Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3 

 
Opportunistic FatCat Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Banned user
Global user

Registered: 03-2007
Posts: 58
Reply | Quote
Re: KAYBD vid with Satriani


quote:

MrEd45 wrote:

 A couple of points to be made here:

1) The script I refer to is the one you've been continually using for months now in order to further your 'Gillan Bashing' agenda. I'm curious as to what exactly it is you hope to [sign in to see URL] anyone had their opinion changed via your campaign? As always, I'm one of the first to defend one's right to express an opinion, but you've been stretching that right to the point where it's infringing on others' right not to have it thrust continually into their faces - particularly in topics where it's not the [sign in to see URL] rght in this topic, for instance.
 This thread/topic is about Satriani playing with Purple.
 Cease & desist with the thread/topic hijackings and start your own topic regarding your 'Gillan critique(s)' & respectfully confine your opinions to [sign in to see URL]'d be merely polite & respectful of your fellow forum members to do so.

2) As far as Satriani being a leader in the "'80's shred metal genre" - I think you have him confused with some fella named Malmsteen. emoticon But, to each their own preference - we can agree to disagree.

3) This 'history' being on your side reasoning behind criticizing something you refuse to [sign in to see URL] to be possibly a bit narrow and or close-minded on the [sign in to see URL] that I think there'd be any chance of you vieing the piece with any degree of objectivity [sign in to see URL] your logic here has a hole in it that an aircraft carrier could fit comfortably through. emoticon

4) I suggest a brush up course on word definitions, [sign in to see URL] continual use of absolute words such as 'everything', 'never', 'nothing' & their ilk displays an unreasonable or virtually closed state of mind - which one is entitled to have, no problem with that, it's one's right to be that way should one wish; it's when one is forcing that unreasoning, close-mindedness on others that it becomes a [sign in to see URL], do me & others here a favor - solve the problem yourself, as any reasonable, rational & generally acceptable solution you put into action on your own will almost undoubtedly be far more satisfactory to you than any solution that someone or anyone else has to implement.


 This is a forum to vent opinions. I really hope to accomplish nothing. I know that there is nothing that I say that will deter or detract from anything anyone else has to say. I only say what is on my mind concerning the topiuc at hand. They can only read and agree or disagree. I don't really care. I only offer my opinion without a care of what anyone else thinks. Most of the time I post on this forum and never return to see what anyone else has replied to. I have returned here, and I'm not sure why. You seem to have more vested in this than I do since you follow whatever everyone else has to say and must comment.
 As far as this turning into a Gillan critique, it is only because it is relevant to actually viewing the video at hand as well as a critique of the 80's shredding which is a paradigm of what is to be in the DP annals.
1/4/2007, 19:42 Link to this post Send Email to Opportunistic FatCat   Send PM to Opportunistic FatCat
 
stratbatblue Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 10-2005
Posts: 540
Reply | Quote
Re: KAYBD vid with Satriani


Satriani over Morse anyday,he does justice to the Purple music of [sign in to see URL] bad he did not stick [sign in to see URL] music with him would be very interesting, he has often said he was a student of [sign in to see URL] tone is almost as good as Blackmore.

---
Howay the Lads!
1/4/2007, 23:13 Link to this post Send Email to stratbatblue   Send PM to stratbatblue
 
Eirik Solum Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2004
Posts: 2477
Reply | Quote
Re: KAYBD vid with Satriani


quote:

stratbatblue wrote:

Satriani over Morse anyday,he does justice to the Purple music of [sign in to see URL] bad he did not stick [sign in to see URL] music with him would be very interesting, he has often said he was a student of [sign in to see URL] tone is almost as good as Blackmore.



I agree. His solo work does'nt interest me much, but he did some great work woth Purple. Nice tone, good feel and he blended in really well. I hope for a official live recording some day.. Too bad we'll never get to hear a studio album with him in the band.
2/4/2007, 8:45 Link to this post Send Email to Eirik Solum   Send PM to Eirik Solum
 
MrEd45 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Admin
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 9983
Reply | Quote
Re: KAYBD vid with Satriani


quote:

Opportunistic FatCat wrote:
 This is a forum to vent opinions.



 Interesting choice of words. For the record, it's not a forum tovent. It's a forum to respectfully, civilly, courteously & politely express & exchange thoughts, opinions, etc.,etc. If this is unacceptable to you, then I suggest starting your own Runboard (for one example) forum and you may vent there to your heart's content and operate that forum to any or no personal and/or community standards that you may o may not choose to set.
 
quote:


 I really hope to accomplish nothing.



