Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2 

 
Apostate Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 05-2005
Posts: 1843
Reply | Quote
Black Sabbath Seventh Star


This is what Rainbow would have sounded like with Tony Iommi on guitar and Glenn Hughes on vocals. Which is: pretty damn great!
It's amzing how brainwashed people are when it comes to classifying things, but music in particular. People think Ozzy Osbourne when Black Sabbath is mentioned, and dismiss everything else. Seventh Star is mostly NOT a Black Sabbath album, but as a whole it beats the hell out of Technical Ecstasy as well as all the Tony Martin-era Sabbath material. As good as both Dehumanizer and Born Again were as albums, I'd assert that Seventh Star is easily equal (if not better) than either of them. And I'd rate Seventh Star with Volume Four and Never Say Die, easily.
 It's hard for me to stack SS with stuff like Mob Rules, Sabotage, the self titled BS, or Master of Reality, but those albums are some of the best EVER in my humble opinion.
I'd also have to assert that songs like Seventh Star and Angry Heart are very much like prime Dio-era Rainbow songs , whilst Danger Zone sounds (oddly enough) like the best of early '80's Michael Schenker Group. The closing track, In Memory is undeniably moving as well.
I reccomend this album highly. Cleanse your preconceptions and FEEL this album for what it is: Classic Rock done with a magnificent amount of feeling and obvious devotion.

Last edited by Apostate, 18/4/2006, 17:29


---
"Evil mind, lookin' down, without seeing at all."
18/4/2006, 15:13 Link to this post Send Email to Apostate   Send PM to Apostate
 
Rahul Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 6180
Reply | Quote
Re: Black Sabbath Seventh Star


Totally agree mate. One of my favourite Glenn Hughes records. I possibly prefer it slightly more than Born Again, and better than any of the Dio stuff, save for Heaven & Hell.

Glenn sounds fabulous on it. The tour may be the stuff of concert folklore, but the album is rocking!

Glenn was performing Seventh Star on his last UK tour, and it was utterly fabulous. Great track.

However, there are still some Sabbath fans who don't know of its existence. A shame, because it's the last great album they did, in my opinion, regardless of whether it was supposed to be an Iommi solo record or not! emoticon

---
It begins with a blessing
And it ends with a curse;
Making life easy,
By making it worse;

19/4/2006, 21:13 Link to this post Send Email to Rahul   Send PM to Rahul
 
Apostate Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 05-2005
Posts: 1843
Reply | Quote
Re: Black Sabbath Seventh Star


quote:

Rahul wrote:

Totally agree mate. One of my favourite Glenn Hughes records. I possibly prefer it slightly more than Born Again, and better than any of the Dio stuff, save for Heaven & Hell.

Glenn sounds fabulous on it. The tour may be the stuff of concert folklore, but the album is rocking!

Glenn was performing Seventh Star on his last UK tour, and it was utterly fabulous. Great track.

However, there are still some Sabbath fans who don't know of its existence. A shame, because it's the last great album they did, in my opinion, regardless of whether it was supposed to be an Iommi solo record or not! emoticon



Even worse, Rahul, is the fact that one HAS to buy Seventh Star on import here in the U.S. (same with Stormbringer) or else never see it at all.

I rate Seventh Star as my favorite Glenn Hughes "by himself" album. I must also commend Tony for having written the entirety to the album. I think that Seventh Star is the one album I reccomend to my guitar students whom ask as to the best Tony Iommi album for actual guitar leads. Live Evil comes a close second however. Just check out the solo to Heart Like A Wheel off of Seventh Star!



---
"Evil mind, lookin' down, without seeing at all."
19/4/2006, 22:54 Link to this post Send Email to Apostate   Send PM to Apostate
 
BoulderBolinUSA Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 10-2005
Posts: 319
Reply | Quote
Re: Black Sabbath Seventh Star


Despite my reputation for dissension,both of you are right on the money regarding 7th [sign in to see URL] one of my fav Glenn and Tony performances,as well as some of the best solos Iommi has laid down since the early '70's Sab Lp's.A truely overlooked [sign in to see URL]
24/4/2006, 22:57 Link to this post Send Email to BoulderBolinUSA   Send PM to BoulderBolinUSA
 
Apostate Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 05-2005
Posts: 1843
Reply | Quote
Re: Black Sabbath Seventh Star


If it had been released as Tony's solo project, I think it would have been appreciated and remembered much more.
I love '70's Sabbath, but for me Tony's best leads (until the Ronnie/Ian/Glenn years) were on the first album. "Warning" first inspired me to want to play guitar. And you're right, Seventh Star has some of the all time best Tony-playing.

