Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Community logo


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3 ... 7  8  9  10  11  12 

 
ptr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 3079
Reply | Quote
Re: A matter of time ...


quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

Friedhelm wrote:

quote:

Nicely patronising post ptr well done 👍
Ritchie and Jons instrumental madness ??? Most would describe it as instrumental genius don't you think ? And for the majority of dp fans then that aforementioned genius was indeed core to deep purple .Also as I said in a previous post you are not a fan of the deep purple which the rest of the planet recognise as deep purple and indeed classic hard rock as we know it ,you are a fan off morse era deep purple. Which is great for you as you clearly enjoy them but much as you try to promote them they will never be recognised as being the influential genre defining deep purple


The problem is, you dare to say, you speak for the majority of dp fans. You even say the rest of the planet shares your opinion. And that's not true. Would be nice if you changed majority of dp fans and planet with me ...



aww cmon for goodness sake man are you honestly trying to say that most of the DP fan base and the rock world as a whole don't associate DPs status with Blackers and Lords instrumental genius ?In the 40 plus years i have followed this band and read article after article about them,I haven't heard any major rock stars cite DP without mentioning Blackmore and Lord as huge influences and i most certainly haven't heard ANYONE cite Morse era DP as [sign in to see URL] you?



Actually I think otherwise. You use way too strong personification IMO. I think that most people are fans of Deep Purple because.... of their music and not because of who is and who isnt band member. So I actually think that people are Deep Purple fans because of music contained on albums like Deep Purple In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Made In Japan, Burn, Perfect Strangers, Purpendicular... etc etc. I even know people who became fans of this band because of Slaves&Masters! Of course that Ritchie and Jon are often cited as major influence - because they were there at the start of something..... and I´m talking about whole genre! Steve wasnt - he was just a 15 years old talented kid at that time. emoticon I´m gonna repeat it once again - being influental is NOT the goal of band with 20+ or 30+ years long career, so your argument that noone cite Morse´s era as influental is actually irelevant - it says absolutely NOTHING about quality of their music and performances - it´s coming from fact that 90s were not early 70s! It´s like saying that current cars made by some exclusive traditional automobile company (which started in 1920s) are crap, because they do not "inspire" others to create cars (start the business) too, like their cars from 1920s did. Do you think that cars made in 2010s are crap compared to those from 1920s? It´s nonsence! emoticon It´s just different era, and it´s exactly the same in music industry.

I have always seen Deep Purple as bunch of superb players and musicians... no matter whether it was Ritchie / Tommy (his playing is stunning on CTTB and it´s just sad that his live performance were so often influenced by his addiction) / Joe or Steve. All of them are guitar wizards! Same goes for Jon / Don. It´s NOT contest Ritchie vs. Steve or others or Jon vs. Don, it´s actually more like... "cooperation" - and all of them brought something unique and great for the band, because all of them are different players. But one thing is same for all of them - all are stunning musicians. emoticon Deep Purple has always been band of great instrumentalists - and still is!
2/3/2016, 8:55 Link to this post Send Email to ptr   Send PM to ptr
 
niji Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 1120
Reply | Quote
Re: A matter of time ...


I'm with you here ptr.
Most fans are casual fans and they don't know who was in the band at a particular time and probably couldn't care less either.
They are fans because they like some songs or albums or they went to see them live at one point.
It's easy to lose perspective when you visit a forum like this because the people who post are not usually "casual fans".
but as a whole we are in minority and not representative at all.

Of course some musicians will mention Blackmore and Lord as influences. but it's also for stuff they did 40-45 years ago.
Not their more current material.



2/3/2016, 10:19 Link to this post Send Email to niji   Send PM to niji
 
lightintheblack0 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 07-2006
Posts: 5943
Reply | Quote
Re: A matter of time ...


quote:

niji wrote:

I'm with you here ptr.
Most fans are casual fans and they don't know who was in the band at a particular time and probably couldn't care less either.
They are fans because they like some songs or albums or they went to see them live at one point.
It's easy to lose perspective when you visit a forum like this because the people who post are not usually "casual fans".
but as a whole we are in minority and not representative at all.

Of course some musicians will mention Blackmore and Lord as influences. but it's also for stuff they did 40-45 years ago.
Not their more current material.






