Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo






runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2 

 
PoshOldSlapper Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 07-2004
Posts: 1222
Reply | Quote
Re: Axe through RG's door anyone?


quote:

englishbrain wrote:

....Surely this was just a phase - a morbid facination that was played out.

They're all a lot older and wiser now so I don't see the need for Morse to be such a stabalising force that you say he is ....



Yup, can see what you're getting at.

However, I feel it was a phase that has had a very deep and long lasting impact. It did them a lot of damage, because of the states they managed to get themselves into at the time.


I think SM's impact was most important around 1995. I think his "just being around" helped out in getting some individuals into a slightly more wiser phase of being older.

However, judging by last year's notorious drink-related event, I have to wonder.

[IG's drink-driving ban]
[BTW:When is that up? ]
[Did he do the course to get the ban down to 12 rather than 16 months?]


There are at least 2 sides to every story.
Are they dependent upon him? Someone might argue why should "such a nice guy" sacrifice himself to preserve the lifestyle of a bunch of older alcoholic has-beens.

[I was going to use the phrase "old soaks", but was not sure of how that would read for anyone unfamiliar with English slang terms for "older alcoholics"]

My guess is he is aware of the hold he has on them. But I doubt if there is anything nasty going on. If he brings out the better side in people then he has a talent, and deserves any good stuff that goes his way.


POS
emoticon









19/5/2005, 20:20 Link to this post Send PM to PoshOldSlapper
 
englishbrain Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 05-2005
Posts: 67
Reply | Quote
Re: Axe through RG's door anyone?


POS Wrote:
'Are they dependent upon him? Someone might argue why should "such a nice guy" sacrifice himself to preserve the lifestyle of a bunch of older alcoholic has-beens'.

I'm sorry POS but I think that's over the top. I respect the remaining band just like I respect Steve Morse and I think you do him a diservice to think he makes any sacrifices by being part of the band now. I think all current members are excellent musicians and still have a musical contribution to make in the world. OK they (management mainly) let us all down in 73 when the band broke up, but start treating the current members as grown ups please.
 emoticon emoticon
---
These are my principles. If you don’t like them I have others.
 

Last edited by englishbrain, 19/5/2005, 22:56
19/5/2005, 22:54 Link to this post Send Email to englishbrain   Send PM to englishbrain
 
Milan Fahrnholz Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 17842
Reply | Quote
Re: Axe through RG's door anyone?


Did anyone else think that the title of this topic reads like a suggestion?
19/5/2005, 23:21 Link to this post  
 
MrEd45 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Admin

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 9983
Reply | Quote
Re: Axe through RG's door anyone?


quote:

Milan Fahrnholz wrote:

Did anyone else think that the title of this topic reads like a suggestion?





 Maybe like a general suggestion or perhaps some obscure bit of English country cuisine? emoticon

---
" Those who can - do. Those who can't do - teach. Those who can't do or teach - administrate."
- Anon.

" One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
19/5/2005, 23:32 Link to this post Send Email to MrEd45   Send PM to MrEd45 Blog
 
Milan Fahrnholz Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 17842
Reply | Quote
Re: Axe through RG's door anyone?


Axe through Roger´s door on ice or with ham´n´eggs? Salad of choice...
19/5/2005, 23:38 Link to this post  
 
Buffy1982 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 04-2005
Posts: 89
Reply | Quote
Re: Axe through RG's door anyone?


POS I was sure you were a bloke, but I think I should have known you were a woman (too much introspection for a man!). “The Great Purple Tragedy” sounds like the title of a novel (maybe you should write it) or even a movie. I’m not sure what you’re hinting at when you talk about unrequited love and broken hearts but I’ve always had the sensation there’s much more to the band’s history than what we’ve been told.
As for astral signs well I generally don’t believe in astrology but if I’ve ever seen a Leo with all the alleged traits of the sign (even physical features) that’s Ian Gillan.
20/5/2005, 9:37 Link to this post Send Email to Buffy1982   Send PM to Buffy1982
 
PoshOldSlapper Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 07-2004
Posts: 1222
Reply | Quote
Re: Axe through RG's door anyone?


quote:

englishbrain wrote:

POS Wrote:
'Are they dependent upon him? Someone might argue why should "such a nice guy" sacrifice himself to preserve the lifestyle of a bunch of older alcoholic has-beens'.

