Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3  4  5 

 
leelyt Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 04-2017
Posts: 359
Reply | Quote
Re:


Sorry, misread the post. I would have played Spanish Archer, Dead or Alive, Bad Attitude, Call of the Wild and Starngeways from HOBL. I would also have kept more than two songs from PS. Then as I said, bring in stuff like POH, Fools, and maybe Never Before and keep in stuff that IG could sing well like Lazy, SOTW and BN.
7/9/2017, 17:16 Link to this post Send Email to leelyt   Send PM to leelyt Blog
 
JSA1 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 747
Reply | Quote
Re: Re:


quote:

Witchy Nightmare wrote:

Why "exactly"? Did you really understand my post? I asked with which songs they should have replaced the classics. For me, there were no suitable songs in 1987 to do that. I agree that basically it's a good idea to drop the old songs some years after the reunion, but to do that you need new songs good enough to replace the classics - and for me, the HOBL songs weren't.



I think that HOBL rocked better than PS. More DP sounding and tunes that were faster and better. The Blackers/Lord trade-offs were there where they weren't on PS. 'Mad Dog', 'DOA'. 'Unwritten Law' and 'Bad Attitude' would have been great additions. I know that they played those now and then, but they could have replaced some of the classics. 'SKOW' sould have been dropped. The guitar/vocal duel basically sucked. The sing-along 'Black Night' always paled in comparison to the MKIIa versions and should have gone. 'CIT' goes without saying. Gillan just couldn't do it justice anymore. 'HS', 'ST', 'Smoke' and the encore 'Speed King' could stay and the rest a mix of both PS and HOBL. They could toss 'Lazy' in there in place of 'ST' now and then.

Either way, plenty of good tunes to play from HOBL.
7/9/2017, 17:32 Link to this post Send Email to JSA1   Send PM to JSA1
 
zen2 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 08-2008
Posts: 405
Reply | Quote
Re: I saw DP in Mansfield, Mass on Sunday


ptr wrote:

quote:

Black Sabbath´s 13 is one of the most boring second rate "let´s recreate our old style" type of records I´ve ever heard.



Agreed.
7/9/2017, 23:16 Link to this post Send Email to zen2   Send PM to zen2
 
Concrete god Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 1893
Reply | Quote
Re: I saw DP in Mansfield, Mass on Sunday


quote:

zen2 wrote:

ptr wrote:

quote:

Black Sabbath´s 13 is one of the most boring second rate "let´s recreate our old style" type of records I´ve ever heard.



Agreed.




Agreed II
10/9/2017, 9:38 Link to this post Send Email to Concrete god   Send PM to Concrete god Blog
 
Concrete god Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 1893
Reply | Quote
Re: Re:


quote:

leelyt wrote:

Sorry, misread the post. I would have played Spanish Archer, Dead or Alive, Bad Attitude, Call of the Wild and Starngeways from HOBL. I would also have kept more than two songs from PS. Then as I said, bring in stuff like POH, Fools, and maybe Never Before and keep in stuff that IG could sing well like Lazy, SOTW and BN.




Totally agree!
10/9/2017, 9:39 Link to this post Send Email to Concrete god   Send PM to Concrete god Blog
 
JohninNJ4you Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 10-2003
Posts: 2129
Reply | Quote
Re:


I think the problem is that DP should not have been the headliner on the North American tour this time, despite that it is their farewell tour. DP simply could not complete with Alice Cooper's level of theatrics and his heavier younger band who are quite good.

Purple were good in Camden NJ when I saw them, but it was a bad idea to have them headline. It's like the difference between Purple and ELP at the California Jam many years ago ... DP didn't close the show, but you knew they were the headliners ...

It's the same situation with Alice Cooper and DP ... Alice Cooper didn't close the show, but they were definitely the headliners ... plus the majority of the audience in America just isn't as familiar with DP as the rest of the world.


Purple should have been second on the bill on this tour.
13/9/2017, 13:33 Link to this post Send Email to JohninNJ4you   Send PM to JohninNJ4you
 
Concrete god Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 1893
Reply | Quote
Re: Re:


quote:

JohninNJ4you wrote:

I think the problem is that DP should not have been the headliner on the North American tour this time, despite that it is their farewell tour. DP simply could not complete with Alice Cooper's level of theatrics and his heavier younger band who are quite good.

Purple were good in Camden NJ when I saw them, but it was a bad idea to have them headline. It's like the difference between Purple and ELP at the California Jam many years ago ... DP didn't close the show, but you knew they were the headliners ...

It's the same situation with Alice Cooper and DP ... Alice Cooper didn't close the show, but they were definitely the headliners ... plus the majority of the audience in America just isn't as familiar with DP as the rest of the world.


Purple should have been second on the bill on this tour.




Disagree totally. The videos I've seen on YT shows clearly that Purple goes down well.
The crowd at most places seems happy enough and what I've seen of Alice Cooper just confirm what I thought of him before.. silly..
Maybe a few places where they don't have the same enthusiasm, like Atlanta.
But have they ever been hot in the deep south..?
13/9/2017, 16:46 Link to this post Send Email to Concrete god   Send PM to Concrete god Blog
 
ptr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2931
Reply | Quote
Re:


I dont want DP to be "theaterical" band.... thank god they arent. They are about their music and virtuosity, not about theaterical stuff - they arent Kiss. emoticon
14/9/2017, 17:01 Link to this post Send Email to ptr   Send PM to ptr
 
Randys Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2933
Reply | Quote
Re: I saw DP in Mansfield, Mass on Sunday


quote:

ptr wrote:

quote:

RickWells wrote:

Here is the problem. While I own, and listen, to the new DP albums, and they are decent, when you put it in a set list with the far stronger original material, it pales by comparision. It is far more mid-rempo, not uptempo like the other material. It is not as heavy, not as hard. It brings the set down. If the material rocked as hard as what preceeded it, it would not have that effect.

On its own, it is fine. But it just didn't hold up on the mix.




But that new material should NOT be as heavy or as hard as the old one. That´s the point - Deep Purple changed a bit, they are not band with that In Rock type of sound anymore - which is good thing actually! Black Sabbath´s 13 perfectly showed why, it´s one of the most boring second rate "let´s recreate our old style" type of records I´ve ever heard.



If I'm in a band, I'll pick "13" the album that we release.
Not a very good album, but hitting the Top of the Charts in both sides of the Atlantic and selling more copies. But thats just me and my band. emoticon
15/9/2017, 2:15 Link to this post Send Email to Randys   Send PM to Randys
 
Randys Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 2933
Reply | Quote
Re: I saw DP in Mansfield, Mass on Sunday


quote:

doggone wrote:

As for Deep Purple's last album(CD), here in the part of the U.S. where I live, I've only seen one copy in a Best Buy store(which I bought because it had the DVD). I've not seen a copy in any other store, not even WalMart.



......or my imaginary band could release a good album and this would happen, then again we'll choose to have release something like "13". But again this is just me. emoticon
15/9/2017, 2:18 Link to this post Send Email to Randys   Send PM to Randys
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5 





You are not logged in (login)