Fans don't know who is in the band they are paying to see???I find that hard to believe? How often have you went to a gig where you don't know the names of who you're going to see??I think you do a disservice to the "casual DP fan" and music fans as a whole!they are NOT in general mindless morons who just roll along to any gig to see whoever playing??
2/3/2016, 11:12 Link to this post Send Email to lightintheblack0   Send PM to lightintheblack0 Blog
 
ptr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 3079
Reply | Quote
Re: A matter of time ...


quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

niji wrote:

I'm with you here ptr.
Most fans are casual fans and they don't know who was in the band at a particular time and probably couldn't care less either.
They are fans because they like some songs or albums or they went to see them live at one point.
It's easy to lose perspective when you visit a forum like this because the people who post are not usually "casual fans".
but as a whole we are in minority and not representative at all.

Of course some musicians will mention Blackmore and Lord as influences. but it's also for stuff they did 40-45 years ago.
Not their more current material.






Fans don't know who is in the band they are paying to see???I find that hard to believe? How often have you went to a gig where you don't know the names of who you're going to see??I think you do a disservice to the "casual DP fan" and music fans as a whole!they are NOT in general mindless morons who just roll along to any gig to see whoever playing??



After my first show in 2003 I heard some guy saying "Their guitar player is really cool... but it wasnt Blackmore, was it?" - and believe me, I heard lots of similar stuff at various gigs. Actually - one of my friends was "lucky" enough to meet drunk guy at Heaven and Hell gig, who was shocked that Ozzy Osbourne stuff wasnt performed there and didnt know who the singer was! emoticon Actually when I went to Eric Clapton gig, I had no idea who were members of his band because I was there to see EC and I was sure that guitarist of his name is going to have only A+++ class musicians in his band - but actually - Eric was the only one who was important for me. Actually - for me, this was a slight issue on RW´s The Wall gigs, because it actually wasnt Roger Waters´s show (in terms of concert) - his role during the performance was pushed back, much more than in case of previous Dark Side Of The Moon Tour - where (IIRC) he played on bass for most of the show - in case of The Wall, he acted almost like "guide" of performance instead of being main performer.... emoticon BTW I remember one guy who went to Genesis show in 2007, who asked whether Peter Gabriel is going to sing with them or not.... But this is my extreme experience with "general" audience. emoticon

Last edited by ptr, 2/3/2016, 14:09
2/3/2016, 11:26 Link to this post Send Email to ptr   Send PM to ptr
 
purpelaar Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 06-2007
Posts: 496
Reply | Quote
Re: A matter of time ...


"Actually - this (you are not DP fan) is not type of comment which would offend me, because it´s such a hillarious silly statement that I just have to laugh emoticon
 But I´m a bit anger when you are replying to my opinions like "you are delusional" or "you cannot think this seriously" and this type of answers, these are sort of offending. "

Angry? emoticon

You have a very awkward way of reasoning and a insane taste.

Am I now hitting on you? emoticon
2/3/2016, 13:25 Link to this post Send Email to purpelaar   Send PM to purpelaar
 
purpelaar Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 06-2007
Posts: 496
Reply | Quote
Re: A matter of time ...


quote:

doggone wrote:

I miss the long 20 minute or longer jams. Mandrake Root, Space Truckin, Wring that Neck, You Fool No One etc never boring. Just the opposite, Exciting(IMHO)!!!





Do that with Morse and I ll commit suicide.
On the other hand, I can go for some groceries as well.
Nahhhhhhhhhhhh, I better stay at home.
2/3/2016, 13:27 Link to this post Send Email to purpelaar   Send PM to purpelaar
 
purpelaar Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 06-2007
Posts: 496
Reply | Quote
Re: A matter of time ...


quote:

ptr wrote:

quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:

quote:

niji wrote:

I'm with you here ptr.
Most fans are casual fans and they don't know who was in the band at a particular time and probably couldn't care less either.
They are fans because they like some songs or albums or they went to see them live at one point.
It's easy to lose perspective when you visit a forum like this because the people who post are not usually "casual fans".
but as a whole we are in minority and not representative at all.

Of course some musicians will mention Blackmore and Lord as influences. but it's also for stuff they did 40-45 years ago.
Not their more current material.






Fans don't know who is in the band they are paying to see???I find that hard to believe? How often have you went to a gig where you don't know the names of who you're going to see??I think you do a disservice to the "casual DP fan" and music fans as a whole!they are NOT in general mindless morons who just roll along to any gig to see whoever playing??