 Fair enough - on the surface. The answer kinda begs the question - then why bother coming here to, and I quote, vent? If it's not in hopes of some sort of accomplishment for yourself, then what's it about? To simply try & put a damper on or potentially ruin something others may be enjoying?
 I'd suggest using your time on the internet to more productive endeavors, then & if that's not enough incentive for ya, then do it for the rest of the forum's community membership.
 
quote:


 I know that there is nothing that I say that will deter or detract from anything anyone else has to say. I only say what is on my mind concerning the topiuc at hand. They can only read and agree or disagree.


 
 Ah! Apparently the
mentality/mindset/attitude of a common graffiti artist or vandal (for example), whom can only see their side of their work, with no regard as to whether others wanted the work done or in their view or [sign in to see URL], some people don't appreciate unsolicited graffiti & perhaps you should take what others may or may not want into consideration.

quote:


I don't really care. I only offer my opinion without a care of what anyone else thinks. Most of the time I post on this forum and never return to see what anyone else has replied to.




 Again, fair enough - on the surface.
 But I feel I'd be a little remiss in not pointing out that this attitude fails to take into account that there are members here that do [sign in to see URL] attitude of not caring in regards to one's post content & generally perceived attitude/demeanor that one displays via the method of correspondence (the typed/written word)borders - to be honest with ya - on being sociopathological. In short, that's having the attitude "Whatever/whenever/wherever/whyever/however I want and to hell with how it affects anyone else." That's not my definition, that's according to people far more learned than I can probably ever aspire to [sign in to see URL] would respectfully & politely offer the suggestion that perhaps you should review and revise that attitude as this is not your nor anyone else's personal playground or soapbox - it's a community and there are some basics of community standards that are expected to be worked within & respected & if you find that unacceptable or not to your liking, than you're free to leave & never return at your leisure, as - bad news here, maybe - those aforementioned community standards are not going to relaxed or changed to personally suit you & if you find that unacceptable or not to your liking, then I'll reiterate the suggestion of you starting your own Runboard (for one example) forum and you may vent there to your heart's content and operate that forum to any or no standards that you may choose to set.
 
quote:


 I have returned here, and I'm not sure why.



 That makes two of us whom aren't sure why you've returned here. emoticon
 If you don't mind, I have a theory or two, but those theories probably aren't gonna put your previous statements regarding, and I quote, "I don't really care. I only offer my opinion without a care of what anyone else thinks" in the most 100% sincere of [sign in to see URL] theory is that you merely return to see if any havoc (for lack of a better word) has been wrought by what you've posted and/or to see if you've managed to upset ( and no, don't get the impression you upset me personally - yo don't. I've never given you that power & most likely never [sign in to see URL] will cocede that at times you may mildly irk me, but that's about it) even a minute of someone else's day as sometimes I get the impression that you're so miserable regarding the current state of Deep Purple and it's current line-up (which if that is, in fact, the case, I fail to understand how & why that would afect anyone to such a degree besides people directly involved with the band) that you simply can't tolerate that others just may be happy with it. In short, the old 'misery loves/craves companionship' mentality.

quote:


 You seem to have more vested in this than I do...


 
 Yup - by choice. Should I decide to rid myself of said vestment, I'm 100% completely, totally free to do so whenever & whyever I should choose to do so. Yes, I was vested with a some degree of responsibility for how this forum runs and it's a responsibility I take at least quasi-seriously as that seems only fair to the people whom chose to vest that responsibility to me.
 I was gonna reiterate about community standards/values & expectations again, but just return to the above for a quick brush-up. emoticon

quote:


...since you follow whatever everyone else has to say and must comment.



 A patently untrue statement/observation/representation, that is, however, completely in line with the absolutist way of expression you've consistently displayed & which also is an apparent manifestation of a sociopathological mentality/mindset/attitude. By the way, let me be clear about the use of the word 'sociopath' and it's various usages I've employed thus far and may employ again before I'm done replying. I'm by no means stating that you are, in fact, a sociopath. I'm saying that you're displaying sociopathological tendencies/behaviors, which isn't the same thing. Perhap you're doing it as some sort of act. If it's just an act, then kindly cease & desist with it as it's exceeded it's 'shelf life'. If it's not an act, then I'll make the friendly suggestion that you seek some sort of help for it.
 
quote:


 As far as this turning into a Gillan critique, it is only because it is relevant to actually viewing the video at hand...