I'm sorry POS but I think that's over the top.....



Oh please don't take that comment too much to heart! I just used the idea of "someone" expressing a VERY extreme opinion, because it is definitely NOT mine.

What I was getting at was his ability to fit in could be seen by others<-- NOT ME emoticon as them exploiting his good nature.

I actually finished with:

"But I doubt if there is anything nasty going on. If he brings out the better side in people then he has a talent, and deserves any good stuff that goes his way. "

I am probably as close to your view as about anyone else on here, actually.

What else did you say?
plus, my agreement rating?

a) I respect the remaining band
100%

b) ...like I respect Steve Morse
100%

c) I think all current members are excellent musicians
100%

d) and still have a musical contribution to make in the world.
100%

e) but start treating the current members as grown ups please.
100%
I always do. They're big enough and mean enough to look after themselves by now, I'm sure!

Sorry if my extreme form of expression got in the way of the point I was trying to make.

Friends again?

LOL

POS
emoticon
20/5/2005, 12:21 Link to this post Send PM to PoshOldSlapper
 
PoshOldSlapper Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 07-2004
Posts: 1222
Reply | Quote
Re: Axe through RG's door anyone?


quote:

Buffy1982 wrote:

a) I was sure you were a bloke, but I think I should have known you were a woman (too much introspection for a man!).

b) “The Great Purple Tragedy” sounds like the title of a novel (maybe you should write it) or even a movie.

c) I’m not sure what you’re hinting at when you talk about unrequited love and broken hearts but I’ve always had the sensation there’s much more to the band’s history than what we’ve been told.

d) As for astral signs well I generally don’t believe in astrology but if I’ve ever seen a Leo with all the alleged traits of the sign (even physical features) that’s Ian Gillan.



a) I was sure you were a bloke, but I think I should have known you were a woman (too much introspection for a man!).

Not telling!

b) “The Great Purple Tragedy” sounds like the title of a novel (maybe you should write it) or even a movie.

Although I call it a Tragedy, and sometimes feel like getting my lyre out and composing a great Epic, it is probably best approached as the pure comedy or farce most people probably see it as.

In which case I would like to point you in the direction of the work of a certain bard, a D. Meadows esq, whose efforts in this direction are unlikely EVER to be surpassed.

http://www.heroes.force9.co.uk/dps/


c) I’m not sure what you’re hinting at when you talk about unrequited love and broken hearts but I’ve always had the sensation there’s much more to the band’s history than what we’ve been told.

Think room mates, great on-stage relationship, and then it all goes BADLY wrong - for whatever reason, and we'll never know for certain why ....

And songs get written......

You don't think that strength of feeling would be possible between two men <- and that is NOT making any statements about their sexual orientation etc etc etc.....


d) As for astral signs well I generally don’t believe in astrology but if I’ve ever seen a Leo with all the alleged traits of the sign (even physical features) that’s Ian Gillan.

IG could almost be the textbook version.

Which is why it makes Steven Morse even more unusual?!!!

LOL
POS
emoticon



20/5/2005, 14:05 Link to this post Send PM to PoshOldSlapper
 
Buffy1982 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 04-2005
Posts: 89
Reply | Quote
Re: Axe through RG's door anyone?


Thank you for the link! emoticon
I've been pissing myself for half an hour!
20/5/2005, 16:35 Link to this post Send Email to Buffy1982   Send PM to Buffy1982
 
PoshOldSlapper Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan

Registered: 07-2004
Posts: 1222
Reply | Quote
Re: Axe through RG's door anyone?


quote:

Buffy1982 wrote:

Thank you for the link! emoticon
I've been pissing myself for half an hour!



Glad you like. It is widely regarded as one of the great classics of our time.

I found it hilarious and still do!

That man, Mr Meadows, certainly has talent.


POS
emoticon



Last edited by PoshOldSlapper, 20/5/2005, 16:39
20/5/2005, 16:37 Link to this post Send PM to PoshOldSlapper
 


Reply

Page:  1  2 





You are not logged in (login)