After my first show in 2003 I heard some guy saying "Their guitar player is really cool... but it wasnt Blackmore, was it?" - and believe me, I heard lots of similar stuff at various gigs. Actually - one of my friends was "lucky" enough to meet drunk guy at Heaven and Hell gig, who was shocked that Ozzy Osbourne stuff wasnt performed there and didnt know who the singer was! emoticon Actually when I went to Eric Clapton gig, I had no idea who were members of his band. Actually - for me, this was a slight issue on RW´s The Wall gigs, because it actually wasnt Roger Waters´s show (in terms of concert) - his role during the performance was pushed back, much more than in case of previous Dark Side Of The Moon Tour - where (IIRC) he played on bass for most of the show - in case of The Wall, he acted almost like "guide" of performance instead of being main performer.... emoticon BTW I remember one guy who went to Genesis show in 2007, who asked whether Peter Gabriel is going to sing with them or not.... But this is my extreme experience with "general" audience. emoticon





So because retarded people show up in your face you reason it is of no importance who is in the band. emoticon
2/3/2016, 13:32 Link to this post Send Email to purpelaar   Send PM to purpelaar
 
mtb7 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 03-2013
Posts: 771
Reply | Quote
Re: A matter of time ...


It depends on how you define casual [sign in to see URL] the last few weeks, with all that was going on regarding the HOF, I visited some other rock/metal websites reporting on the quarrel, and read the readers' comments there; most of them were fully aware of who RB is/was and what he is doing now - probably they have only heard a couple of BN songs, but they all knew his whereabouts, and the conflicts within DP. And most of them were identifying DP with him, I have to add. Which brings me to the conclusion that either RB has MANY diehard fans, or the CASUAL ones have a lot of respect for him (not for his current dress code, [sign in to see URL] funniest comment was something like "ok, I understand the issue about RB and DP, etc, but why do they have a Robin Hood picture to accompany the story?")
2/3/2016, 13:44 Link to this post Send Email to mtb7   Send PM to mtb7 Blog
 
ptr Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Purple fan
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 3079
Reply | Quote
Re: A matter of time ...


quote:

mtb7 wrote:

It depends on how you define casual [sign in to see URL] the last few weeks, with all that was going on regarding the HOF, I visited some other rock/metal websites reporting on the quarrel, and read the readers' comments there; most of them were fully aware of who RB is/was and what he is doing now - probably they have only heard a couple of BN songs, but they all knew his whereabouts, and the conflicts within DP. And most of them were identifying DP with him, I have to add. Which brings me to the conclusion that either RB has MANY diehard fans, or the CASUAL ones have a lot of respect for him (not for his current dress code, [sign in to see URL] funniest comment was something like "ok, I understand the issue about RB and DP, etc, but why do they have a Robin Hood picture to accompany the story?")



General audience is the one who is going to DP show to mainly listen to Highway Star, Space Trucking or Smoke On The Water and who is confused due to "deep-cuts" stuff - no matter from which period it comes, it can be Hard Loving Man, it can be Mule, No One Came... or Silver Tongue - everything which cannot be described as "rock radio hit". General fans (general audience) is confused by these songs, big fans love them. emoticon
2/3/2016, 14:04 Link to this post Send Email to ptr   Send PM to ptr
 
David Meadows Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

The Fountain Of Useless Knowledge
Global user

Registered: 09-2003
Posts: 5670
Reply | Quote
Re: A matter of time ...


quote:

lightintheblack0 wrote:
Fans don't know who is in the band they are paying to see???I find that hard to believe? How often have you went to a gig where you don't know the names of who you're going to see??I think you do a disservice to the "casual DP fan" and music fans as a whole!they are NOT in general mindless morons who just roll along to any gig to see whoever playing??



I was walking out of a DP gig in 1998 and passed a "fan" who was saying to him mate "Why did Blackmore start dying his hair blonde?" He said it totally straight faced, and to this day I still don't know if he was being sarcastic or if he really didn't have a clue who was in the band he just saw. But I suspect a lot of "casual" fans really don't care. As long as they hear Highway Star played by a band called "Deep Purple", they're happy with the gig.

---
"Music, shorn of labels and standing alone, when it is conceived, composed and performed with love and integrity, can elevate us all."
Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
2/3/2016, 17:22 Link to this post Send Email to David Meadows   Send PM to David Meadows
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3 ... 7  8  9  10  11  12 





You are not logged in (login)