Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

 
benjy9 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 05-2006
Posts: 279
Reply | Quote
Nobody's Perfect - why so many haters????


I listened to this album the other day (first time in ages), I have to say, I really like it! A lot of people seem to think it's a complete turkey, and I honestly can't fathom out why. I have, in another topic here, criticised Rithie's 1980's DP playing, but this album is by no means the worst I've heard. For what it's worth, here's what I think of the album (may spark disagreement):

Highway Star - not brilliant (esp. from RB), but Lord and Paice are magic.
Strange Kind Of woman - Love it! Ritchie's 2nd solo (before the jam) is superb, and I love RB & IG's "goofing about".
Perfect Strangers - THE definitive version!!
Hard Lovin' Woman - High-octane rocker, plenty of energy in this one.
Bad Attitude - JL is always the star on this one, great organ sound.
Knocking At Your Back Door - The intro is probably my fav. part of the whole album, great version of this song!
Child In Time - For me, the first low point of the album, Gillan not on form, uninspired solo from Ritchie. Not good.
Lazy - Way too fast, but that was par for the course then.
Space Truckin' - Another low point, but then, DP never played this one as well as they did in the 70's.
Black Night - Fairly average version but good stuff from Lord again.
Woman From Tokyo - Only half of the song played, running into a Buddy Holly rep, throwaway stuff, and probably shouldn't have found its way on the album.
Smoke On the Water - By no means the worst I've heard.
Hush ('88) - RB's solo is terrible on this, the song is re-jigged - stick with DP's original!!!!

Anyway, that's my own opinion on the 2LPs, I'm curious to hear other critisicms......
4/3/2007, 19:58 Link to this post Send Email to benjy9   Send PM to benjy9
 
Blackmore on Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 05-2004
Posts: 793
Reply | Quote
Re: Nobody's Perfect - why so many haters????


I think you're spot on here.. agree with most of what you say.
4/3/2007, 20:10 Link to this post Send Email to Blackmore on   Send PM to Blackmore on
 
lightintheblack0 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 5750
Reply | Quote
Re: Nobody's Perfect - why so many haters????


I think the biggest problem this album faced was the fact that it would instantly be compared to MIJ(surely the greatest live rock album of all time)as this was the first live release of the MK2 reunion, and of course NP is very poor in comparison though it does have its moments many of which you have [sign in to see URL] be honest my initial feelings on the album were ones of dissapointment mainly due to the performances of Gillan(very poor) and Blackmore(sounds like a poor imitation of the real RB).I have however went back to the album now and again and have found more and more good points mainly JLs performances and of course the fact that Paicey was still giving his all at this time.
4/3/2007, 20:39 Link to this post Send Email to lightintheblack0   Send PM to lightintheblack0 Blog
 
Ormandy Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 12-2003
Posts: 1541
Reply | Quote
Re: Nobody's Perfect - why so many haters????


I've always enjoyed NP, but I think a nice MKII "reunion era" live album (1984-1993) would be better and should be released soon.

Last edited by Ormandy, 4/3/2007, 22:08
4/3/2007, 22:08 Link to this post Send Email to Ormandy   Send PM to Ormandy
 
MrsSnap Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2427
Reply | Quote
Re: Nobody's Perfect - why so many haters????


Why is everybody who doesn't like the album automatically a hater?
Between hating and not liking is a big difference!
5/3/2007, 11:48 Link to this post Send Email to MrsSnap   Send PM to MrsSnap
 
benjy9 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 05-2006
Posts: 279
Reply | Quote
Re: Nobody's Perfect - why so many haters????


quote:

MrsSnap wrote:

Why is everybody who doesn't like the album automatically a hater?
Between hating and not liking is a big difference!





My apologies for not being grammatically correct in the title of this post.

Do you actually have an opinion on the album MrsSnap?
5/3/2007, 13:28 Link to this post Send Email to benjy9   Send PM to benjy9
 
Al Erikson Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2006
Posts: 3393
Reply | Quote
Re: Nobody's Perfect - why so many haters????


I think you're right in using the word "haters" when it comes to NP, because this album more than all other Purple live albums has been slain by the critics, by some fans and by the band members themselves.

Now, there are plenty of good moments on it, even though it is true that the production and the selection of the tracks is quite poor... But I like most of the live version of the HoBL tracks as well as the intro of Space Truckin' and "KaYBD"!

Last edited by Al Erikson, 5/3/2007, 13:41


---
"Booze kills.
But how many people are born because of it?"
5/3/2007, 13:41 Link to this post Send Email to Al Erikson   Send PM to Al Erikson
 
Fireball01 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2006
Posts: 24
Reply | Quote
Re: Nobody's Perfect - why so many haters????


quote:

Al Erikson wrote:

I think you're right in using the word "haters" when it comes to NP, because this album more than all other Purple live albums has been slain by the critics, by some fans and by the band members themselves.

Now, there are plenty of good moments on it, even though it is true that the production and the selection of the tracks is quite poor... But I like most of the live version of the HoBL tracks as well as the intro of Space Truckin' and "KaYBD"!



When you mentioned the Production are you on about the quality of the tracks how they are composed or do you mean the performance in sound ya know the ones who have engineered it?



---
http://myspace.com/ghostoftyranny
hello uncle sam!:)
5/3/2007, 13:43 Link to this post Send Email to Fireball01   Send PM to Fireball01
 
Al Erikson Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2006
Posts: 3393
Reply | Quote
Re: Nobody's Perfect - why so many haters????


quote:

Fireball01 wrote:

quote:

Al Erikson wrote:

I think you're right in using the word "haters" when it comes to NP, because this album more than all other Purple live albums has been slain by the critics, by some fans and by the band members themselves.

Now, there are plenty of good moments on it, even though it is true that the production and the selection of the tracks is quite poor... But I like most of the live version of the HoBL tracks as well as the intro of Space Truckin' and "KaYBD"!



When you mentioned the Production are you on about the quality of the tracks how they are composed or do you mean the performance in sound ya know the ones who have engineered it?




No. I meant the way the tracks are cut for instance (Woman from Tokyo is quite frustrating). I have nothing against the sound itself.


---
"Booze kills.
But how many people are born because of it?"
5/3/2007, 13:45 Link to this post Send Email to Al Erikson   Send PM to Al Erikson
 
Fireball01 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2006
Posts: 24
Reply | Quote
Re: Nobody's Perfect - why so many haters????


quote:

Al Erikson wrote:

No. I meant the way the tracks are cut for instance (Woman from Tokyo is quite frustrating). I have nothing against the sound itself.




Your a big Hammond organ fan so thats great!
 emoticon emoticon

---
http://myspace.com/ghostoftyranny
hello uncle sam!:)
5/3/2007, 13:54 Link to this post Send Email to Fireball01   Send PM to Fireball01
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6 





You are not logged in (login)