 No, it's not. The topic is about Satriani, not Gillan. Once again, the sociopathological tendency to twist anything into whatever you want with no regard(s) to how it may affect anyone else is displayed.
 What's necesary here is a little thing called seperation. Most rational, logical, clear thinking, mature adults (and a helluva lot of children, too) are quite capable of employing this method - as I believe you are, but fr some reason choose not to. The rationale you're trying to employ seems to be merely useful as what you perceive to be justification to hijack whatever thread/topic you choose to hijack. So, here's another friendly suggestion - cease & desist with it or see my previous suggestion(s) regarding starting your own forum where you can control thread/topics and the direction(s) they may or may not take. Of course, digressions within topics are to be somewhat expected and tolerated, but it seems that you feel that every & any topic even peripherally involving Deep Purple w/Gillan in the band or not is some sort of open invitation for your 'Gillan critiques'. Well, they're not. It's as simple as that. If there's a topic about Gillan, of course that could & would be logically interpreted an implied invitation to post thoughts/opinions about him, with this to keep in mind -if it's a topic where people are praising/complimenting him, why do (or would) you feel the need to re-express your obvious dslike/disdain for him? Why not simply let the people whom choose to partake in the topic have their fun (for lack of a better word)? Speaking for myself, I've tried (and probably haven't always been successful, but I do make the effort) for the last few years to refrain from posting overly negative remarks/comments/thoughts/opinions in topics where they're apparently not going to serve any purpose besides possibly satisfying myself (at best) or ruining a topic for those whom wish to have their type of discussion (at worst).
 Regarding the 'Gillan critique', if you're incapable of pacticing the seperation method, then you should've refrained from any response at all to this topic; but that would've been a manifestation of showing respect & consideration for the topic starter and the forum community, something which has already been pointed out that you evidently have (at least) a small problem with.

quote:


...as well as a critique of the 80's shredding which is a paradigm of what is to be in the DP annals.



 Finally! Something relevant to the topic's obvious intent - Joe Satriani's guitar work while playing with Deep Purple. I had every confidence you'd get there eventually - thanks for not disappointing me. emoticon
 As I posted before, I disagree with this assessment. In my opinion, Satriani was & is far more than the typical '80s 'shredder'...like I suggested before, I think you may him confused or mistakenly lumped in with other notable 'shredders' of that era. emoticon

 **************IMPORTANT PS**************
 Please direct anyresponses to this post to me via pm or email so as to help avoid any further digressions in this topic.

Last edited by MrEd45, 2/4/2007, 17:13


---
" Those who can - do. Those who can't do - teach. Those who can't do or teach - administrate."
- Anon.

" One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
2/4/2007, 15:30 Link to this post Send Email to MrEd45   Send PM to MrEd45 Blog
 
RickWells Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 994
Reply | Quote
Re: KAYBD vid with Satriani


quote:

stratbatblue wrote:

Satriani over Morse anyday,he does justice to the Purple music of [sign in to see URL] bad he did not stick [sign in to see URL] music with him would be very interesting, he has often said he was a student of [sign in to see URL] tone is almost as good as Blackmore.




Thing is, and I think this has been mentioned many times in these types of conversations, is that while he stuck to the sound, and the style, during his short stay, that was quite likely because he knew was a short stint in the band. What we can never know is what direction he might have taken if he stayed. I am sure he would have injected more of his own sound and style had he stayed on long term. We can speculate what that might have been, but I would venture a guess that it would have changed form this over time.
2/4/2007, 15:39 Link to this post Send Email to RickWells   Send PM to RickWells
 
MrEd45 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Admin
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 9983
Reply | Quote
Re: KAYBD vid with Satriani


quote:

Eirik Solum wrote:
 His solo work does'nt interest me much, but he did some great work woth Purple. Nice tone, good feel and he blended in really well.



 I've enjoyed the majority of Satriani's solo work since the mid-to-late '80s, so maybe we'll just agree to disagree regarding his solo work, Erik, but I think we're probably close to 100% agreement regarding Satriani's work while with Purple.

quote:


 I hope for a official live recording some day.. Too bad we'll never get to hear a studio album with him in the band.



 I've been advocating & hoping for an official live release from Satriani's days with Purple for years now, Erik, and will continue to do so.
 Again, 100% total, complete agreement about hearing/having a studio album of Satriani as Purple's [sign in to see URL] let's never say never - as of this posting, Satriani nor Airey, Gillan, Glover, Lord or Paice are actually dead yet (and here's hoping none of them meet their demise anytime soon), so as far that's cooncerned, anything's possible...oooh, [sign in to see URL] think that last statement just may open up a messy can of worms regarding whether the musicians I just mentioned are, in fact, alive as musicians at this present time or [sign in to see URL] that happens, I pre-apologize for my role in it. emoticon
 Also, I'd like to apologize for my role in the rather sizable digression I chose to partake in within your topic here, Erik, and I'll try & limit my role in such digressions in the future.

