such an impact on me was Scandinavian Nights, in 1988. Despite having heard MIJ countless times it was even more amazing. I still think so. I could listen to it ten times without getting bored. Especially WTN. So maybe the boys had a point with all that soloing!

However, I think MIE remains the DP album I have played the most over the years.
12/4/2013, 10:13 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
RatBatBlu Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 08-2012
Posts: 6675
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


First Blackmore I ever heard was Rainbow's LLRnR album. It was '79 or '80 and I was 9 or 10. It was a neighbor friend's older brother's album (seems to be a recurring theme emoticon ) and when the keys started on GoB, my ears really perked [sign in to see URL] it got to the guitar solo (I was already playing by this time) and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I had never heard anyone else play like that. When that album finished, I asked if he had any other albums by this [sign in to see URL] brought back Rising and then explained to me that the guitarist came from another band called Deep Purple. He handed me the Burn album and my life changed forever...

He let me borrow these albums for a few weeks then I went out and bought the ones I mentioned (after doing chores to earn the $$) then slowly over time picked up MiJ, Fireball and In Rock. Meanwhile, DtE, DtC and SBtE had come out and I had already seen Rainbow live (same neighbor's older brother took us after much begging emoticon ). By the time PS came out I had all the Mk 2&3 lps.
12/4/2013, 15:24 Link to this post Send Email to RatBatBlu   Send PM to RatBatBlu Blog
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info


Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


Very nice recollections, thanks guys!

EDIT: One of the great things about 24 Carat Purple (which has a strange track list - I much later realised it was based around Mk2 singles) was that it had most of the album sleeves - inc. the mysterious Purple Passages - on the back sleeve.

I also remember bumping into the Charlesworth biography in a second hand book store. It blew me away to read the story in such detail and see all those pictures of the various line-ups on and off stage.

Last edited by Rezi, 15/4/2013, 9:25
15/4/2013, 9:20 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
heimdall Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 373
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


quote:

Rezi wrote:

Very nice recollections, thanks guys!

EDIT: One of the great things about 24 Carat Purple (which has a strange track list - I much later realised it was based around Mk2 singles) was that it had most of the album sleeves - inc. the mysterious Purple Passages - on the back sleeve.

I also remember bumping into the Charlesworth biography in a second hand book store. It blew me away to read the story in such detail and see all those pictures of the various line-ups on and off stage.



I agree that 24 Carat Purple was a great album, and also remember thinking that the pictures of the sleeves were cool. I also listened to Powerhouse a lot, and still rate Painted Horse and Cry Free very highly.

I also have the Charlesworth book, and it's great except the MkIV chapter which is too vitriolic and also full of inaccuracies, like that "this was the first time ever that non-original DP material was ever played live" (referring to "Going Down" - hello...) and that the Wembley shows were disasters (it's easy to prove that they weren't by the recordings, not least by the very enthusiastic audience reaction).

The photos are great throughout though!
14/6/2014, 2:16 Link to this post Send Email to heimdall   Send PM to heimdall
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info


Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


quote:

heimdall wrote:

quote:

Rezi wrote:

Very nice recollections, thanks guys!

EDIT: One of the great things about 24 Carat Purple (which has a strange track list - I much later realised it was based around Mk2 singles) was that it had most of the album sleeves - inc. the mysterious Purple Passages - on the back sleeve.

I also remember bumping into the Charlesworth biography in a second hand book store. It blew me away to read the story in such detail and see all those pictures of the various line-ups on and off stage.



I agree that 24 Carat Purple was a great album, and also remember thinking that the pictures of the sleeves were cool. I also listened to Powerhouse a lot, and still rate Painted Horse and Cry Free very highly.

I also have the Charlesworth book, and it's great except the MkIV chapter which is too vitriolic and also full of inaccuracies, like that "this was the first time ever that non-original DP material was ever played live" (referring to "Going Down" - hello...) and that the Wembley shows were disasters (it's easy to prove that they weren't by the recordings, not least by the very enthusiastic audience reaction).

The photos are great throughout though!



Yeah, when I saw the book on sale I couldn't believe it - it just floored me, to see all these pictures and to read all the stories. I remember reading it daily for couple of weeks: racing home from school to get a cup of hot choclade and just read the book again and again.
14/6/2014, 9:34 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
heimdall Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 373
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


quote:

Rezi wrote:
Yeah, when I saw the book on sale I couldn't believe it - it just floored me, to see all these pictures and to read all the stories. I remember reading it daily for couple of weeks: racing home from school to get a cup of hot choclade and just read the book again and again.



Ha ha, that sounds very familiar (even though I wasn't at school at the time)! I also remember making up fantasy set lists for MkIII and IV, because I had no idea what songs they played live besides what little I was able to hear on LIL, MIE, Foxbat and LCIJ. When the more complete sets came out later, it was very close to a religious experience :-D

(And sometime still is...)

Last edited by heimdall, 17/6/2014, 5:36
17/6/2014, 5:35 Link to this post Send Email to heimdall   Send PM to heimdall
 
Rezi Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info


Global user

Registered: 04-2004
Posts: 16629
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


quote:

heimdall wrote:

quote:

Rezi wrote:
Yeah, when I saw the book on sale I couldn't believe it - it just floored me, to see all these pictures and to read all the stories. I remember reading it daily for couple of weeks: racing home from school to get a cup of hot choclade and just read the book again and again.



Ha ha, that sounds very familiar (even though I wasn't at school at the time)! I also remember making up fantasy set lists for MkIII and IV, because I had no idea what songs they played live besides what little I was able to hear on LIL, MIE, Foxbat and LCIJ. When the more complete sets came out later, it was very close to a religious experience :-D

(And sometime still is...)



Absolutely!

I was blown away by LCIJ (especially Wild Dogs!), and much later, by MkIII Final Concerts. The latter sounded almost like a different band. Not because of the weaker sound than MIE, but all the stuff that was going on during the set. Not least Highway Star and that driving instrumental part with Blackmore's guitar howling in feedback.
17/6/2014, 6:14 Link to this post Send Email to Rezi   Send PM to Rezi
 
doggone Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 1874
Reply | Quote
Re: Live in Paris, 1975


The First DP album I bought was "Purple Passages". I had heard the song SOTW and knew the name of the band but not the name of the song(AM Radio hardly ever mentioned the names) so I bought the first DP album I saw. It didn't have SOTW but I was hooked!! It was the sound of the Hammond on Purple Passages that did it for me!!
17/6/2014, 14:42 Link to this post Send Email to doggone   Send PM to doggone
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6 





You are not logged in (login)