---
"Evil mind, lookin' down, without seeing at all."
25/4/2006, 15:57 Link to this post Send Email to Apostate   Send PM to Apostate
 
Beese Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info


Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2365
Reply | Quote
Re: Black Sabbath Seventh Star


quote:

Apostate wrote:
I rate Seventh Star as my favorite Glenn Hughes "by himself" album. I must also commend Tony for having written the entirety to the album.



Actually I think Glenn did at least write the lyrics to the songs. In much the same way as Burn Glenn couldn't be credited for contractual reasons.

On all of Glenn's releases featuring one of the SS songs the credit reads Iommi/ Hughes. Plus Tony always says that he never writes lyrics as he's awful at it. I imagine it's the same case with Eternal Idol.

SS is my absolute fav Sabbath album, out of all the eras. I love Glenn to bits and his performance on the album is just amazing. It's such a shame the tour fell apart.

I'd so like to see a Iommi/Hughes tour. Oh well, hopefully after the next album (which they had better make!).
8/5/2006, 2:27 Link to this post Send Email to Beese   Send PM to Beese
 
Apostate Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 05-2005
Posts: 1843
Reply | Quote
Re: Black Sabbath Seventh Star


quote:

Beese wrote:

quote:

Apostate wrote:
I rate Seventh Star as my favorite Glenn Hughes "by himself" album. I must also commend Tony for having written the entirety to the album.



Actually I think Glenn did at least write the lyrics to the songs. In much the same way as Burn Glenn couldn't be credited for contractual reasons.

On all of Glenn's releases featuring one of the SS songs the credit reads Iommi/ Hughes. Plus Tony always says that he never writes lyrics as he's awful at it. I imagine it's the same case with Eternal Idol.

SS is my absolute fav Sabbath album, out of all the eras. I love Glenn to bits and his performance on the album is just amazing. It's such a shame the tour fell apart.

I'd so like to see a Iommi/Hughes tour. Oh well, hopefully after the next album (which they had better make!).




I too have always ben floored by the awe-inspiring vocal work of Glenn on this album. I really think it's his best (that's coming from someone whom adores Burn and Stormbringer).

However, I may be a bit premature on that assessment, as I haven't heard the Glenn solo stuff yet (worried about da Funk).


---
"Evil mind, lookin' down, without seeing at all."
9/5/2006, 12:02 Link to this post Send Email to Apostate   Send PM to Apostate
 
Rahul Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 6180
Reply | Quote
Re: Black Sabbath Seventh Star


quote:

Apostate wrote:

However, I may be a bit premature on that assessment, as I haven't heard the Glenn solo stuff yet (worried about da Funk).



Check out Addiction, from 1996. Arguably Glenn's heaviest and darkest vocals to date. No funk whatsoever.

Glenn has done some wonderful records over the years. Definitely worth checking out. They rock. The funk influences are not always as severe as they were on his Feel and Play Me Out albums.

Songs in the Key of Rock, Building The Machine, and Soul Mover are all excellent albums worthy of our attention! emoticon

---
It begins with a blessing
And it ends with a curse;
Making life easy,
By making it worse;

9/5/2006, 19:18 Link to this post Send Email to Rahul   Send PM to Rahul
 
Beese Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info


Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2365
Reply | Quote
Re: Black Sabbath Seventh Star


Agreed he has for the most part hard a funky influence, but it doesn't really govern his music. Sometimes you can hear it more than others.

Play Me Out is quite a funky/ mowtown sounding album. Feel has it's funky moments, but it explores other avenues. The Way It Is and Return Of Crystal Karma are probably the only other albums with a large amount of funk.

Definitely check out Addiction, Building The Machine, Voodoo Hill, Songs In The Key Of Rock, Wild Seed Of Mother Earth, Soul Mover, Fused, Dep Sessions for a more rocky side.
10/5/2006, 0:51 Link to this post Send Email to Beese   Send PM to Beese
 
Trollprincess Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Swiss Cheese Grater
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 11270
Reply | Quote
Re: Black Sabbath Seventh Star


The "Dep Sessions" are definately worth being listened.

---
The income tax of Malaysia is no higher than 15%.
10/5/2006, 19:09 Link to this post Send Email to Trollprincess   Send PM to Trollprincess
 


Reply

Page:  1  2 





You are not logged in (login)