Last edited by MrEd45, 2/4/2007, 15:43


---
" Those who can - do. Those who can't do - teach. Those who can't do or teach - administrate."
- Anon.

" One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
2/4/2007, 15:40 Link to this post Send Email to MrEd45   Send PM to MrEd45 Blog
 
mrsnip Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Mr. Black Hat
Global user

Registered: 11-2003
Posts: 3350
Reply | Quote
Re: KAYBD vid with Satriani


quote:

MrEd45 wrote:
I would respectfully & politely offer the suggestion that perhaps you should review and revise that attitude as this is not your nor anyone else's personal playground or soapbox - it's a community and there are some basics of community standards that are expected to be worked within & respected & if you find that unacceptable or not to your liking, than you're free to leave & never return at your leisure, as - bad news here, maybe - those aforementioned community standards are not going to relaxed or changed to personally suit you & if you find that unacceptable or not to your liking, then I'll reiterate the suggestion of you starting your own Runboard (for one example) forum and you may vent there to your heart's content and operate that forum to any or no standards that you may choose to set.
 



Hey, you need a new keyboard. There's only ONE ./period/full-stop in that quote!
2/4/2007, 17:09 Link to this post Send Email to mrsnip   Send PM to mrsnip
 
Happy Hammond Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 12-2005
Posts: 622
Reply | Quote
Re: KAYBD vid with Satriani


Back on the topic in question.... emoticon

I notice that a lot of people comment they prefer Satch's "tone" to that of SM.

Am I alone in thinking the opposite? Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan - I didn't think his last solo album was all that "widdly"- and a studio album with Purple would have been the icing on the cake but I find Steve's "tone" much mellower.

Dodgy YouTube clips will never do any sound justice but Satch seems to favour a rather "treble" sound during his stint in the band and I'm not sure I like it as much.

A combination of different guitars, pickups, amps, effects need to be taken into account so perhaps someone with a guitar tech hat on could explain the difference to an old piano player like me.

---
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia!
2/4/2007, 18:22 Link to this post Send Email to Happy Hammond   Send PM to Happy Hammond Blog
 
metaljim1 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 05-2006
Posts: 338
Reply | Quote
Re: KAYBD vid with Satriani


quote:

Happy Hammond wrote:

Back on the topic in question.... emoticon

I notice that a lot of people comment they prefer Satch's "tone" to that of SM.

Am I alone in thinking the opposite? Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan - I didn't think his last solo album was all that "widdly"- and a studio album with Purple would have been the icing on the cake but I find Steve's "tone" much mellower.

Dodgy YouTube clips will never do any sound justice but Satch seems to favour a rather "treble" sound during his stint in the band and I'm not sure I like it as much.

A combination of different guitars, pickups, amps, effects need to be taken into account so perhaps someone with a guitar tech hat on could explain the difference to an old piano player like me.



I am not a Satriani fan in as, I don't own any of his albums. My son has several, which he has played me, but that's beside the point. My preference for Satriani's work in Purple is based on the bootlegs I've heard and in comparing his playing to Morse's in a live context. I don't prefer Satriani's tone to Morse's, it's the actual playing I prefer. For whatever reason, Morse's solos all sound the same to me. I like a couple of them, but based on the concerts I've heard, Satriani played the classics more to my liking. I don't think Satriani's guitar sounds as over-processed as Morse's does, but it does sound shrill to my ears too. (However, Blackmore's tone was pretty crappy for most of the reunion too.) The "widdle" factor is not my complaint with Morse, it's the sameness of his soloing. I think some valid points have been made, as we'll probably never know where DP's music might have gone with Satriani instead of Morse. I just think Satriani is more of a "rock" guitarist than Morse and seems more suitable for a band like DP. Who knows, he might have been a nightmare as a full-time member of the band? We'll never know.
3/4/2007, 1:24 Link to this post Send Email to metaljim1   Send PM to metaljim1
 
Dartagnan Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2539
Reply | Quote
Re: KAYBD vid with Satriani


Satriani's tone, compared to Steve's, sounds less processed to me, too. It's far more pleasing on the ear, and regarding the 'treble sound' - well, I always thought Ritchie had a 'treble sound'! Far 'thinner' than the majority of his peers, IMHO, and a cleaner, clearer tone. Blackmore's sound has always been my favourite of all '70s rock players.

---
"I play the way I do because it allows me to come up with the sickest sounds possible. That's the point now isn't it?"
Jeff Beck
3/4/2007, 8:13 Link to this post Send Email to Dartagnan   Send PM to Dartagnan
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3 





You are not logged in (login)